PDA

View Full Version : clap for me ;)

Elninio
08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
I bought a milling machine this morning, used from gilbert story machinery for 750 bucks. My cross sliding vise cracked in half. More info on my progress to come but i am EXTREMELY EXTREMELY BUSY at this time right now with lifeguarding but once im free i will post tons of pics and maybe open a website after i machine 5 to 10 bmx stems. WTB ur used tooling near toronto!!
now i will leave you with some happy smilees:

:D:D:D:D

Elninio
08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
also the machine is in almost perfect shape, :D:D:D:D almost no wear at all and really solid, its the drill mill that ive been tlaking about last week.

miker
08-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Wow, at first I thought you wanted Penicillin!:)

Congrats on your machine. Look forward to hearing more.

Rgds

john hobdeclipe
08-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah, You'll like this much better than a drill press with a 2-piece cross vise!

JCHannum
08-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Congratulations on your purchase, I know you will be happy with it.

More importantly, cogratulations are due to you for sticking to your guns and getting out and earning the money to buy it.

wierdscience
08-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Hiphip hurrah!

Carld
08-31-2006, 02:07 AM
yeah, I though he was going out to get the clap or just got it:eek: :rolleyes:

IOWOLF
08-31-2006, 06:39 AM
"Wow, at first I thought you wanted Penicillin!:)''

I think he still does.:D

Millman
08-31-2006, 08:43 AM
[ almost no wear at all and really solid,] Now that's the part I like, Congratulations, Elninio.

torker
08-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Congrats Chris! Keep an eye on Fleabay for tooling.
If I remember right...isn't there a guy living at your place who can teach you a thing or two?
Russ

Elninio
08-31-2006, 11:23 PM
a little update, my exam is tomorrow morning, the machine paint is MINT, the paint chipped when the colum was separated from the base, i am also really surprised at the ease that i have in lifting these pieces, i can pretty much easyly lift everything except the head (with the motor on), i havent tried it but its size just makes it get a good grip on, i can lift the table which is practically a huge bar of iron with ease, the column wall is about 3/4 inch thick compared to my crappy 3/16th drill press. I need some way oil but my dad prefers to use bearing lube or motor oil instead of spending an extra 10 bucks for something thats actually recomended, the grease that came on the mill is solid and not liquid and looks like butter, came with 1 wood drill bit and a collet which makes me wonder if this mill was used to wood, that would explain its wonderful condition, also it was not used by hobbiest because the machine was never dis-assembled, came with a make shift stand but it looks flimsy. if i whiped the grease and dusted the inside of the motor i bet i could go to the toolex guys and say that "i want a refund a on mill i bought today) and they would probably take it, the dust is also wood dust, no metal chips are found in crevises, also the machinery guys managed to sell their 15k dollar orac lathe, i wonder what dope was stupid enough to buy it for anything more than 1000 bucks unless they lowered their price by 1500% :D lets just hope i pass my lifeguarding exam that way i wont have to pay to redo the exam and have that exta money to buy some tooling. I bet busy bee staff are starting to miss my bimonthly visits. Keep the chips flowing!

motomoron
08-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Congrats of the new machine!

I just broke down and squandered 10 bucks on a gallon of Vactra #4 way oil, which is funny cause I've probably got 20 grand worth of tools around here and it's the tiny stuff I fret.

Anyway, a gallon will last me forever, so shoot me your address and I'll put some in a bottle and send it your way. I may have some surplus endmills too.

That's what this place needs. A tool salvation army thing to shuttle cast offs from the tool-rich to the kids who show an interest.

torker
09-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Congrats of the new machine!

I just broke down and squandered 10 bucks on a gallon of Vactra #4 way oil, which is funny cause I've probably got 20 grand worth of tools around here and it's the tiny stuff I fret.

Anyway, a gallon will last me forever, so shoot me your address and I'll put some in a bottle and send it your way. I may have some surplus endmills too.

That's what this place needs. A tool salvation army thing to shuttle cast offs from the tool-rich to the kids who show an interest.
You do know you'll be shipping into Canada?

motomoron
09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
That's not such a big deal. A company I worked for moved to Toronto, and I commuted there every few weeks and shipped stuff back and forth constantly. I just had 125# of surplus optics shipped to MD from T.O. and it was about $100 USD.

US mail has a Global Proirity Mail service that's very reasonable for small stuff.

Elninio
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
passed my NLS exam, now im a lifeguard who can make 10-13 bucks an hour vs my freind who slaves @ mcdonals for 7-8 bucks. The bare metal is almost brand new, i can perfectly see my reflection in the column after wiping it with wd40. The small pulley on the smallest pullest is cracked, f***! // this leaves me with 3 options, buy a new one, find a machinist who can make me one, or find a tig welder who can weld it up. I love the condition of this machine but there are some downfalls, atleast i wont have to be shapeing the bed like most ppl do with their old machines. The power cable was touching the spline of the mill!!! WTF!!! this was installed at the factory too! , the protective covering was all gone and the wires were almost bare, its a 2 hp motor tho so i cant complain w/ that because the busy bee ones come with a 1 and 1 half HP / i cleaned it up by myself this night in 1 or 2 hours aside from the head which i needed a bit of help from my dad, tomorrow it will be in my basement and running for sure! The pully is still usable but its one of those things that are extremely hard to fix and that really gets to you, all in all im happy with it.