View Full Version : Collet Indexer

08-31-2006, 06:41 PM
What's a collet indexer for? The reason I ask is I just found out I have one! LOL! It's on the headstock of a 11x43 Logan Turret Lathe I'm learning to use.


kap pullen
09-01-2006, 08:41 AM

You can set up an auxiliary (self contained) spindle and drill bolt circles with a unimat spindle or similar.

Some make fileing guides consisting of adjustable yoke with two rollers to file flats on small nuts and shafts.

Gear cutting is a posibilty.

The English used to make extensive use of these attachments.

At least they were featured in Model Engineer magazine years ago.
Maybe John has a pic.

I have a filing attachment for the Darbyshire but seldom use it having a mill and indexer.


09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Is it a collet index, or a collet attachment?

Many lathes have either a lever drawbar attachment or a handwheel type drawbar to permit use of collets in the headstock for workholding. They are used for holding small parts, and offer higher precision than the three jaw chuck.

09-02-2006, 02:14 AM
More info ... I'm learning. It's a production collet attachment. Found some documentation on it in the back of my new operator's manual.

The collet indexer idea was from some documentation in the shop that "sorta" looked like it ....

Thanx, Bill