PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever shear spring steel shims?

CCWKen
10-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I need to make some disks from spring steel shim stock. McMasters has Type C1095 Blue-Tempered Spring Steel stock but I'm wondering if this will fracture if I try to cut it with a circle cutter? I don't know what the thickeness is yet but it will be between .010 and .018".

I've cut .020" 306 SS before with no problems with the cutter but I wonder how "hard" the 1095 will be? Any suggestions?

By the way, I'll need to punch holes in it too. (Wish I had my old Toledo running.) :rolleyes:

wierdscience
10-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Ken I can't say for for sure,but the local can plant used hardend sheet to make tin can's because it sheared easier than soft stuff.Plant man claimed it would almost tear.

Punching I have done,a good Whitney punch that's nice and sharp will do it,but the clearence needs to be fairly tight between the punch and die.

Be sure and sand/grind the sheared and punched edges slick,the rough edges will start cracks in use.

JCHannum
10-13-2006, 10:27 PM
We used to cut blue steel shim stock on a Beverly shaer with no problems. I don't recall the thickness, but it was around that size. Punches about 1/8" holes with a Whitney punch. Larger diameters may be tough, but should be do-able.

madman
10-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Perhaps a shim punch will do the job.

CCWKen
10-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys. I'm making a shopping list for McM-C. When I know the thickness, I'll order and give it a shot.

Madman: A shim punch might work on the smaller holes but I don't have one--Just an old Whittney-Jensen. :D The disks will be 4 1/4" in diameter. I've never seen shim punch that large. :eek:

madman
10-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Just make one.