PDA

View Full Version : What I've been working on all week

Mark Hockett
09-15-2006, 04:40 AM
I've been working some long hours all week making aluminum domino's for a company in Puerto Rico. There are 28 domino's in a double six set and 56 in a double nine set. They ordered 26 double six and 10 double nine sets so it all added up to a bunch of small rectangles with dots and lines. The dots are made with a 90 degree spot drill so it gives a prism affect and the lines were made with ball nose end mill. I also did all the anodizing.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/domino1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/domino3.jpg

Tomorrow should be an easy day I just need to ship them and clean the shop.

If anyone is looking for an idea for Christmas gifts they can make in their shop the domino's might be good one.

speedy
09-15-2006, 05:08 AM
They`re spot on, Mark. Very attractive gift idea. Surely they were not all individually hand made?:)

IOWOLF
09-15-2006, 05:45 AM
I assume they were done on a cnc Vmc.

SGW
09-15-2006, 07:39 AM
How did you make the actual blocks with those nicely rounded corners and edges?

john hobdeclipe
09-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Very classy looking. Tell us more.

Evan
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Very nice Mark. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

How do you anodize them and avoid obvious contact blemishes?

What dyes do you use?

What sort of basket do you use?

Sealant?

PTSideshow
09-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Nice sets, looks like they will wear well. Do you know if they will be used in some sort layout or just as fancy give aways for the company. great work as always.:D

Mark Hockett
09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
The domino blanks are exactly 1" x 2" x .390". I start with strips of 1/2" x
1-1/4" x 24" stock. The piece is clamped in a 24" soft jaw mounted on 2 vises. I use a Fadal VMC to face the stock with a 3" face mill, profile the sides of the blanks with a 3/8" EM and cut the .032" radius on the edges with a radius tool. This process leaves a thin web holding all the blanks together. I then turn it upside down and repeat the process to finish the blanks. The blanks go into a vibratory tumbler and after that are ready to anodize.

To anodize them I start by placing the blanks in a special rack made out of titanium. The rack has fingers with a V notch at the end. Because of the design of the V the contact point is very small, it leaves a small spec that you almost need a magnifying glass to see. Most noticeable marks can be touched up with a felt pen. The process is then to place in a degreaser, then a caustic etch (lye), then deox/desmut (which is acid based), then anodize (sulfuric acid), then color using US Specialty dyes and the last step is to seal the blanks. I use a 180°F nickel acetate sealer from US Specialty. For power during anodizing I use a 40amp power supply. I anodize at 16v but 12v works just fine too. A full set of domino's with rack will draw about 7 amps. The blanks stay in the same rack through the entire anodizing process so I don't use any baskets.

After the blanks are anodized they go back to the machine. There are pockets cut in the same soft jaws used for making the blanks. The anodized blanks go in the pockets and a strip of clear packaging tape goes over them to protect the finish. Then I hit the start button and dots and lines are cut. The way the programs are set up I use one fixture offset for the whole operation so whatever part I do I don't have to change the offset.

I also make the domino's in stainless steel every so often. The finish is polished on the edges and grained on the surface. The stainless ones often get engraved. I have even made aluminum domino's with a nickel-plated finish. I have a small electroless nickel-plating set-up.

They could be made on manual machines it would just take a little longer. I would probably start by truing up the edges and faces on strips of stock. Then saw cut into oversized blanks and mill the ends in a vise with a stop to locate length. That would leave you with a rectangle blank with all six sides cleaned up. Using the same vise stop I would then turn on edge and use a .125" radius tool to cut the corners. I put a .032" radius on the edges but just using a buffing wheel to break the edges and polish the blanks would be fine, I do this when I make the stainless steel domino's. The anodizing is very simple and a set-up like I have is not needed to do good quality work. I have done small parts in a Tupperware container. The anodizing article in the Aug/Sept MW gives a good example of the streamlined process. It also gives the best web site for home shop anodizing instructions and a source for chemicals needed. http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html

If anyone does decide to make a set and you don't want to anodize them yourself I would be willing to anodize a set of them for you N/C, as long as I don't get slammed with a bunch of sets. I would just need enough the pay the return shipping.

