PDA

View Full Version : Help OT

charlie coghill
09-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I am in need of a eaton two speed axel. This axel is under a 5 yard international dump truck. The cover has been leaking oil so I thought that I would reseal it.

While cleanning the in side of the housing I found a large chunk of metal laying in the bottom. I need to know where it came from. I can not see any place that the metal could have broken off unless it was up some where around the two speed shifter and I can't see back in that area.

I think the ring gear has been changed as the cover has been heated and hammered out so the cover would clear the ring gear. There were two spots that the ring gear still rubbed aginst and I heated and hammered out those two spots.
If some one has one that they could copy or what ever I would be glad to pay.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

John Stevenson
09-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Years since I worked on one if they are the same as the UK versions.
Do you have a picture of the bit, I may be able to recognise it.
I do have some planet spindles left from old ones, they are solid phossy bronze sticks :)

jimmstruk
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Charlie,, Like John it has been years since I have overhauled one of those,,but a picture of the broken part might help identify the piece. JIM

charlie coghill
09-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok I will get a pic up as soon as possible. I have an eye exam tomarrow so I may not get it done tomarrow. Its a 100 mile round trip.

wierdscience
09-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I have somewhere a shop manual about 4" thick that covers Dana,Rockwell,Eaton and Fuller.Let me know what year/model the truck is and I'll see if I can find some info if you need it.

charlie coghill
09-11-2006, 09:41 PM
John and Jim I posted the pic to photobucket. The first 6 pic are of the differential.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0903/kcprecision/?sc=1&addtype=local

Weird, the truck is an 1972 international 1600 loadstar, 392 engine. 5 yard dump. The differential is an eaton 2 speed.
Thanks all.
Charlie

wierdscience
09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Oh that is ugly,looks kinda like part of the shift dog that drops it in and out.Is the two speed working?

My brother used to work for IH trucks,he might know off hand what that is.

We used call those trucks "Intertrashinal Garbagestar 1600's",not because of anything bad,just the most common use for them was compactor trucks:D

menace
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
That almost looks like a piece of a broken axel! When a truck breaks an axel on the way to deliver a load, we would change the axel where it broke and hope we fished all the little pieces out of the housing and give it a thorugh cleaning once its delivery was done and it returned to the shop!! You said the rear cover looked like it was hammered upon, well that might have been your hammer and what caused the cover to leak! You didn't say if the diff still worked or not, if it does, IMHO, it needs a good cleaning and bearing inspection to see if any small chips made there way into the rollers and race! Hopefully, you'll be lucky.

Steve

charlie coghill
09-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Menace, the rear cover was hammered on. You can see the heat marks and the indentation from a ballpeen hammer.

The differential does work and the two speed shifter seems to work. When I work the shift button I can hear the shift motor run. Now weather it is actually going into the next range I can't say for sure. I have one set of dules off of the ground and spinning the wheel will turn the drive shaft no matter what position the shifter is in.

My thought are that some where in the past life of the truck the third member has been changed to a unit that used a larger ring gear hense the hammered rear cover. There are a couple of other indications that suggest this. The axel housing has been motified to except the larger ring gear and its supporting structure..

Evan
09-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Did you find a bunch of smaller bits of metal or just that big piece? If that was the only bit in there then I think is must have been left in there somehow from previous work. A piece that looks like that doesn't just somehow break out of a larger bit all by itself. That piece is ripped and torn on three sides. There would have to be other smaller debris. I would also expect the oil to have a metalflake look to it.

I did some work in the motor pool back when I was in the army. It was a good way to get out of less pleasant duty like KP. One day I was changing out a diff on a CJ that had blown up. When I drained the oil the metal was clanking in the bucket. I pulled it and asked the sargent if I should flush it out. He told me not to waste the time and just slap in another diff from a stripper CJ we had.

