PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up my tailstock taper

hornluv
09-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I took a look in my tailstock the other day and was pretty shocked at how rough the taper was. What's the best way to clean it up without ruining the concentricity of the hole? Should I just use a reamer and turn by hand? Mount it in the 4 jaw and single point it?

Thanks,
Stuart

billr
09-09-2006, 08:40 PM
good evening.

taper reamer. lots of oil. don't turn it backwards. keep turning until it is out. do this by hand.

why is it rough? you been spinning tapers?

peace.
billr.

wierdscience
09-09-2006, 09:09 PM
What Bill said,plus you may need to face a few thou off the end of the TS barrel.Sometimes a lathe has it's taper cleaned up several times in it's life which makes the socket get deeper.Only problem is taper shanked drills and reamers sometimes have waist bands that bottom out on the front of the barrel which leads to more tapers spinning.

hornluv
09-09-2006, 10:59 PM
billr wrote:

"why is it rough? you been spinning tapers?"

Not that I can recall. It's not like it has a bunch of gouges in it or anything, just little dents and divots. I guess it's just from a bunch of years worth of changing between the live center and the drill chuck. I've always been really concious of cleaning off the MT shanks before I put them in there, but I know chips have had to have gotten in from time to time. I remember seeing a little rubber cleaning tool for getting chips out a long time ago, but I can't seem to find that in any of my catalogs now. It was a handle that had fins spiraling around it which corresponded to the taper. Do you guys know anything about those?

Thanks,
Stuart

JCHannum
09-09-2006, 11:07 PM
One of the taper cleaners is called Spindle Mate. Look in tool catalogs under spindle cleaners or spindle socket cleaners.

MSC part number 84988476 for MT#3 cleaner. www.mscdirect.com

Millman
09-10-2006, 12:30 AM
[just little dents and divots.] Now is the best time to ream it out. Let it get too bad, and it can be a bear. Seen some so bad every tang had to be cut just to get it to hold anything.

Mike W
09-10-2006, 12:56 AM
I believe it was Forrest that said to use a brake cylinder hone to clean up a morse taper.

Carld
09-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Buy a morse taper reamer of correct size and carefully clean up the taper as described above. Just clean it, do not cut hard.

Always keep a rag or chuck or live or dead center in the tailstock. I NEVER leave the tailstock open period. I always blow and wipe it out with each change of tool. I guess you would say I am a fanatic about this.

I also completely clean the headstock taper before use. I also file or stone any blemishes of the tapers I will put in the tail or headstock taper.

You take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.

Millman
09-10-2006, 11:35 AM
[I guess you would say I am a fanatic about this.] No, Carl, that's just being smart.