PDA

View Full Version : Labor day - how are your laboring?

rockrat
09-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Ahhh... A day off. So what have I been doing?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/projects/IMG_1879.jpg

I made a dividing head plate for the ol Van Norman.

Here is the blank.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/projects/IMG_1880.jpg

Will be making the 3rd of the set today.

So, what are you all up to today? Projects?

rock-

J Tiers
09-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Hah..... building a new gate....

Used the shop a couple days a go to make some custom clips to hold a new solar panel to the frame, that's about it.

Ken_Shea
09-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Rock,
It is nice to have a day to do what you want and not what you have to.
Part looks great.
My morning has been essentially spent goofing off reading forum post.
However my mind is on thinking how to incorporate a disengage device for the engage threading lever on the lathe.
When doing 10-12tpi or more it is not that difficult but that carriage dial moves to fast (for me) to stop at a consistant place when threading fewer TPI.

Elninio
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM
my mill drill was set up and running at mightnight yesterday! really solid! too bad everything is closed cuz using the old tiny drill press vice aint cutting it (not literaly cutting it!). School starts tuesday for me too so thats a bummer. So far am very pleased with the mill. Also it it possible to get less than 0.001" play in the dial? That seems to be the case for the Y axis but for the X i have like 0.005" of play. So thats what ill be doing today , tramming =)

jimmstruk
09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Rockrat, beautiful work. Now how about showing your method of indexing to accuratly drill the plate? JIM

Millman
09-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Building a steel guitar, mostly woodworking,...maybe make it out of acrylic, don't know yet. Ebony for the nut, aluminum for the bridge.

madman
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Yeah that was it fixed Audreys Kitchen blinds, put some dishes in the dishwasher, spent hours on youtube.com looking at all sorts of short video clips. Was gonna do some shop work i have to also make a new sector plate for one of my dividing head plates that was bust when i bought it. News at work bout the die shop closing has kinda bummed me out. I been there three years and enjoyed it now again near 50 years old and gonna be unemployed. First weekend where i didnt get drunk and go party. Must be gettin old. Later Madman

IOWOLF
09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Nice cool day .so the wife and I moved some firewood closer to the shops furnace.

Tin Falcon
09-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Guys:
Spent most of the day cleaning the basement. Also some time cleaning lubing geting familiar with the controls and operations of the new shaper.

john hobdeclipe
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Haven't done a thing! Slept late, sat on the front porch and watched the long overdue and much needed rain while eating breakfast. Sent a couple emails. Sat on the back porch and read (Ernie Pyle bio) while listening to the rain. Fell asleep on the couch. Wife & I went for a drive. Came back and fell asleep again while reading and listening to the rain.

My idea of a really nice day.

Tomorrow it's back to work on a million or so projects.

SGW
09-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Well, let's see...went shopping, dropped off a package at Staples to be shipped UPS, came home, mowed the lawn, worked on a chair caning job, glued another chair back together, cleaned the jet in the water softener, cleaned the aerator on the kitchen faucet, put a turnbutton on a cupboard in the kitchen, replaced a burned-out lightbulb in the bathroom, and probably some more stuff I don't remember.

Evan
09-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Building a steel guitar, mostly woodworking,...maybe make it out of acrylic, don't know yet. Ebony for the nut, aluminum for the bridge.

Any steel in it? :D

Slept in 'til 5:30 this am. Puttered in shop most of morning. Went to town and picked up a few things and changed oil on the PT. Had long nap. Really warm here today at around 90f. Humidity is up to 28%.

rockrat
09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Rockrat, beautiful work. Now how about showing your method of indexing to accuratly drill the plate? JIM

Indexing? Rotary plates? Layout with cordax?
These are all things I only once worried about.

What me worry?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/projects/IMG_1882.jpg

Autocad and CNC. Let the machine poke all them holes.

And yes, there is a part on the machine. The photo was taken to make fun of a buddy. Looks like I'm the one being made fun of.

