PDA

View Full Version : OT What are we good at?

nheng
09-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Ok, we see enough posts pointing out the impact of globalization on the US and the state of our manufacturing community, or what's left of it. How about some good stuff on the US.

What are we really good at or make really well. I'll start the list with Lista cabinets, which I am currently drooling over on ebay but can ill afford in the quantity I'd need for the shop :( Den

Rustybolt
09-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Innovation. The US is very good at innovation. The reason comanies leave is because the US government is very good at taxing innovation. There is an old cliche'. " money goes where it is best treated." Right now it's being treated better overseas.

wierdscience
09-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Yup we are the world's greatest at piling on stupid tax after tax and law after law.I long for the day that we ditch the current tax structure entirely.No income,property or death tax,just sales and tarriff tax.

Tin Falcon
09-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Den:
I like your thinking it is easy to look at the negative. Lets try to look at the good. I think some of it is over taxation and over regulation also some is good old fachioned greed . Why take a million dollar a year proffit in the US if you can make Ten Million overseas. Anyway her are a couple of Made in USA companies.
http://www.maglite.com/index_flash.asp
and
http://www.lodgemfg.com/ these guys have been making cast Iron cookware for a long time they made dutch ovens for Louis and Clark
Regards
Tin

Millman
09-16-2006, 09:37 PM
I may just try to stay out of this one

Frank Ford
09-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Hmm, Lista is a Swiss company. My Toyota was made in Kentucky. Like it or not, we're a global community, and that's not going to change.

nheng
09-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Frank, They've been here since 60-something but I'm still embarrassed :eek:
Den

Evan
09-16-2006, 10:46 PM
IIRC, income tax was strictly a temporary measure imposed to help pay for WWI.

Mark Hockett
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Den,
In my part of the country the major industries are aviation (Boeing), medical and marine. Many shops in the area are working for Boeing or they are a sub contractor for a shop that is working for Boeing. The medical industry is also an area that the US excels in.

My largest contract is with a refrigeration company that builds systems for the Alaskan fishing boats. The units that I build parts for look like small trian boilers. They range from 8" to 16" in diameter. I machine tube sheets that are made with a metal called Bronwite (bronze, zinc, aluminum and some other stuff). The bronwite castings are made at a local foundry.

My Toyota truck was also made in the US, Fremont California, which is a UAW plant.

wierdscience
09-16-2006, 11:06 PM

It's been an on again off again thing for awhile-

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html

Weston Bye
09-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Rustybolt already said it-innovation. Where I work we have had to innovate to stay in business. We develop the product design, figure out how to manufacture it, and deliver the parts. Eventually, the customer demands price reductions or loose the business. The part has become a worldwide commodity. We either heavily automate to save labor costs, or send the work overseas. In the meantime, we are busy bringing in new product designs in order to keep our workforce employed.

Part of the value we add to the part, wherever it is made, is quality assurance and local representation and response. Not an easy job, and less and less fun as years go by.

speedsport
09-16-2006, 11:36 PM
WE are really good at electing idiots for president.

yf
09-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi tech and very expensive weapons.

Also endless torts and legislation.

larry_g
09-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Two thriving industries in this country are the insurance industry and the legal industry. I believe that they are hooked at the hip.
lg
no neat sig line

lazlo
09-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Yup we are the world's greatest at piling on stupid tax after tax and law after law.

You know our British colleagues pay a lot more taxes than we do, right?

I long for the day that we ditch the current tax structure entirely.No income,property or death tax,just sales and tarriff tax.

You would have to give up a lot of basic "Commonwealth" services for that, like schools, firefighters, police, road maintenance...
Personally, I think the current 25 - 33% tax rate is fine. I just don't like the way our government wastes it.

For just one example, the $62 Billion dollars in Katrina relief has apparently vanished into a black hole. That's roughly $620 per household right there...

wierdscience
09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
You know our British colleagues pay a lot more taxes than we do, right?

You would have to give up a lot of basic "Commonwealth" services for that, like schools, firefighters, police, road maintenance...
Personally, I think the current 25 - 33% tax rate is fine. I just don't like the way our government wastes it.

For just one example, the $62 Billion dollars in Katrina relief has apparently vanished into a black hole. That's roughly $620 per household right there...

What the British do is they're fault.Actually they don't pay much more than we,when you factor in withholdings,sales taxes,property tax,road use tax,vehicle tax,income tax,inheritance tax etc.Better check your math on that one.

You wouldn't have to give up anything except the needless paperwork and hassle.You would also eliminate the bulk of the cheats and the bulk of the beurocrats.You also wouldn't have to keep paper going back 7 years just incase the gestapo has questions later.
The commonwealth services you mention are already paid for in part by sales taxes collected at Walmart and the rest of the bigbox stores.The percentage supplied by the federal goverment(actually you the taxpayer) is small.It would be larger if you paid your taxes at the cash register,instead of sending it to Washington and having it go through many hands before it gets returned.Horribly ineffecient.
You would only need two tax rates,one for new mass produced consumer goods,and a lower rate for used merchandise.The city,state and feds can devide it up just like they do now,but with two major differences.
1 no more tax cheats,people with offshore dummy corporations and tax shelters would suddenly be on the same level as you and I.
2 elimination of all the needless paperwork and people who do it.Yes we would have a glut of unemployed accountants and beurocrats,but I could live with that.Multiple layers of government means multiple layers of ineffeciency,what we have now and always have had.

As for the Katrina money,don't believe that BS you hear from the media.$620/household is cheap considering all the damage that has been cleaned up and rebuilt so far,I know,I'm right in the middle of it.

rotate
09-17-2006, 11:18 PM
What are we really good at or make really well.

The finest thermonuclear weapon, and the most accurate delivery mechanism on earth. Absolutely nobody comes close!

speedy
09-17-2006, 11:33 PM

Then God help us all when the bastards start billing us for WW2, Korea, Vietnam,Iraq etc etc