PDA

View Full Version : VM-A/D Mill-Drills for Myford S7+ ?

NAIT
02-16-2002, 11:54 PM
Myford sells two Mill-Drills for the Super Seven Plus (S7+) lathe: The VM-A with its own motor that is attached to the back of the S7+, and the VM-D, which runs off the S7+ spindle and is clamped to the bed. Are these Drill-Mills effective and useful ? A S7+ with a VM-D looks Drill-Mill depressingly like a Smithy 3-In-1.

[This message has been edited by NAIT (edited 02-16-2002).]

Thrud
02-17-2002, 10:46 PM
If you are stuck and have no other alternative - do what you have to. I have an Emco Maximat 7 - despite it being a superb machine - I would rather have a bigger lathe and a real mill. However, I have not the space. Comprimises are always made in life - this is one you have to hash out for yourself.

I would say buy separate machines if you can.

Dave

Kim Doherty
03-04-2003, 12:27 AM
I have a Myford ML7 with a VM-D mill drill attachment. If the parts you want to machine are reasonably small and you are careful not to eat up your spindle clearance with overly large vises and angle paltes, then this is a well made and competent piece of machinery. It is quite heavy and may pose a bit of problem mounting and dismounting it as it is awkward to hold on to. I have limited space as I live in a condominium but find the VM-D to be quiet and more than capable of producing quality work. Just bear in mind that it is NOT a full sized Bridgeport.

Kim.

Guero
03-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Kim, I've wondered about getting a VM-D for my Myford (I have a Super 7B) and so was glad to see your response. One question I have on this system is whether it in any way causes "twist" on the lathe bed - it seems to be a pretty heavy chunk though I would imagine Myford would have taken that into account when designing it. Also, did you buy yours through Myford or through Blue Ridge Machinery, if you don't mind me asking?

Guero
03-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Kim... never mind. I just checked my Myford book and see that the VM-D is not screwed to the side of the lathe as is the VM-A (which is the model I've been considering).