PDA

View Full Version : Allen versus torx

ptjw7uk
10-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi All,
Just musing on the subject of allen screws versus torx screws having made an allen key round trying to undo a seized screw, it set me to wondering if a torx screw has more bite and resistance to 'rpunding' of keys!!
Anyone any ideas to relative pros and cons

Peter

agrip
10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Yes it does, but I have no numbers to post.

Allen socket/ key system, is much older and easier to Mfr.

The more modern Torx (camcar patent i believe)
carries much more torque capacity at a price.

Hth Ag

jkilroy
10-19-2006, 12:37 PM
In the right size range I find very little to fault with #2 or #3 square drive. When working on a project I try to minimize the number of fastener types and square drive works great for machine and sheet metal screws from #6 to #10, which covers 95% of my needs.

Nutter
10-19-2006, 10:26 PM
My experience says that in real life the Allen works better. I know the numbers disagree, but I have a hard time putting aside what I have personally experienced becuase of what some chart says.

Millman
10-19-2006, 10:29 PM
[[having made an allen key round trying to undo a seized screw[[ Why would a guy destroy a perfectly good Allen wrench?

wierdscience
10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
In a perfectly clean rust free enviroment Torx is great,however the least little rust or dirt and they strip like the're in Vegas.

Allens have my vote,but I only buy Bohndus allen wrenches which usually round out the socket instead of themselves.A set of allen sockets and an impact driver work miracles on the tough ones.

billyboy
10-19-2006, 11:59 PM
ptjw7uk hi, heres a tip; if the allen key goes round-ish then take it to the grinder and just take a small amount off the end, i.e make a new face, the end will have a little bur on it just place it on the wire wheel and debur, but if the screwhead is a bit round-ish leave the bur on and it should make the key fit better, (grind to all 6 flats then you will get 6 little burs) keep dipping the key in cold water between grinds so as not to over heat and soften the tip.

bill

J Tiers
10-20-2006, 12:51 AM
In the right size range I find very little to fault with #2 or #3 square drive. When working on a project I try to minimize the number of fastener types and square drive works great for machine and sheet metal screws from #6 to #10, which covers 95% of my needs.

They sure look good, but everytime I want to get some real torque on one, the driver cams out of the hole.

Usually it is somewhere that I can't get a lot of force on the driver.....