PDA

View Full Version : Parker Cut 40 problems

akruck
09-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I am new to this BBS, but I have a question regarding the Parker MP Plasma cutter that is advertised in THE HOME SHOP MACHINIST. I purchased one of these machines back in April. It has been replaced twice, always for a different reason. The latest machine still does not cut as advertised. It will not cut 1/2 inch steel, let alone the 5/8 rated material that they advertise. Parker also claims it will severe 3/4 inch material. Parker will not refund my purchase, and I keep dumping more money into this bogus product. The hose on the torch lead was wrapped with fishing line to hold it onto the torch; it did not work. Is anyone else experiencing the level of frustration that I am with Parker Metal Working? I have to pay shipping on the warrantee exchanges. Good money after bad, and I have given up. Purchased a Miller 375 that does more than advertised. Lots of pictures post on the Hobart BBs.

wierdscience
09-25-2006, 08:54 AM
First Welcome aboard!

The Parker plasma I have no experience with,but I will say you made a good choice on the Miller 375,we have one at work and love it.

The only thing I can say to the Parker is,is it getting enough air? Or is it one of those that has it's own air supply built in?The ones that pump they're own air I find won't cut anything much thicker than 1/8" with any quality.I think they are intended for HVAC and auto body work and not so much the stuff we do.

akruck
09-25-2006, 11:24 AM
First Welcome aboard!

The Parker plasma I have no experience with,but I will say you made a good choice on the Miller 375,we have one at work and love it.

The only thing I can say to the Parker is,is it getting enough air? Or is it one of those that has it's own air supply built in?The ones that pump they're own air I find won't cut anything much thicker than 1/8" with any quality.I think they are intended for HVAC and auto body work and not so much the stuff we do.

It seems to be getting enough air, judging the flow through the nozzle. Now that you mention it, the hose has blown off of the barbs at both ends, I wonder if there is a restriction in the torch. Parker has been of little help, other than replacing the unit twice. All three have been poor performers. The Miller 375 continues to impress me. Cut 3/4 inch steel Sunday with a beautiful cut. It is only a 27 amp machine.

wierdscience
09-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Is it possible you got some contamination in the unit?Sometimes a tiny little piece of rust or crud will get stuck in the whip end.I started using those disposable paint gun filters on our at work.Eliminates the chance of a problem.

I also know you need at least 55-60lbs of air for the things to work right,with the ends blowing off it sounds like you have it.I wonder if it's the case that you have too much pressure getting to the tip.IIRC plasma cutters have a narrow operating range in terms of design pressure at the nozzle.Too much air and the plasma stream stays cold.

akruck
09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Is it possible you got some contamination in the unit?Sometimes a tiny little piece of rust or crud will get stuck in the whip end.I started using those disposable paint gun filters on our at work.Eliminates the chance of a problem.

I also know you need at least 55-60lbs of air for the things to work right,with the ends blowing off it sounds like you have it.I wonder if it's the case that you have too much pressure getting to the tip.IIRC plasma cutters have a narrow operating range in terms of design pressure at the nozzle.Too much air and the plasma stream stays cold.

Parker recommends 70 psi in their documentation. That does sound high to me. The other plasma cutters I have used require only 60 psi. The hose end that blew off of the torch was only secured with clear fishing line, the other end was not crimped. Real nice quality on these machines, HA!