PDA

View Full Version : OT- why you dont fly on a Chinese Airline...

BillH
09-12-2006, 09:24 PM
http://ships.bouwman.com/Planes/Bad-Jet-Engine.html

Well they sure know how to get things done on a minimum budget, hey its not that bad right? Its not like these people produce machine tools for us to use...

wierdscience
09-12-2006, 09:39 PM
What did they suck through the engine,a crate of they're bolt cutters:eek:

I do wonder though about some of our planes that fly over and sound like an engine is pretenting to be a rock crusher.Just what does make all that noise anyway?To me it sounds like something hitting the fan,or a bent balde hitting the cowl.

Evan
09-12-2006, 10:28 PM
That looks like multiple bird strikes. I was flying on an L1011 quite a few years ago from Dulles to SF. I was sitting in the very front. About halfway I began to smell the distinctive aroma of burnt wiring. I called a stewardess over and quietly told her about this. She headed into the cockpit. A while later the smell began to fade. I never did find out what breaker they flipped to stop the fire that was about to break out and kill all of us.:eek::eek::eek:

J Tiers
09-12-2006, 10:33 PM
I think I have yet to fly on any airliner that does NOT have at least a faint tang of burnt wiring, or toasted circuit board.

If you fly on military aircraft, they may have stuff hanging loose, and smell of everything..... maybe not now, the way they have gotten all safety-conscious.

thistle
09-13-2006, 06:23 AM
I was flying the atlantic once on the wing and had an enjoyable time watching screws backing out of a plate on the wing , must have lost 6
fasteners on the trip.
Ever go up the stairs the old fashioned way, not on the jet way and look care fully at the fans - I have seen holes the size of a quarter in several blades from FOD,hmmmmmm
Of course since you pay for the lowest possible fares, and thus service what do we expect?

menace
09-13-2006, 06:34 AM
It was 1970, and I was going home on my first leave from the Marines and had a flight on a prop-jet from N.C. to D.C.! My seat was opposite the left engine. While looking the engine, a big Rolls Royce with a giant 4 bladed prop, I noticed a semi-circircular chunk about 3" long x 3" deep missing from the edge of the blade!!! Kinda like the way a kid takes there first bite in the edge of a sandwhich!! That made me nervious!!! I told the stewerdious and pointed out the problem, and her reply was that I was not the first to show her that and it had been there for a "long" time!!! I asked to change my seat to the back of the plane, and was granted my wish! That plane vibrated like a cement mixer, and I was relieved when I finally got to D.C. I doubt the Chinese have cornered the market on corner cutting !!

Steve

Evan
09-13-2006, 09:26 AM
I had to fly to Vancouver one time in the middle of winter to attend a meeting. At that time service was via Dash 7s. I always like to sit at the front so I can chat with the pilots. The weather was terrible with a snow storm moving through. We waited for the squall to clear as visibility was nil. It took over an hour sitting there while we chatted and finally they decided to switch us to another aircraft which had long range tanks and could make the flight to Vancouver direct instead of stopping in Kamloops which was fogged in. I said goodbye to the pilots and deplaned to board the other aircraft.

We took off and had a terrible flight. Again I was sitting up front almost in line with the props. During the flight we encountered heavy icing and the ice was slinging off the prop blades and slamming into the fuselage only inches away from where I was sitting. Being a former aircraft repair tech I knew it wasn't likely to cause really serious damage but it wasn't the most pleasant flight I have had. When we arrived I had a good look at the aircraft and it was clear that it wouldn't be flying again until some extensive body work was done.

I never did see the other two pilots again that I spent an hour chatting with that morning. They flew to Terrace, BC and didn't quite make it. Everyone on that plane died in a crash where the cause was never determined.

A.K. Boomer
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
If you ever want the crap scared out of you just fly mexicana,,, those planes remind my of the old "blue bird" school busses,,,,,,, tires were flat spotted, all kinds of rattles and creeks and groans, the engines sounded like they where going to shell out a brearing at any minute, and they stink like puke...

Rustybolt
09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
If you ever want the crap scared out of you just fly mexicana,,, those planes remind my of the old "blue bird" school busses,,,,,,, tires were flat spotted, all kinds of rattles and creeks and groans, the engines sounded like they where going to shell out a brearing at any minute, and they stink like puke...

