PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dayton tires??

wierdscience
09-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Well this fits my luck,I haven't had to change a flat on the road for 4-5years.

Until today,when I bought a new set of tires.One tire went flat while I was at lunch,I figured no biggie,just didn't pop out on the bead.I aired it up and went back to the tire shop.Half way there it went flat quickly and landed on the rim.Changed it and went on to the tire shop.Tireman aired it up and it produced a 3" egg in the sidewall and a 1" or so pucker in the bead on the inside.He said he never saw that before,but it had to be a defect in the bead.

These are Dayton tires which I have never had any problems with before,but I was wondering if this is another example of things not being what they used to be?

They have a 30 day free replacement/refund warranty and if Dayton has gone downhill I want to put them back on them before I have anymore problems.They are going to replace the tire no problem I just don't want to be using a four-way and a jack every week.

jmm360
09-01-2006, 11:35 PM
This happened on the day you bought them? What does that say about Dayton's QC? I'm sure every tire maker puts out the bad tire now and then, I've had one myself, but a failure like that on the first day would kill my confidence in them. If it was me I'd switch brands. Everything is riding on your tires.

e

winchman
09-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Dayton is a sub of Bridgestone-Firestone, and the tires are made in the USA. I'd expect they are the least expensive of the B-F lineup with quality to match the low price.

My guess is the dealer will probably give you credit for them toward the purchase of more expensive tires with the B-F name on them. If so, that's what I'd do. Like jmm360 said, "Everything is......."

Roger

dhammer
09-02-2006, 05:47 AM
"Tireman aired it up and it produced a 3" egg in the sidewall and a 1" or so pucker in the bead on the inside.He said he never saw that before,but it had to be a defect in the bead."

I would suspect that the bead was damaged when the tire was installed on the wheel. Usually it is the "top" bead that gets damaged, especially if the tire tech uses insufficient lubrication or improper installation techniques.

railfancwb
09-02-2006, 10:30 AM
FWIW, yesterday I put four 17" BFGoodrich tires on my F-150 to replace the four put on by the factory 80,000 miles ago. Hope these last as long! Charles

ACF
09-03-2006, 03:18 PM
I have Daytons on my truck now, and have no complaints. Going to get another set this month to pass inspection. The only tires I could have have bought cheaper were made in China. They lasted long and were good traction wise. Alot of "bang for the buck" and mine were made in Canada.

Chris