PDA

View Full Version : how to attach a 4 inch chuck to mill/drill spindle?

Elninio
09-01-2006, 10:51 PM
how to attach a 4 inch chuck to mill/drill spindle? i have a 4 inch chuck and it would be interesting if there was a way to attach it to the spindle? i know there has to be some sort of adapter but i cant find it anywhere!

doctor demo
09-01-2006, 11:12 PM
how to attach a 4 inch chuck to mill/drill spindle? i have a 4 inch chuck and it would be interesting if there was a way to attach it to the spindle? i know there has to be some sort of adapter but i cant find it anywhere!
i recently made a chuck backing plate with a one inch hardened dowell pin and apiece of plate steel, i boredan under sized hole in the plate put it on the stove top untill it was hot dropped in the dowell pin and let it cool down. then i chucked the pin end in my lathe's 5c collett and turned and faced the plate to fit the chuck. i use it in my tool grinder and it works fine .

steve

TGTool
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Elninio,

Mill spindles are usually holding cutting tools to be applied to work held on the table.

What are you aiming for with the chuck in the mill spindle? If you're holding cutting tools, collets work better. If you're putting a workpiece in the chuck, a lathe would work better.

Ian B
09-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Why attach chucks? Here's one reason:

Anyone who has a horizontal mill would then have a very handy, short bed, large swing lathe for occasional use. If a 4 jaw will fit, then so probably will the lathe's faceplate etc.

The same can be done with a verical mill, but spindle speeds are likely to be too high for large diameter turning. Lowest speed on my turret mill is 75rpm, while my much smaller horizontal mill goes down to 25rpm.

Ian

EDMTech
09-02-2006, 02:03 AM
I've done turning on mills before when necissary. Sometimes you have a quickie job and there isn't a lathe available or such (yes, I've done this in shops). I've actually heard of people setting up numerous tools in a row on a CNC mill and using it like a CNC lathe. Just set the tool offsets as work coordinate offsets (G54, G55, G56, W00, W01, etc) and go!

That's the great thing about machinery, the only limit to what you can do with it is your imagination :cool:

To answer the original posters question, what taper is your mill? Morse or R8? Morse taper chuck adapters are common and generally easy to find in small sizes, R8 might be more difficult. You could probably use a common and inexpensive boring head arbor and make a simple plate to mount the chuck to, but you will have to thread the inside of the plate to either 7/8"-20 or 1 1/2"-18. Those are the standard boring head thread sizes.