View Full Version : What are these boring tools?

09-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I got several of these along with a boring head the other day, I've not seen this type before. Are they just generic blanks, or made for a special purpose?
The spiral form at the end means that clearances are maintained automatically when resharpened, which is neat.
They're marked 'Stanton-Thompson', who seem to be a UK tool agent, & 'Made in Germany' along with some reference numbers.



09-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Travers Tool www.travers.com sells, or at least sold, that style of boring tool. I imagine they still do.

09-24-2006, 12:34 PM
They look like Bokum bars.


Not the greatest boring bars in the world, but they do have a long life because of the easy re-sharpening.

Years ago I got an assortment of new Bokum bars out of the garbage can at an auction. The auction setup man found them in a drawer, not knowing what they were he threw them in the nearest garbage can.

09-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Those work pretty good,I like the "True-form"threading bars made along those same lines.You never have to alter or grind the angles,just the top,great for small hole threading.

09-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey, those look like the same design boring bars that came with my Narex adjustable boring & facing head.
Yes, they are easy to re-sharpen and I use them in the small Atlas lathe sometimes too.