PDA

View Full Version : OT Gorilla Glue

Arcane
09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
If you have pets and use Gorilla Glue, you'll want to know about this...

http://komotv.com/news/story.asp?ID=45238

wierdscience
09-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Ooh ya,saw that in one of my woodworking mags awhile back,nasty stuff the vapors are also harmfull if you have asthma.

Milacron of PM
09-02-2006, 12:34 AM
As an ex woodworker (for a living) I've never understood the popularity of glues other than just standard yellow glue for woodworking purposes. Properly jointed boards, edge glued with common yellow glue...even common white glue for that matter....will make a joint stronger than the wood itself.

You can prove this by dropping the glued boards from a great height and the boards will always crack somewhere other than the glue joint.

So why would anyone spend extra for "Gorilla" glue other than marketing BS ?

Frank Ford
09-02-2006, 12:44 AM
"Stronger than the wood itself" is a tricky issue. There's shear, tensile, peel and any other kinds of strength testing. My own personal issue is heat stress. PVA and aliphatic resin glues become quite liquid, slipping and sliding in heat - say at the temperature achieved in a car parked in the sun. Good old fashioned hide glue retains a far greater proportion of its strength in that situation. So, for us in the guitar repair industry, yellow glue has its limitiations. . .

J Tiers
09-02-2006, 12:56 AM
I think there are very good reasons, the ones I have!

1) it is essentially waterproof. The other glues take up water, soften, or utterly fail in water.

2) it is a "gap filling" glue, which will in fact fill gaps and actually add strength from that glue area. The others mostly tend to flow out from gaps, or add very little strength, if any, when they DO fill gaps. And when they dry, they shrink out of gaps.

The expansion is water-catalyzed.... you need to have some trace amounts of water present to get the glue to "go". Blowing thru the joint usually is good enough.

Aside from that, it is messy, a little temperamental, and btw it is messy. Did I mention the mess?

BadDog
09-02-2006, 01:01 AM
I've got a industrial surplus cart that I bought to use for mounting my belt grinders to roll them outside the shop to keep down the mess. It has large 8" Colson(sp?) double tire casters, and the "tires" started breaking up soon after I got it. I’ve glued the tires back on with Gorilla glue which is holding just fine so far. Try that with "white glue". There are a lot more uses for glue than just boards...

Milacron of PM
09-02-2006, 01:11 AM
There are a lot more uses for glue than just boards...

That's obvious enough, but I have the impression from "Gorilla" ads and the particular magazines I see them in, that Gorilla glue is marketed mainly for wood glue up usage. After a decade of building furniture every business day I can't think of a single instance where anything other than common yellow glue would have been any improvement. But as J point's out, perhaps Gorilla Glue is for "bad woodworking" where you need to fill gaps.. or marine woodwork.

oboedr
09-02-2006, 02:35 AM
I use gorilla glue under certain situations in musical instrument (oboe and clarinet) repair. These instruments are most often made of African Blackwood (aka Grenadilla) which is very dense and quite oily. When a crack occurs that runs through a tonehole, a common repair is to drill out the wood around the hole, plug it (usually with hard rubber or wood) and remachine it to the original dimensions. I like gorilla glue for this application because it is waterproof, adheres really well to the wood, and is flexible so the joint will not fail when the wood swells and shrinks due thermal and humidity changes.

There is a bit of a mess, but I clean this up after about an hour, when the glue is done foaming but before it has completely set. At this point, you can scrape away the excess and remove the residue with lacquer thinner. After it is clean I reclamp it.

I am always looking for something better. I don't like epoxy for this purpose (doesnt adhere as well to the oily wood) or cyanoacylate (too brittle). I have never tried yellow or white glues (moisture issues) or hide glue (how flexible is it?) Anyone have other ideas?

Evan
09-02-2006, 02:38 AM
For marine or aircraft applications the glue of choice is catalyzed resorcinol glue. When I worked on wooden aircraft nothing else was approved except some expoxies.

[added]

Two part resorcinol glue (Weldwood) works fine on oily wood and is the standard for gluing teak in marine applications.

JRouche
09-02-2006, 03:28 AM
On a side: The Gorilla glue folks make a tape similar in size to "duct tape". Stuff is expensive but very, very strong in stickiness and tear or pull strength. JRouche

Joel
09-02-2006, 03:28 AM
Yes, on a properly fitted long grain joint in an interior application, yellow glues excel, but this only one of many possibilities.

