PDA

View Full Version : Work shop accident!

thistle
09-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Well i almost sawed the cat in two.
I was cutting up an old fuel tankto make a shaper chip catcher(- it had never been used , never had fuel in iteither, before any one gets upset,)

I went away to dodge a shower and about 4 hours of digression s later came back and started setting up to cut it with a skil saw,and there was a terible meowing.

I couldnt place the sound looked everywhere for a cat , picked up the saw, put it down , kicked the fuel can , nothing moved , picked up the saw more mmmmmeeeeeoooooowwwwwwwwwwsss,
turned the fuel tanks over and out came a frantic shop cat covered in **** and piss, I got clawed pretty badly , not out of malice but in the desparate
attempt to get enough traction to get away.

the cat got in the inspection hatch and tipped the tank over.

I have been a bit worried about the scratches and have been cleaning everything , and gone on anti biotics in case.

Hows that for an unusual accident?

Millman
09-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Nope, never had THAT happen, antibiotics may help, go to the Dr. just to get checked out. Remember Ted Nugent's .."Cat Scratch Fever"? I use bear traps for neighborhood kids and animals, hate cleaning them out though!

Hexhead
09-21-2006, 04:46 PM
One lucky cat, better than having caught the hair on fire with the sparks and have a fire ball on your hands to go with the scratches.
8 more to go good lucky cat. Watch those scratch they can get out of hand fast.

Peter N
09-21-2006, 04:56 PM
... Remember Ted Nugent's .."Cat Scratch Fever"? !

Yes I do, though that's going back 30 years now. My favourite track was "Just what the Doctor Ordered", proper guitar rock.
I was playing that old album last year and my 18yr old nephew liked it so much he borrowed it to copy. Hope for the younger generation yet.

Makes a change as I'm more often listening to BBC Radio 4 in the workshop, and that is errr.., a lot more staid :D

Peter

Evan
09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
You shouldn't take antibiotics "just in case". That's a good way to build a population of resident resistant organisms. Your body harbors many organisms all the time that are capable of causing disease but don't when your immune system is strong. All it takes is a weakened immune system (general anesthetic?) and a resident population of resistant staph aureus for instance and you can be in deep trouble.

The cat scratch disease bacterium isn't susceptible to most antibiotics anyway so unless you are taking something like Biaxin (which I just finished 2 weeks worth) it won't do any good.

Tin Falcon
09-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Sounds like one teriffied shop companion. My wifes cat turned on her several years ago when he got caught in the venitian blind cord. Trip to the ER after multiple bites. Definitly watch those scratches. My suggestion is Tea Tree Oil Or melaluca oil. Different names for the same stuff it is a natural antibiotic. Anti fungal and penitrating oil. Had a cat bite a few weeks back on my thumb. Yea dummy put it to close to a cats face.Anyway kept using the tea tree oil ointment for days. No infection and no doctors visit. Although the hair on my knuckles seems thicker and softer.LOL
Anyway hope you and the cat both recover.
Reminds me of a story about a friend. He has passed away now.He had cats by the dozen. One sunday morning his wife started the car to go to church and heard a strange noise under the hood. So she goes inside to have my buddy check it out. One of the cats was in the engine compartment with its tail stuck between the fan belt and a pully. So he grabs the long handled pruning shears. He figured he had a choice of cutting the tail or the belt. The car would not run without a belt.......
Tin

Tin Falcon
09-21-2006, 05:34 PM
One lucky cat, better than having caught the hair on fire with the sparks and have a fire ball on your hands to go with the scratches.

That gives a whole new meaning to putting the cat out!!!
Tin

dp
09-21-2006, 08:02 PM
I used to own an Ercoupe airplane (http://www.ercoupe.com/). They have a zippered canvas baggage pouch/compartment behind the seat. There was a story going around the club of a flyer who had a very large cat that used to ride in this baggage compartment but one day the zipper loosened up and the cat crawled into the tail cone and naturally walked all the way to the rear. Weight and balance requirements being what they are, the plane went completely out of control and augered in.

Always wondered if that was true...

wierdscience
09-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Local company has several medium sand kilns,rotary jobs with a propane flame shooting down the center for the first ten feet.The humid air that comes out the top in is draw off by a centrugal fan and is laden with dust,the occasional twig and some silica flour.Since the mixture is abrasive the fan's impellar is fabricated from 3/8" steel plate for long life in a nasty enviroment.

