PDA

View Full Version : anyone suggest a good??????

Alistair Hosie
08-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Shaper book which I can buy for my friend,I would prefer to order one which you guys could recommend. And also any literature on the net re the shaper I have found some there but you never know you may surprise me with some new stuff I have not come across your pal in Bonnie scotland :DAlistair

Norman Atkinson
08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Alistair,
I suspect that I have mentioned this before but knowing how good your em? is - arum arrer.

It is coming back to me- like breakfast on a rough night at sea.

Try Ian Bradley's the Shaping Machine and Tee Publishing.
Out of print but it deals with the smaller shaper.
Like wot your matey has.

He also did one on Lathe and shaper tools called
Shaping Machine and Lathe Tools and this was MAP Pub - or Argus
The ISBN is 0 85242 485 X

Right then- whoever you R!

Cheers and Lang may your lum reek

Norm

Alistair Hosie
09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanx Norm and lANG MAY YOORS REEK TOO:D Alistair

malbenbut
09-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Try this may be what u need
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shaper-Machine-Manuals-on-CD-suit-Model-Engineer_W0QQitemZ160022397794QQihZ006QQcategoryZ9 8641QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
MBB

Michael Moore
09-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Alistair, download this scan of some chapters on shaper and slotter work I just uploaded to my website. The zip file is nearly 6 megabytes in size, but it seemed easier to do it this way than putting up 30 different smaller files

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/Tools/shapers/ITCshaperslotter.zip

cheers,
Michael

Alistair Hosie
09-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys the one by marypopinsbag is meant to be very good but my elderly friend has no access to a computer as his wife hogs the one the own and wont let him near it so it has to be readable on paper .Anyway the other one I downloaded and am trying to find a way to make it print out any more ideas would be welcome thanks again guys Alistair

Optics Curmudgeon
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I seem to remember hearing that marypoppinsbag is either John Stevenson or someone related to him, try contacting him and maybe you can deal direct.

Joe

Alistair Hosie
09-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi marypopinsbag is gert herself John's wife. and a beautiful lady she is too Alistair

Al Messer
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Alistair, the Shaper manual that was put out by the U S Army for operating the 7 inch South Bend Shaper is available for free somewhere on line, but I haven't the slightest clue of the URL address. Someone on the Yahoo! Shaper List ought to be able to refer you to it. Ian Bradley's book is very good---wish I had bought a copy before they went out of print,.

ammcoman2
09-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Re Al's message - I downloaded this PDF Article a while ago. It is very comprehensive and easy to follow.

If you like I could E-mail it to as an attachment. Let me know off-line (gkingma@interlog.com)

Regards,

Geoff

Michael Moore
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
The Army manuals for South Bend, Mitts & Merrill, and Rockford shapers are among the info on my shaper page:

http://www.eurospares.com/shapers.htm

cheers,
Michael

Al Messer
09-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Atlas also had a good "Owner's Manual" for their 7 Inch Shaper, but I have not seen one for several years now. You may could purchase a re-print from Atlas Press Company. BTW---the Atlas was sold in Great Britain as an "Acorn"---same good little machine as written up in Ian Bradley booklet.