For furniture building, I pretty much always use aliphatic resin glue. For exterior projects, even those that will be under the covered porch, polyurethane glue is a better choice (although I have had good luck with PVA's like Titebond II in applications that will see damp, but not soaking wet environments).
While repairs to old and looser fitting joints benefit somewhat from the gap filling, I wouldn't count on it to add any significant amount of strength on anything that is more than a little loose.
I would suspect that its easier to get a stronger end grain joint with polyurethane glue, but I haven't done any actual testing to verify it.

The mess issue is considerably lessened by wearing latex or Nitrile glove.

BadDog
09-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Actually, haven't paid any attention to the adds. But I do agree on the wood glues. In fact, I just repaired some old wood pull out work surfaces (from an old desk) just last night using regular white glue (seems we are out of actual yellow wood glue). Never crossed my mind to use Gorilla Glue. I haven’t used it for long, but I find I like it for many types of things (like the tires) with materials that don’t readily accept white/yellow glue, but don’t rate epoxy. Strangely, I find I like it very well for most uses OTHER than wood, and the epoxy (both solid and liquid/paste forms) rarely gets much use any more unless I need formability and/or machine ability...

Millman
09-02-2006, 04:32 AM
I've brought up Gorilla Glue and Tape before. It works for cast iron to steel also. Back to the dog; I used to have pets, and protect them just like children, would you let your kids eat glue? Common sense should kick in once in awhile.

John Stevenson
09-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Perhaps they should make an episode of the Simpsons showing how not to use Gorrilla glue if they want to get it over to most of the population in the US ?
:D

Millman
09-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Yeah, or "King of the Hill". Hank could promote it with his Propane and propane accessories.

Alistair Hosie
09-02-2006, 08:49 AM
It could have been worse a child could have swallowed it I blame the dog owner look there are thousands of things which are very harmful around the kitchen never mind the workshop bleach etc the message is not to blame gorilla glue but the users must accept some responsibility.Keep all dangerous stuff away from children and dogs or keep children and dogs away from dangerous substances this kind of thing happens all the time people need to be educated not dogs sorry that's how I see it .Alistair

PTSideshow
09-02-2006, 09:21 AM
But did you notice the alien face in the x-ray above and to the right of the hand? Don't just about all glues and bottles of no food items around the house and shop have the disclaimer about keep away from childs and pets. I blame the pet owner for not paying attention.

Evan
09-02-2006, 09:33 AM
I blame the owner for not teaching the dog what the Mr. Yuck symbol means. I really don't worry much about my beardog, she won't even eat her peas. I've been seriously considering teaching her how to spell using alphabet blocks but she probably wouldn't like the taste to move them about. Not having hands is such a handicap and not having decent vocal cords is even worse. It's all about education, both the master and the children, er, dog.

paulgrandy
09-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I've had pressure leaks in the basement at the cement wall/floor joint for years. Tried lots of different caulks and concrete fills. Nothing seemed to work until I ran a bead of Gorilla Glue and smoothed it down with a popsicle stick. Worked like a champ. Ernesto just passed thru and everythings looking good.

Millman
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
I really can't see how a dog could really lap that stuff up, it's slick and sticky. But, a dog will eat anything.

DBW
09-02-2006, 09:47 AM
The reason I don't like it is than it's expensive and usually hardens in the bottle before I use it up!

Millman
09-02-2006, 09:57 AM
[hardens in the bottle before I use it up!] That's strange-I've had the same bottle for more than 3 yrs. and it never dried. This spring I noticed my Weldbond wood glue froze and was no good, but the GG withstood 0* and was still runny.

Evan
09-02-2006, 09:58 AM
But, a dog will eat anything.

Bah. Not my beardog. She is the fussiest eater I have seen. You give her some stew and she seems to eat it. When she is finished the plate will be absolutely clean with absolutely clean peas sitting on it without a toothmark. I have never figured out how she does it. She also won't eat potato chips without dip and doesn't like shrimp without hot sauce. If you put dry dogfood in her dish she will pick the dish up and drop it a few inches to make it clear that you forgot to drizzle some gravy on it.

I have a freshly skinned rabbit that a friend gave me in the the fridge. I haven't decided if to barbeque it or make a stew. I expect beardog will like it but we will see. She tells me all the time how tasty the rabbit in the front yard would be.

nheng
09-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I've gound that Gorilla snot holds poorly made/fitted chair leg spindle tenons in their mates together longer than anything else in very dry NE winters. Other than that, a real PITA to clean up, as already mentioned.