That impellar rides on a 1-3/4" shaft and is driven at 1100 rpm.The fan ducting and scroll stay warm all night long and the owners didn't figure on the nieghborhood cats using it to sleep in during winter.

One morning they went in and started the plant up,conveyors check,barrel rotation check,burner check,out feed deck and shaker check,blower meowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww clank! Out comes a big orange tom cat traveling at mach 1 :D

Here is the amazing part,cat runs off,blower shaft(1-3/4")is bent about 1/4" in six inches enough to jamb in the scroll and stall a 10hp motor:eek:

Cat shows up alive and well with only a clipped ear to show for his ride:D We installed a screen over the exhaust before putting it back on line.

torker
09-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Reminds me of the time our Manx female cat got caught in the fan in my truck.
Was a horrible experience and I'm not fainthearted.
Poor cat was all twisted up in the fanbelt and stuck BAD between the rad and the pulleys.
Thing was screaming it's head off in pain as I cut the fanbelt and tried to pull her out.
I ended up having to loosen the rad support to tip the rad out of the way. She was mashed into the rad fins so hard I couldn't move her.
I swear to God...her hind end was twisted around about a turn and a half.
Thought her spine was snapped so I was going to shot her.
My daughter took her in the house and put her on a blanket on her bed.
The cat slowly unwound herself and was walking again in about a week.
For years after that I always banged the hood before I got in a vehicle.
Hmm...seems I forgot about that now.
Russ

Evan
09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
There was a story going around the club of a flyer who had a very large cat that used to ride in this baggage compartment but one day the zipper loosened up and the cat crawled into the tail cone and naturally walked all the way to the rear. Weight and balance requirements being what they are, the plane went completely out of control and augered in.

That sounds plausible. It's been a long time since I worked on one so I checked the CG spec to be sure. The Ercoupe has a very narrow allowable CG range of only 26.4 to 30.3" from datum. Put a 20 lb cat 10 feet back and that's the same as having 200 lbs one foot back. Not to mention the fact that the Ercoupe had limited elevator travel. See ya.

alcova
09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Reminds me of the time our Manx female cat got caught in the fan in my truck.

About 25 years ago I fired up my road grader and the Alternator light came on, I leaned out enough and seen the fan wasn'r turning. I shut down and open the fan area and found a cat wadded up between the fan and a guard. Luckily it wasn't a bloody mess, but it was all mushy inside the hide and all I could do was chuck it over the fence.

Walt

Rustybolt
09-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Torker. Same thing happened to me and my dodge ram only not so dramatic.I go to start the thing at work. Its late fall. All I get is a chug, chug, clunk clunk frum under the hood. What the h..........I open the hood and this orange lightning bolt comes shooting out of the engine compartment. No screams. no meows. It's the neighborhood alleycat. Usually the thing skirted the building, but forever after that if my car was pulled up to the building it would go out of its way to walk around behind it.

Locksmith
09-23-2006, 11:42 PM
When I was in Okinawa, I had a small apartment and a black cat named Roscoe. The building wasn't heated. Most people bought a small kerosene heated and that was enough. When the heater was on, you could see the air shimmering above the vents on the flat top of this thing. One day Roscoe is sitting on a low slung Jap table and decides he going to jump on top of the heater.
He jumped, touched down, and to this day, I've never seen anything or anybody move as fast as that cat, up to and including a guy chasing a twenty on a windy day...

ammcoman2
09-24-2006, 08:21 AM
A few years ago I was in the midst of repairing a friend's electric lawnmower in my basement workshop. Figured it needed to be tested after reassembly so I started it up.

Well, there were both feline and human howls coming from our home office directly above. Turns out the cat was sleeping on my wife's lap while she was working at the computer and, when I switched the mower on, the cat took off like you know what and ripped her arm from elbow to wrist. She still has the scars!

Regards,

Geoff

BillH
09-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Hell, I've been scratched to hell by pet cats growing up and have about 3 or 4 scratches on me right now from my uncles cat in the past 2 days. Never got cat scratch fever, in fact, I dont even have any allergies I am aware of. I guess as a kid my immune system got a work out.

pntrbl
09-24-2006, 09:36 AM
I rolled out for work one morning and absent mindedly noticed I'd left the driver's side window down on the van. Hit the street while rolling it up and wow, here comes the neighbor's cat looking for the open window! After using the back of my head for traction it started doing high speed laps around the van and finally settled, shaking and shivering, on a shelf.

Bill