PDA

View Full Version : Latest error?

Greg Menke
09-16-2006, 02:12 PM
The latest project is a telescope mounting ring for my dad. Its an aluminum piece we cast and I turned because his lathe is too small, and the last step was to put 6 radial holes through the ring on 60 degree intervals. I had everything all set up on the mill and nice.

Got the first hole in OK, ha ha. Then I forgot how to run the dividing head. Twice. I finally got my noggin working and put in the right holes, and now I have 5 extra radial holes in the ring. I count myself lucky that I didn't try to drill thru one of the chuck jaws...

He's going to Make Comments when I give him the ring, I just know it.

Greg

Mike Burdick
09-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Greg,

Don’t feel too bad – we all do things like that! The good thing is that you kept the part and went on with the project. Sometimes I find myself being too much of a “perfectionist” and start things over just because of a minor flaw. In the long run, this trait is not that good.;)

If the extra holes bother you, is it possible to machine some aluminum plugs and fill them?

Evan
09-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Make the holes bigger and make some more. They are lightening holes, right?

or

Tap them. They are accessory mounts.

rockrat
09-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Make the holes bigger and make some more. They are lightening holes, right?

Oh, man. I dont look at the stars when there's lightening. Might get zapped in a storm like that. Besides, I dont like to get my telescope mirror wet either. :D :D

Couldnt resist -
rock-

Evan
09-16-2006, 02:57 PM
lightening<>lightning

Greg Menke
09-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Lightening holes.. :) thats funny! I'll mention that for sure.

Its not a mistake, its a feature.

No need to fill the holes, the "extra" ones won't be visible once the ring is installed.

Greg

Evan
09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Just remember that whatever he says it will make his day. He will secretly be pleased that he could have done a better job and that his superiority has not yet been successfully challenged. :D