PDA

View Full Version : Iron Fever???

laddy
09-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey,
Did anybody go to Iron Fever at its new location? How was it??? There were too many unknowns and a further distance to travel so I didn't go. With the weather the way it was it may have been dicey. Was there a good showing of vendors and displays? Thanks Fred

Tin Falcon
09-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Yes went to Iron fever. polkskifran was also there and exhibiting. I got to meet and talk to cyborg462. Spoke with a machinist that said he was a lurker. Said he would like to post but feels too many jump in with negative coments. Also feels there is too much petty off topic dicussion. Do not shoot or flame the messenger!!
I enjoyed the show so did the boy and SWMBO. There was a pretty decent turnout. A good number of the regular vendors were there Nation builder books, meridian Machine , IMR service, Fred Eisner just to name a few. Littlemachineshop.com sent catalogs and order forms with a free shipping code.There was also a good turnout of exhibititors. There is still room for growth and Garry plans to do it again next year.
I was happy to get an Atlas 7" shaper at the auction.
Tin Falcon

TECHSHOP
09-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Didn't make it up there. Looked at the weather, available funds, the "honey do" list, and bravely hid in the shop. Hoping to escape to Cabin Fever, but can't predict my schedule that far out.

I still think this place is a whole lot less "negative" than many other places on the web, but a "well regulated" (just the machining, and nothing but the machining, sir) web site it ain't.

As for too much petty off topic dicussion, well what else do we have in common?

Optics Curmudgeon
09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Let's drag him over to the usenet groups and he can see what real abuse looks like. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize Iron Fever had moved. Where to?

Joe

PHiers
09-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Let's drag him over to the usenet groups and he can see what real abuse looks like. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize Iron Fever had moved. Where to?

Joe
Iron fever has moved to the Farmers Market at Leesport, PA. Probably won't even be around next year. :(

TECHSHOP
09-03-2006, 05:42 PM
If I remember, it has moved back to where Cabin Fever started. I think the main issue with Iron Fever attendence is the timing: near a holiday, children going back to school, change of season, the pre-harvest prep...

All those things really take up a man's time, and attending a show nears the bottom of the list. I remember the "guest" editorial in on of the VP magazines awhile back, so there must be no "perfect" time.

John Stevenson
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Timing is an issue that isn't easily resolved.
In the UK we get quite a few shows, usually well attended as we don't have as far to go.

They have stuck a new one in the calender this years at the London Olympia venue.
They asked clubs and traders what dates suited.
The clubs wanted December 26th to the 30th as it's holiday but the traders wanted pre Christmas as again it's holiday and they won't be able to get staff to stay away.

The result was they stuck to the original dates and the trade is not going.
Now clubs get stands for free to bring the paying punters in at door fees.
Traders pay for stands, anything from £500 to about £3,000
Now the punters don't know that the trade stands aren't going so they will roll up and only get 1/2 a show and no chance to buy any goodies and save shipping as many do and will door takings be enough to break even ?

Add to this there is also a London show on about the 20 / 21 / 22 of January at Alexandra Palace, an established venue and well attended. Last year saw an attendance of 21,000 over the 3 days.

Only Harrogate is better at nearly 30,000 for 3 days.

Be interesting to see if the Olympia show is on again in 2007 and what dates ?

[Edit]

Just a heads up on the next show for UK readers or anyone who's UK side in October.
The next show will be at TEE's place on the Fosse at Lemmington, this is the old Midlands show that used to be at Donington.
It's a 6 day show from the 13th of October to the 19th.
Usual trade stands and club stands plus the SMEE workshop.
I believe Dr Giles Parkes will have his hobbing machine there doing helical gears.

Sprocket
09-03-2006, 09:05 PM
This is the first Iron Fever I've missed since it began. Some how a 500 mi. each way trip on a holiday weekend didn't sound like as much fun as it could be. Thought we'd save the money and maybe go to Cabin Fever. Never been to that one. So I stayed home and worked on my current project.Any body around New England, don't forget American Precision Museum show the end of October. I exhibited there last year for the first time ever, and it was fun. I plan to do it again. Hope to have another motor finished by then.