Boeing 727s! Every pilot is a jet fighter pilot. I'll never forget leaving Mexico City and the pilot starts his acceleration on the taxiway and we entered the runway on two wheels with the tires squealing. At that altitude he needed all the help he could get just to clear the tenements at the end of the runway.Very pretty nad nice stewardesses.

speedsport
09-13-2006, 09:36 PM
The pictures freaked me out, but then I showed them to a buddy who worked as a mechanic, crew chief and inspector for American Airlines maintainance hub in Tulsa for 35 years, he kinda smiled and said he didn't see anything wrong with it, using seatbelts maybe a little "shadetree" but nothing to worry about. Something to think about.

Evan
09-13-2006, 09:53 PM
That's fine if you are flying back to a maintenance hub but it certainly isn't fine when you are carring a load of passengers. The Germans didn't allow them to leave until they changed three engines. I guess they didn't want a big hole somewhere near the airport.

BillH
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Well evan, you'll never forget that story.
The scariest thing that ever happened to me while flying...
I was on a 727 and shortly after takeoff the roof panel right over my head, just my roof panel, no one elses, started to shake and rattle violently. After we landed, the airplane was delayed for mechanical work.
The other incident had nothing to do with mechanical problems but rather my lack of vision. One winter night trying to land at Laguadia, I was in the back of a md83. We were fogged in, rain clouds around. We made 2 previous landing attempts but didnt have the visibility needed. The pilots were flying this airplane stick and rudder and you felt everything, every time he used the rudder. Patches thru clouds I could see buildings under neath for fractions of a second. I was nervous from lack of vision, I wanted to be in the front right seat of the airplane. Hell, make it the front left seat.

Evan
09-14-2006, 01:59 AM
No, I won't forget that day. Nobody alive knows why that plane went down. I would have been on it if it weren't for the pure chance of that snow squall moving through. That is one of those times where it just wasn't my time. It shook me up pretty bad.

darryl
09-14-2006, 02:17 AM
My dad used to fly cessnas and the like. One time his plane was icing up and it got too heavy to fly. As he lost altitude, he finally broke out of the clouds just in time to realize he better land cause the ground was right there. So it was a farmers field. The farmer lent him his car to get home, and the next day I went with him to retrieve the aircraft. After a tricky takeoff, avoiding wires, I got to fly the plane. We touched down at Chilliwack airport and couldn't stop cause the brakes had failed. No biggie, there's lots of room to roll, so once back at the airport it got checked out. Someone had put the wrong brake fluid in it and the hoses were eaten up. Mom had a few things to say about him flying after that, and he soon stopped. You know, kids that needed him, etc.

I once flew in a ryan navion with a guy who was more guts than brains. He had us headed straight down towards the burner at Bowman's mill- you could see the fire inside. Pulled out of the dive, and he looked back at me with a grin and asked if I wanted to fly. So I flew it for a bit, but no acrobatics. That was interesting. I was about 10 or 11 at the time.

My first airshow was at Chilliwack airport. They had a T-33 ( think that was it) Very exciting to watch it pull a 90 right off the runway and go almost out of sight vertically, then dive and level out just above the runway. I've been very interested in aircraft ever since.

By the way, I have a soft spot for the Avro Arrow, but my favorite plane is the SR-71. I have actually sat in one, or what was left of one. Maybe it was the A-12, I don't recall now. My first impression was about how little room the pilot had.

2bd1
09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
I have flown on a Chinese airline (domestic carrier and route), and heck yes I was scared! All those simple rules about seat belts fastened, stay in your seats, nothing in the isles, etc. all appeared to be "optional" so I can only imagine how the airline might have felt about something a little more inconvienent/expensive like routine maintance :eek:

menace
09-15-2006, 06:33 AM
I haven't flown since the 70s, cause all the crappy flights I've had made me a believer in their lack of care for the safety of the passenger over the sanctity of the dollar!
I was flying Denver to Memphis, were on the runway throttling up picking up speed the all of a sudden, shutdown and a turn to a exit ramp! The pilot says on the intercom everthings OK, but due to very bad weather and probable circle time over Memphis were taking on more fuel due to increased flying time! Were all happy with that scenario!! The fuel "trailer" pulls just belew my window behind the wing and hooks up his ground and hose and lets it fly! I can see the meter move but not read the numbers for the distance. It goes for almost 45 minutes!!!! I guess we took the whole truck!! When we finally took off , there wasn't a cloud in the sky or any turbulance. Memphis was clear and my sister said the weather had been perfect all month!!
We were on the runway taking off, and someone finely looked at the gas gauge and said oh sh##!!!
I got a few others like this, that I swear on my families graves are true! Something doesn't want me on a plane , and I finally realized it in March 1979! I bet some of that junk I rode on then is still in the air today!!

Steve

Evan
09-15-2006, 08:43 AM
The reason somebody said "Oh Sh!t" is because carrying too much fuel around costs money.