PDA

View Full Version : Need a dab more room

Norman Warfield
09-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I bought a new pencil sharpener yesterday and I couldn't find a place to hang it. I think I need to expand just a tad.

I need two isles anyway to walk through, my dog will find the tightest isle area and that's where she lays. It's funny, but it can get nervey at times. When the chips get nasty I put her out.

I still enjoy the hell out of it though, I always find a way to get through.

Keep up the good work and the good posting I find myriads of good stuff here, I will contribute whatever I have whenever I get it.

John Stevenson
09-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm repairing a pencil sharpener at the moment at the customers premises because if I bring it home I have nowhere to put it.

Had to send a truck away today with two pallets on, to come back tomorrow as the fork truck has some bits of it for repair and it's blocking the yard.

Pity you can't store stuff in your wallet, that's always empty :confused:

PTSideshow
09-11-2006, 09:09 AM
had same problem with no wall space to mount it. mounted it to a block of wood, then when needed it use mounted it in the vise and cranked away. Pity ya didn't get a small battery operated one that you can have in the pile on the bench.:D

Evan
09-11-2006, 09:32 AM
"Hang on the wall"

Now that's funny! :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/g1.jpg

Millman
09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
At least you guys can FIND your pencils.

Hexhead
09-11-2006, 01:02 PM
The back of a shop door is a good place to make shelfs and put things. I've built small shelves (with small lip) on mine and put 1/2" elastic straps from one side of the door to the other. I put paint cans on the shelves and the elastic holds them on the shelves and against the door I have three rows separated by the hight of the cans. You could put many other things on the door just remember to watch what the back of the door hit when opened. You might need to add a stop.

john hobdeclipe
09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
At least you guys can FIND your pencils.

That's funny, too.

Timleech
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
"Hang on the wall"

Now that's funny! :D

Something wrong there Evan.
Too much floor showing.
You could get at least one full-size machine in that space ;)

Tim

ERBenoit
09-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Pity you can't store stuff in your wallet, that's always empty :confused:

How true...

Norman Atkinson
09-11-2006, 03:01 PM
You can drag a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

And then

" Why is a raven like a writing desk"

because it slopes with a flap?

Oh Yes!

Norm

Evan
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Something wrong there Evan.
Too much floor showing.
You could get at least one full-size machine in that space

That's an old pic Tim. There are a couple of machines in the way now. :D

Norman Atkinson
09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
And Evan? dare we ask?

Norm

Evan
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
My Strands drill press, rotary converter, horizontal bandsaw.

I actually do have a lot of spare space in the garage. I could easily fit in a Bport and a big lathe up to 10 feet. I don't have a need for such equipment nor is it readily available around here. A shaper sure would be nice though.

Norman Atkinson
09-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Evan,
And that was not the answer

Norman

Evan
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
The ear is not better. More appointments, more expensive drugs, no hearing. Because of where we live one of the appointments requires a 7 hour drive, round trip.

Norman Atkinson
09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I once read the consultant ear surgeon's report on my hearing tests.
As both ears were almost identical in reception he formally concluded that there was:-

"Little between the two of them"

Just a remark from someone who has been before!

Norm

wierdscience
09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I bought a new pencil sharpener yesterday and I couldn't find a place to hang it. I think I need to expand just a tad.

I need two isles anyway to walk through, my dog will find the tightest isle area and that's where she lays. It's funny, but it can get nervey at times. When the chips get nasty I put her out.

I still enjoy the hell out of it though, I always find a way to get through.

Keep up the good work and the good posting I find myriads of good stuff here, I will contribute whatever I have whenever I get it.

You must be a rich aristocrat,you have a bench grinder AND a pencil sharpener?:D

TECHSHOP
09-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I think I have the last "made in the USA" steel pencil sharpener. I too have not found a place in the shop for it. It sits by the computer, slightlty underutalized. I saw a plastic pencil sharpener that hooks onto pegboard, but that could be considered cheating. Tend to use the belt sander in the shop for this task any ways (knives are way too dangerous for this machinist).

John Stevenson
09-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Belt sanders are the normal way to sharpen pencils.
The Germans make most of them, niche market, they normally run about 15,000 pencils per hour but if you want to offset speed against quality then you can up them to about 24,000 per hour.

ptjw7uk
09-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Enjoying the banter and my $.02 worth.
why is it a pencel lead when its graphite!!!

Peter

Evan
09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
They used to be lead. Try it. Lead writes just fine. Very permanent too.

See here:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1195234.htm

Norman Atkinson
09-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Errr, um! Google www.pencils.co.uk/ for the Cumberland Pencil Company,
Southey Street, Keswick. Just Back o'Skidda' from the family seat at Caldbeck in the English Lake District.Keswick with John Ruskin and William Wordsworth and a line of greats. John Peel in't Caldbeck and my Great Grandma Annie Hodgson, the little schoolmistress.Grandpa' poaching salmon in the Derwent.' Normie' on Sharp Edge on a verglas covered Blencathra or doing the run across the 'tops' or doing the Horseshoe on the contiguous aretes.

Just a memory!

Norm