I wouldn't be suprised if somebody left that in there.

menace
09-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Charlie, the 2 speed motor is DC reversing motor that turns a spring loaded screw attached to the shift lever. Actual shifting takes place when backlash is "felt", enabling the fork spring to overcom the holding pressure on the gears enabling the shift to happen! If you remove the motor, default speed is low. The 2 spd diff runs Hot as low speed is planetary, and the small gears revolve on bronze shafts creating more friction than bearings, thus heat, leaving hot looking stains and odors inside the housing! Carefully check the teeth on the ring gear, pinion and look into the spiders and planetaries with a small mirror for chipped teeth. You probably got lucky, fish around with a magnet, see what comes out! If you don't intend to pull it , I'd at least pull both axels and flush the tubes with fuel and push some rags through with a broom handle, thats where the crap would sit from a busted axel. You can push it in and it , if any will fall to the bottom of the banjo where you can get it out!
I had 69 R190 International 6yrd dump with a 450 6cyl, and a 75 2070A Fleetstar 10 wheel 18 yrd dump with 290 cummins 13 spd RR also a cornbinder. Tough trucks, yours ain't ready to quit yet!! Keep us posted!

Steve

jimmstruk
09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Charlie,, I also would guess your piece of scrap to be a piece of shattered axle shaft. Other advice about using magnet, good cleanout, new oil, is good. If truck has no grinding or clunking noises probably OK. Also like was said , a good visual inspection of ring & pinion while you are there. Good luck JIM

LastOldDog
09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Hmmm, interesting technique on the safety wiring. A few basic examples can be seen here.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/pilotslounge/safetywire.htm

Evan
09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
The difference is that if the safety wire doesn't hold in the diff the propellor doesn't fall off.

I just love safety wire. http://homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/images/icons/icon13.gif Poked one piece completely through my left index finger once at about the area under the fingernail and just over the bone. Stuck out the other side. Pulled it out and one drop of blood each side and it stopped. Didn't hurt much and within a few hours there was no visible indication it happened, sort of like acupuncture.

LastOldDog
09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
The difference is that if the safety wire doesn't hold in the diff the propellor doesn't fall off.

I just love safety wire. http://homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/images/icons/icon13.gif Poked one piece completely through my left index finger once at about the area under the fingernail and just over the bone. Stuck out the other side. Pulled it out and one drop of blood each side and it stopped. Didn't hurt much and within a few hours there was no visible indication it happened, sort of like acupuncture.

At the risk of too much OT chatter, 50's, awaiting transfer, hung out in the parachute loft ("If it doesn't open. Free exchange"). Airframes, ("You bend it, you bought it"), and the engine rooms. I thought these guys could safety wire a Wright 3350 turbo compound faster than Grandma could crochet a doily. Not so, this was serious business. And yes I heard all the comments, "On a 10 hour flight this rocker arm will push a valve xx,xxx times, how many push-ups can you do in 10 hrs?"

New thought:
Your quote > "The difference is that if the safety wire doesn't hold in the differential housing the propeller doesn't fall off". So now you want bell-crank mounts, control rods, banjo fittings, pivot pins, fittings, oleos wired too? Well yea , no s__t. Actually, be it not for all the guys promoting safety, we may have been the sea hoping for rescue. Korea.

Wheels down, flaps down, hook down, . . . . . . "CUT"

Lloyd

wierdscience
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Charlie,the expert on my end agrees it's probibly an old chuck of axle.He says if anything that big were busted out of the two speed it wouldn't work at all.

charlie coghill
09-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks fellows for your replys. They are mind conforting. I sure hated the idea of pulling the 3ed member. I am getting too old for that stuff.

Weird thanks for checking for me. I think that it may well be an old axel due to small radius and also the fact that the third member appears to have been replaced with a different style or model.

CCWKen
09-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Not to grab your thread but since it involves rear-ends... Opened the case on the Model T and found what was left of a Babbitt thrust washer. The second picture is the back side of the ring gear. Something sure was banging around in it too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/Model%20T/2006_0805Shop0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/Model%20T/2006_0805Shop0006.jpg

J. Randall
09-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Ken , I reworked one similar to that a while back for a friend. The shoulder on both sides of the carrier was worn off so much I had to build them both up and turn them to size. James

Yankee1
09-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Hello neighbor,
Charlie that sure looks like a chunk of axle that came apart under load.
I think every one has got this one correct. I have spent 50 years working on vehicles and thats what it looks like to me.
From the mountains of Merlin.
Regards Chuck Marsh

charlie coghill
09-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the post Ken, that differental looks like it has been used for grinding rocks.
Chuck, glad to see some one that is close to home. If you are ever up this way stop in. I try to get up that way for the Potsvill steam up, that is if it does not conflict with the steamboat meet at Klamath Lake.
Charlie