PDA

View Full Version : milldrill leadscrew ball bearing play

Elninio
09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
it seems that on my milldrill the play in the bearing is set and held by the dial, so there is almost no way to adjust it, right now i have about 0.005 to 0.01" of play in the dial and i have tighetened all out of the play out of the nut to make sure it is not contributing any play, so I was thinking at drill and taping a hole in the screw so that i could put a screw and a bushing that tightens everything togheter, is there a better/safer way?

Scishopguy
09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
It is possible that the play is in the lead screw nut. That is not an unreasonable amount of lash. Most BP mills (that don't have a ball lead screw system) have about .020" slack. This is pretty normal. Most lead screw nuts can be adjusted. There is a cut through the nut and there is a cap screw you tighten to draw tension on the lead screw. Just don't get it too tight.

good luck,

SGW
09-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Backlash is a fact of life. Don't expect to get rid of all of it. You don't need to, anyway. Just be sure to take up the backlash in the same direction every time. Depending on the direction you need to move, this may sometimes involve going past a location then coming back to it from the other direction. This is standard operating procedure on a manual mill without a digital readout (which doesn't have backlash).