PDA

View Full Version : workbench dilema

Alistair Hosie
09-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I have been putting off making a nice woodworking bench I prefer (in my heart) the traditional older type like the older one in the stourbridge village with drawers jack and built in vices.Heres the problem I bought several years ago an ex hospital bed and I have cut it down with expectation of putting a nice top on it the advantage being this will have quick easy wheel movement and full ability rise and fall with the aid of an inbuilt foot operated mechanism so does my head rule (practicality) and go for the more practical but still nice bench with the hospital bed frame and a really well made top with vices and everything fitted I might need which will show or scrap the idea of using this ,and make a completely new and nicer to look at workbench with all the bells and whistles .I know like myself many of you are accomplished woodworkers but I need like always good sturdy advice regards Alistair p.s even though I kinda know which one I will go for but I could easily be put back onto a more practical track and not regret it c'mon pals :D:D:D

John Stevenson
09-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Flog the bed to Matron when Norman gets back.

Fasttrack
09-17-2006, 01:44 PM
If it was me i would "make a completely new and nicer to look at workbench with all the bells and whistles " :D

JCHannum
09-17-2006, 01:47 PM
An adjustable height table sounds like a good idea. Trying to chase a workbench on wheels around the shop while doing heavy work does not.

Fasttrack
09-17-2006, 01:58 PM
"Trying to chase a workbench on wheels around the shop while doing heavy work does not."

lmao - i hate working on benches with wheels for that reason. Even with the locks on the wheels i always end up chasing it around. Especially when doing something heavy, like trying to pack a transmission on the bench and then the bench scoots away from you as you try to hump it up there. grrr

Evan
09-17-2006, 02:48 PM
I'll take your word for it. I've never humped a transmission.

Fasttrack
09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
lol I guess its just one of those funny little idioms - in missouri everyone uses "hump" as in this definition:

"8. Informal. to exert (oneself) in a great effort. "

with no sexual connotation... :D

Alistair Hosie
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
I agree but this is no cheap unit this is a few grands worth of English:D Engineering made in china:D and sold for less than cost to us.it will not roll anywhere it is not welcome How do they do it.It reminds me of the time my mother fought of the germans with a set of dentures suck precariously on the end of a roll of linoleum :DAlistair

TECHSHOP
09-17-2006, 07:03 PM
A woodworking bench has to withstand some pounding and racking if used with hand tools, much less if used only with "tailed apprentices".

The unspoken "rule" is you "need" a bench to make a bench;
The well known corollary to owning two benches is not having the room to use two benches.

I would use the hospital bed as an adjustable assembly, infeed and outfeed, and general shop table (welding, painting ...).

I would make the "nice" bench, because you won't be statified until you do, right?

lane
09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Build the hospital bed bench first. Then a Quality woodworkers bench .Then you will have two one for metal working and one for woodworking two are better than one.

CCWKen
09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
You should get Darin to make you one. The thing is, if he makes it like the one I saw, I'd have it in my dinning room! Too nice to work on. ;)