PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Mill Questions

wschoenbeck
09-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi to all. I have a line on a small horizontal mill made by Rotex. The lathes.co.uk site has a nice writeup. http://www.lathes.co.uk/rotex/ 20"x5" table, power driven in longitudnal axis, 12" long. travel, 5" Y-axis travel, 9" knee travel, 0.75" spindle bore. Was available with MT4 or B&S 9 or 10. Seller doesn not know what taper this machine has. Overall machine size is 36" x 36" x 31" high. 450lb. Has stand and the optional vertical head.

Anyone have any experience or other info on this machine? Nice size for a home shop and will complement my Clausing 8520 vertical and SB9A. The overarm should allow heavier cuts than I can take with the Clausing I should think. Seller says he has "lots of tooling" but will see what that means when I look at it tonight or tomorrow. I have some vertical mill experience but zero horizontal mill experience. Some of you guys have horizontal mills this size. Any comments or cautions? Thanks in advance.

bdarin
09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I have an Atlas horizontal mill. Old. Nice machine...with sharp cutters I get real smooth surfaces. Also good for gear cutting. Was careless and had a rag get pulled through the cutter once, chewed it up pretty good. So, obviously, you'll want to keep your fingers well clear of it.

DR
09-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I wonder if that's by the same company that makes Rotex punching machines?

Might be worth a search to find the number of Rotex, they're in the LA area I believe.

Awhile back I bought a small bench top press brake by Rotex. The machine is way out of production, a call to Rotex got me a parts list/instruction manual even though it hadn't been made for fifty or so years. They're friendly folks.

Ian B
09-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Looks like a nice horizontal mill. Having a round overarm, it may lack some of the rigidity of the more modern mills with dovetailed box section overarms. If you do buy it and find this to be a problem, then an overarm support something like this :

http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/page3.html

would make an ideal milling project, and should stiffen the whole machine up.

Good luck with your potential new toy,

Ian