Evan ... wonder where she learned all of that from :D

PTSideshow
09-02-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.thistothat.com/
here is a glue site, answers to all the sticky questions in life :D

Millman
09-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Den, there is a product called "Gorilla Snot". You rub it between your fingertips to help get a better grip on your guitar picks. I haven't tried it yet.....why pay the money when a guy has copious amounts for free!

J Tiers
09-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Glues have different uses. The common woodworkers glues are "just glue"... they are not "structural" glue.

A "structural" glue is typically one which IS gap-filling, has some degree of water-resistance, and is strong in and of itself, as well as making a strong bond.

"glu-lam" beams presumably are put together with a structural type glue. Speaker cabinets that are hung up above peopl are put together with a "structural" type glue. Any place where it is pretty important that the joint not fail, you will find a "structural" glue.

They are rated for water resistance, etc, and fall into various types. It has been a while since I had to concern myself with the glue types, so I don't recall the criteria for classifying the types, but they include water-resistance.

Hide glue, and the box store woodworking white, yellow, etc glues are NOT structural glues.

The catalyzed resourcinol glue Evan mentioned is a "structural" glue.

"Gorilla glue" is a "structural type" glue, although I doubt if the commercial variety carries any ratings.

As a "structural type" glue, it is really not a "fine woodworking" glue. You would not use it to put together furniture.

But it will do many things well that are related to household woodworking. I have used it specifically for water resistance. I have used it after boring out stripped screwholes to hold in a piece of replacement wood (gap filling qualities) , etc.

I would NOT fix a chair with it, given any otehr choices..... Once you have used it, a later "proper" repair is nearly impossible due to the glue being on and in the wood, and then you would also have to get the joint apart, which is difficult.

paulgrandy
09-02-2006, 02:54 PM
http://www.thistothat.com/
here is a glue site, answers to all the sticky questions in life :D

I like it. They didn't include a few selections though. Like.... Glueing my bosses coffee cup to his desk with Super Glue. Ripped a circle in the formica when he finally did get it off. Super Glue also works good in locks. Really screws the tumblers up. And what about those stories of people getting Super Glued to the toilets in Walmarts?

Norman Atkinson
09-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Thought that this was an American thing- like going to bed with ourang outangs.Then I Googled for the UK equivalent! And 'Yes' we go to bed with them- but only the female ones. There is nothing queer about us!
Sorry, I digressed!
We do have Gorilla glue apparently.
So might I say to Oboedr, a Thank you for the clarinet and oboe information?
I do have a fair supply of African Blackwood.

One way to attract a readership, I suppose!

Thanks

Norm

Al Messer
09-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Gorilla Glue will not dissolve in Water after it has set up is the main reason I use it.

LarryinLV
09-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Will pigeons eat Gorilla Glue?

DirtDobber
09-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Woman set out her concrete gargoyle thingy statue while my back was turned. Went out the door and fell all over it while kicking it off the porch in order to break the wing of the statue off. Quite a train wreck to the bottom.

Killed it and myself both.

Statue weight approx 40 lbs. GG on the busted area after dampening, cleaned the area after dry. Tested by picking it up by the wing, very strong stuff. (No I didn't kick it down the steps again)

I healed naturally, kinda

JRouche
09-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Will pigeons eat Gorilla Glule?

No, only alka seltzer.

Oh wait, thats seagulls. JRouche

wierdscience
09-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I never use the stuff on wood,Titebond either version is fine.

I do use it on odd things like sticking drill templates down to concrete and locking push button switches into control cabinet doors.

When it comes to exterior wood work nothing,and I mean nothing beats resorcinol,it will pass a boil test.Besides only the best stuff causes cancer in lab rats:D

PTSideshow
09-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Here is another site for info on adhesives.http://www.beacon1.com/ have used the muti grip sort of like the GG onlyclear listed under the hardware/marine glue. the craft sections has a good info list.

Ed ke6bnl
09-03-2006, 09:24 PM
I really can't see how a dog could really lap that stuff up, it's slick and sticky. But, a dog will eat anything.

we have black lab as well they don't seem to car about the taste and wil chew anything in site seem like a inborn behavior, my old rotweiler wouldn't act the same way. ED