PDA

View Full Version : Bought old Walker Turner belt/disc sander

Carld
08-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Bought it at auction for $55. It looked good and was on a nice base with rollers. Got it home, motor was shot from metal dust inside. Cleaned it up and removed motor and I had one to put on it. It has a nice strudy 10" disc and adjustable table. Started looking over real good and found a part missing so I made the part. Then found bad bearings in the idler roller. Special size bearing no longer available. Got some for $60 that fit roller and made new shaft for idler. Found out it uses a weird length belt. It is 4" wide and will adjust from 50 1/2" to 52 3/4". Found a 4"x52 1/2" belt in MSC, will do more searching. This cheap sturdy buy is turning into a serious project. I built a 6x48 belt sander years ago for my brother-in-law and made a full set of parts for me but never put them together. Maybe I should have, then I wouldn't have bought this project. I should have known it looked to good to be a good buy. If it gets any worse I will convert it into a 6x48. When I can't get belts anymore 6x48 will be it's configuration, maybe sooner.

DR
08-31-2006, 07:12 AM
Odd length/width sanding belts are not a big problem. Google on "custom sanding belts" or various combinations of those terms. You'll find a bunch of companies making special sized belts. These companies are generally called "converters".

The good news is custom belts are generally less expensive than a stock on-the-shelf size, as long as you buy a minimum quantity.

A company I used to buy alot of belts from is Jet Abrasives in LA (aka Western Abrasives). I don't believe Jet sells direct. Call them and find a local dealer and order through the dealer. (this "Jet" is not related to Jet tools).

Most converters are independent, they aren't locked into any one abrasive supplier. If you have a difficult sanding problem call them and ask what abrasive they have that'd be best for your application.

Millman
08-31-2006, 08:40 AM
The bigger, the better. Now is the time to make the big guy!

Carld
08-31-2006, 02:54 PM
I just found a site called abrasivesales.com and they sell custom sizes. I emailed to find if I can mix grits in the minumum 12 pack order and shipping, etc. This may not be so bad after all and they are cheaper than MSC prices like you said.