PDA

View Full Version : Shaper planer set up tools.

Bob Quale
03-02-2003, 08:18 AM
I see in the Enco and MSC sale catalog a Shaper and planer set up tool. It looks like a big ajustable paralell. Any one now how to use it or what it sets up?

[This message has been edited by Bob Quale (edited 03-02-2003).]

Oso
03-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Sure. You set a height reference with it, measuring with caliper/mic/height gage. Then you set the tool on the shaper or planer to be that height above the table or some refernce portion of your part.

It functions as a "transfer standard" when you want to have a certain dimension and can make the cut in one pass so no resets.

Or if you DO have to reset, and need to do it accurately every time.

I have one, but rarely use it. For onesey-twosey parts it is more convenient to cut and measure and use the downfeed dial. Once in a while it comes in pretty handy.

I would never have bought one, mine came *free* in a box of goodies, which I paid for happily just for one thing I saw in it. The gage was a bonus.

Dave Opincarne
03-03-2003, 10:55 PM
I have one, bought it cheap at a swap meet, but would be willing to pay full price for it. I obviusly use it. When coupled with a micrometer it's an extremly useful gauge which practicly replaces the smaller range of grade B gauge blocks (FOR THE HOBBIEST).

Oso
03-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I can see that, anything above about 0.5 inch isn't too difficult to set with a mic. Much below that you kinda want a height gage because the low platform is off the end of the gage.

Poor man's gage blocks? I like it. I did pick up a set of decent B & S gage blocks for cheap, but the adjustable parallels have gotten used just as you describe, more than the blocks have. I try to just use them for instrument calibration.

Forrest Addy
03-04-2003, 12:44 AM
It has a number of uses. The usual one is to set tool height from the table. You set the height (which ever orientation you require) with a mike, plop it on the planer table, and nudge the tool down to just make a feeler snug.

That's the theory we so fondly advance. Usually on a largish planer, the four hundred pound slide slips at the very last little smidgen and tries to mash the plaaner gage into the table.

If the planer gage is set on end, the thumb screw slips and no harm is done. If it's set on the side and the slide clapper box is heavy enough like on a 30 ft x 16 ft Niles planer (couple of tons) the planer gage may not survive.

Planer gages are handy for taking readings in slots too wide for adjustable parallels, temporary precision/adjustable support on the layout table or inspection slab, determing step heights using a transfer gage, lots of stuff.

A planer gage is a "violin tool". It's the virtuosity of the user not a list of approved/disapproved uses promulgated by a purist that results in a time and cost saving operation through a novel use. I once tack welded a junker planer gage to a parallel for checking case symmetry in pump halves.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 03-04-2003).]