PDA

View Full Version : Emco V-10 Lathe motor needed

WJHartson
08-31-2006, 09:46 PM
I am trying to help a friend with an Emco V-10 lathe that went under water in Katrina. We have been unable to get the armature out of the field coil after much effort. Now we are looking for a replacement motor or something that we can adapt. The spec on the motor are as follows:

FFD WIEN is the manufacturer
115 Volts KW .45/.28
5.6/3.5 Amp 60 HZ
Rpm 3500/1700 Two speed motor
P33 (not sure what this is)
Type 80A/2/4ESM
7421807 (not sure what this is)

THe motor is made in Austria.

If we can't find a direct replacement we can make a mount and either bore the cog pulley or machine a new one and get a belt the right length.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advence.

Joe

wierdscience
08-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Sounds like you have an oddball OEM Euro motor there Joe.

If it were me,I would grab a 1/2-3/4hp 3~ motor and buy a VFD for it.I just bought a 1/2,115v input VFD the otherday for $108+shipping.1/2-3/4hp 3~ motors I have all over cheap.

WJHartson
09-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Darin, My Emco has a 3 phase motor and a Penta VFD. One of the problems is that the motor is a little smaller in size than the standard american motor. Your suggestion is definately and option. Thanks

Joe

wierdscience
09-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Maybe look at the Metric frame motors then,Leeson and Emerson have a good selection,who knows you might find one to match the frame you have,just a thought.

Too_Many_Tools
09-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Could you give us an idea of what you are having to do to the lathe to make it operational again?

An Emco lathe is well worth restoring.

Thanks

TMT

nheng
09-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I believe an IEC D-71 frame size will fit some of the smaller Emco lathes.

If you'd like to check it out, http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com has all of the frame dimensions under the METRIC motor tab on the left side of their home page.

I'd switch to 3 phase with VFD also because you can tune away from resonances in the gearhead for some precision jobs. But then again, it's nice to leave the standard wiring ALONE ;)

Oh yeah ... I've never seen a dual speed motor AND the same size as the original Emco for the small Maximats (7, 8).

Den

WJHartson
09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
TMT - The entire lathe was taken apart, cleaned and reassemblied. It was initially cleaned right after the storm with freash water and soap, them soaked in diesel which helped reduce the damage. The lathe is now ready to run except for the motor. The Emco lathes are definately worth saving.

Den - I will take a look at the link, thanks. I don't think the motors are the same on the Maximats 7 and 8 as the 10.

Joe

WJHartson
09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Leeson makes a 3 Phase motor that looks like it will fit and it is $119 and in stock. May have to cut the shaft down a little.

Darin, where did you get the VFD?

Joe

deltap
09-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I have seen treadmill motors adapted to small lathes. Some of the motors look small in diameter. Used with the treadmill speed control it would seem to be a low cost solution.

wierdscience
09-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Leeson makes a 3 Phase motor that looks like it will fit and it is $119 and in stock. May have to cut the shaft down a little.

Darin, where did you get the VFD?

Joe

Here you go,this is the one I ordered,it went up $2 thou.

http://web4.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/AC_Drives_-z-_Motors/GS1_(120_-z-_230_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS1-10P5

These are made in China,but carry a 1year warranty.They also sell other brands and sizes,but I picked that one because it had enough features without being overly complicated.

Get they're catalog,it has lots of goodies in it.

WJHartson
09-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Darin, I will check out the site. Talked to my friend a little while ago and he beat the armature out of the motor and is going to see if he can find someone to repair it. Told him that it would probable be better to go 3 phase and VFD but he wants to see what it will cost to get it fixed. We will see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Joe

john hobdeclipe
09-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Your lathe may be different, but on my Emco Mentor 10 (V10P) the motor is arranged with the fan on the extreme left end of the shaft, outboard of the drive pulley. I think this was done to keep from drawing swarf, coolant, and dirt onto the motor. It probably requires a longer than normal shaft on that end.

Blue Ridge Machinery may be able to help.

http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/index.html

WJHartson
09-02-2006, 12:33 AM
John, it is set up the way you describe. I think that any aftermarket motor will have to have the shaft modified to use the original cog pulley which consists of two washers and an open cog pulley section.

Joe

RobDee
09-02-2006, 12:35 PM
"115 Volts KW .45/.28"

This is the HP figure for this motor. I believe the Emco 220 volt motor doubled this rating, .45 KW = 450/746 watts or about 2/3 HP. 280 watts = about 3/8 HP for the 110 volt version so any motor that fit the location will work provided it has sufficient HP.

If it was one of my machines, I have two Emco lathes, I would retrofit a surplus treadmill motor like the ones sold at the Surplus Center for the original motor.

I've build machines with these and they work wonderfully well. I designed a bandsaw and the variable speed allow me to contour the blade speed to the work with the plus of maintaining almost full power torque.

Rob Dee