PT,
The company sells high end domino tables. http://www.dominotables.net/
They wanted a custom domino to sell with the tables. They also make wood boxes for the dominos. I guess dominos are very popular in Puerto Rico, kind of like poker in the US.

cuemaker
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
$349 for the professional sized double 9 sets.

$229 for the professional sized double 6 sets.

Interesting.

CCWKen
09-15-2006, 03:31 PM
That is some fabulous looking bones there Mark. Now I understand the high end value. Lots of work goes into those even with CNC. Nice job! Us po-folk in the South have to use custom Puremco Inc. bones. :D

What would Saturday night be without 42? ;)

ProGunOne
09-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Very Impressive!

wierdscience
09-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice work,one question,after you cut the dots and lines do they go back in the anodizing bath to clear the newly nekked aluminum in the dots/lines,or did I miss that part?

Looks like you get some of the oddball work we do.Once made a SS pig for a BBQ resturant sign:D

speedy
09-15-2006, 09:35 PM
See, another example of the fine work, generosity and goodwill that exists here. Thank you so much Mark.

abn
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Very nice work...I'd give you more complements but I don't think I could beat the customer's site, so I'll just repeat some of the compliments they pay your work:

"When you are ready to move up to premium luxury dominoes....."

"a sensuous feel that will impress you at first touch with their size and power."

"command respect just to hold them. These are very hefty, professional sized dominoes not for the timid."

Evan
09-15-2006, 09:40 PM
These are very hefty, professional sized dominoes not for the timid.
I didn't realize that dominoes is such a tough sport. Is it also advisable to wear body armor?

wierdscience
09-15-2006, 09:54 PM
I didn't realize that dominoes is such a tough sport. Is it also advisable to wear body armor?

Ya,just what do you do when you tear a hamstring playing dominoes?:D

Evan
09-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Looks like you get some of the oddball work we do.Once made a SS pig for a BBQ resturant sign
Well, I never made a pig. When I worked for Sidney Aircraft repair in Victoria it was a small three man shop. Summer is the slow time in the aircraft repair business and we would take in whatever metal work we could find. I built a complete Can-Am racing car monocoque chassis from aircraft aluminum to replace the mangled one built of 6061 that a guy brought in. Had to take the old one and flatten it all out after drilling the pieces apart to use it for patterns. I made a few mods to it such as double wall tanks for the fuel bladders and I used almost completely solid rivets instead of pop rivets. It was about 100 lbs lighter and much stiffer. He said it handled way better than the old car.

Another project was for a resturant. The wanted a big fireplace hood built from sheet iron about 7 feet tall. It was a semi pyramid shape except the front and the back were different shapes. It was a bugger figuring the layout of the pieces. It was all panhead iron rivets too. The worst part was after all the careful work putting it together I then went all over it with a ball pien hammer to "antique" it and then used cold bluing which I then partly burnished off to give it an old look. I never built anything before or since where the last operation was to beat the living crap out of it.

wierdscience
09-15-2006, 10:32 PM
I never built anything before or since where the last operation was to beat the living crap out of it.

Me too,when I was woodworking to make extra dough,a woman asked me to make a Red Oak Shaker style desk with two pullout drawers for her daughter.I built it out of hill oak,very fine grain,quarter sawn and expensive.Two rubbed in layers of grain filler,three coats of cat laquer.She loved it,first thing she did was beat it with a chain and paint it blue to"antique" it.:mad:

hughman
09-15-2006, 11:06 PM
,first thing she did was beat it with a chain and paint it blue to"antique" it.:mad:

