PDA

View Full Version : QC Toolpost Fix

pntrbl
09-23-2006, 10:50 AM
I've got a QC toolpost with a worn out eccentric/cam shaft thing in it. Won't lock no more because the lobe's worn away. It binds a little on it's way around but that's about it. The mfg's tag is completely obliterated, altho it resembles a KDK, so finding the part ain't gonna happen.

Then it occurs to me that, if I wanna be a machinist, I should make one.

This begs the question, out of what?

I've got an old McMaster catalog with various grades of C10xx, drill rod, and also some hardening info. Air water, oil etc. Altogether too much info for a guy without a clue ...

As always, any info ...

Thanx, Bill.

b2u44
09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Bill--

For home shop use, you probably don't need to use overly hard material. If the part is anything like the cam in an Aloris toolpost, you can probably get away with mild steel. Yeah, it'll wear faster than harder material, but it probably won't be used heavily enough for it to matter... If you decide that hardened material isn't necessary, look at 12L14 steel. It's the easist steel to machine that I've ever found.

--Ben

malbenbut
09-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Build up worn part with weld and machine back to size probably the easiest way to go
MBB

DFMiller
09-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Are you shure its not a KDK. I think they are still in business. My buddy just got some stuff from them for his mimic.

dp
09-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Can you machine away some of the worn part of it and replace the material with a servicable button of say, bronze?