On a side note, that little $10 pump at Harborfreight that is noted as a birdbath pump or something.... It is running a flood coolant system in a 5gal bucket on the machine. Works good. (Till all them chips get through it a few times)

rock-"The Aristocrats"-rat :D

Tinkerer
09-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Well I and the wife went for a ride... had a pleasant visit with some nice folks. And then ended up being stalked all the way home by some " OLD IRON ". :eek:

In Other Words A Great Day... :D

Weston Bye
09-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Labor Day? Never belonged to a union. I'll take the day off, though.
Had all the kids and grandkids over this weekend for my 56th birthday.
Spent some quiet time this morning on a new article for HSM, then put up a few pieces of trim in the new house and then did a little landscaping outside - about 30' of 2' high retaining wall.

darryl
09-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Got motorcycle out of shop. That was the labor part. Went for a ride with friend, then watched while she fixed a pc at her workplace, went for more ride, did timmies (tim hortons), went for more ride, then more ride after she went back to work. She labor, I not. I sit in front of pc now, thinking about laboring, not doing any.

Different story yeaterday. I delivered the folks to a cruise ship terminal. They're alaska bound. We directly followed the instructions given by the cruise company to get to the proper dock where the ship was. One problem- instructions were no good at all. After wasting over an hour in the heat and traffic, not to mention fuel waste, we were finally told by a dock worker that this was a known bad instruction set, ( she had been re-directing people all day) and were told the right directions. I needed a beer after that.

I'm going to consider raising the glass to my lips as labor, since I did nothing else after that point.

wierdscience
09-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I woke up late,lugged some wood I needed to resaw out to the shed and did that most of the day between water breaks and lunch,still spitting out dust.

Hey Rock,nice looking plates,never figured you for a sophisticated wine commonsewer:D

Evan
09-05-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm going to consider raising the glass to my lips as labor

That is a very popular exercise in this town. It's easy to tell when you see how extremely fit everybody is.:rolleyes:

IOWOLF
09-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Rockrat, nice sign on the mill,I wonder where you got it. :)

Millman
09-05-2006, 05:56 AM
I thought that looked familiar! Wonder how many more are out there, thanks to you, IO?

Millman
09-05-2006, 06:00 AM
{{Any steel in it? }} Yeah, Evan, I may just buy one of those crappy old Southbend lathe beds on Ebay to make the neck and body from! I'll probably only be able to play "Heavy Metal" on it , though.

IOWOLF
09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Should be one in every shop, on every machine.

Evan
09-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Millman,

Won't work. South Bend lathes are made from cast iron, not steel. You need some common sense. :D

PBMW
09-05-2006, 12:29 PM
What have I been doing all weekend?????????
Putting the barfeed on the lathe and moving machines around the shop in preperation for the new VMC
Had to move the SL10 to get the barfeed in the door, Going to turn the Minimill 90 degrees so the new machine can sit beside it in a cell
All done with a couple skates, a 2 ton pallet jack and a 3 1/2 ton floor jack

Millman
09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
{{You need some common sense.}} You nailed me to the cross on that mistake! Way to go!

Magic9r
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Careful, that's Blasphemy in the U of K!

Millman
09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
You guys put too much importance on death. It 's not that bad. Very peaceful.

Magic9r
09-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Oh no,
you've got me all wrong,
I'm very Zen about the big one,
I just think you should consider that what goes around - comes around, some people have just already decided that they want to be a slug in the next life.

rockrat
09-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Rockrat, nice sign on the mill,I wonder where you got it. :)

Yup, added a bit to the end. Everyone close to me knows that I trained my dog in German so they see the sign and dont try to read it. Those who do bother to try leave laughing. Its like a hidden easter-egg. Nice find Wolfie.

rock

Evan
09-05-2006, 08:47 PM
http://vts.bc.ca/pics/hund1.jpg

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/sig2.gif

rockrat
09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok, I got everything, general understanding that is..... but freilaufender?
My dictionary doesnt even have that word. A breed of dog?
Help.

felsratte- :D

Evan
09-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Freilaufender, literal translation is free running. In others words, loose.

For everyone else, It says:

WARNING

Loose dog. If the dog comes then lie low and wait for help. If no help comes then... Lotsa luck.

TECHSHOP
09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Mostly been doing inside work, because the rain has been filling the pool faster than my little pump can bail. Have some paid for "project" machine waiting for pick up when the rain stops. A few smaller tools in the truck cab waiting to be moved into the shop. Need to set up the tent to rearange the shop, summer stuff to the back, winter stuff to the front...

Was off Fri, Sat and Sun. Worked Mon, short day Tuesday, and off Wed and Thur. Semi-retired (damn health care costs) and I still can't get a holiday off, good thing I'm union!