I was once on a boatshop crew tasked with creating the interior of a 64' yacht. A forest somewhere in Missouri was cut down to provide just the right straight grain white oak; custom laminates made from it to the tune of serious jingle. 16 months of fitting and fussing, and the lady insisted on white paint "pickling" for a finish. Looked like a cheap trailer. :rolleyes:

darryl
09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Nice work, Mark. You do realize you're creating a cadre of Puerto Rican parts fondlers- :)

JRouche
09-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Real nice....I appreciate the discussion on anodizing....I would like to try my hand at that metal finishing...JRouche

edgardmoore
11-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Hey Mark, I like the work you've done. Im thinking about making my own set. I did read your detailed instructions;
But first i wanted to ask how much would you charge me for a set of double 9's. The reason why im asking is i can easily purchase the materials; but if i have to purchase a lot of tools then it might come out cheaper just to let you make them for me.
Im in Miami, so let me know; I appreciate it.
I await your email reponse at edgardmoore@hotmail.com

MichaelP
11-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Excellent craftsmanship Mark!

If you ever decide to mill a deck of playing cards, I'll be your customer. :)

MrSleepy
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Mark has not had any activity on here for 12 weeks....and hasn't posted here for 15 months.

You may be able to hunt him down via his company

Mark Hockett
Island Tech Enterprises
Clinton,
WA 360-914-6026

or his youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/islandtechent/about

Rob

dp
11-06-2013, 04:49 PM
You may be able to hunt him down via his company

Mark Hockett
Island Tech Enterprises
Clinton,
WA 360-914-6026

He helped me with a simple project that was outside the range of my machines - he's got some nice equipment.

http://metalworkingathome.com/?p=14

billetbones
12-02-2015, 02:38 PM
I know the people that you sold these too. They actually stole the idea from me. They no longer do them because they aren't as cheap and easy to do as they thought. I started making dominoes in 2001.

flylo
12-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Do you realize this is a 9 year old thread?

cuemaker
12-02-2015, 03:23 PM
His 1st post.. he was probably doing some searching, ran across it and replied.

mattthemuppet
12-02-2015, 03:50 PM
and he is clearly still pi$$ed off about the whole deal too. It's hard to see how someone can steal the idea for making dominoes, they're not exactly novel or complicated.

flylo
12-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Can we change the thread name to "What I've been working on for 120 weeks" LOL
I'd change the name to Daminos & I'm glad to see they're Billet.

SteveF
12-02-2015, 05:28 PM
and he is clearly still pi$$ed off about the whole deal too. It's hard to see how someone can steal the idea for making dominoes, they're not exactly novel or complicated.

Doesn't seem to matter to the Patent Office. One of the things Apple sued Samsung over was their patented "rounded corners" on the IPhone.

Steve

John Stevenson
12-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I know the people that you sold these too. They actually stole the idea from me. They no longer do them because they aren't as cheap and easy to do as they thought. I started making dominoes in 2001.

And you stole them from the Chinese.
If anyone sees Mr Billetbones dummy could they please throw it back in his pram.

mattthemuppet
12-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Doesn't seem to matter to the Patent Office. One of the things Apple sued Samsung over was their patented "rounded corners" on the IPhone.

Steve

I think that's more an argument about the validity of the patent system than it is about billetbone's bone of contention. I'd hope that there was enough prior art, perhaps even several 1000 years worth, to invalidate any "patent" on those dominoes.

vpt
12-02-2015, 06:05 PM
There is always flashlights.

Mark Hockett
12-07-2015, 01:29 AM
This is hilarious! The company i made these dominoes for said the billet bones dominoes sucked because they were under sized, not regulation size. mine were full size and had a way nicer Pip (dot) with the use of a spot drill and not a ball end mill like Billet Bones. I also bet our production costs were cheaper as we did all anodizing in house using a custom holding system that left no marks on the domino. We also did some solid stainless steel sets and some Nickel plated aluminum sets. I'm not doing them any more because I sold my business and the new owner is not doing anodizing so its not profitable for him.

John Stevenson
12-07-2015, 07:14 AM
More to the point Mark, did you find Mr Billitbones dummy ?