PDA

View Full Version : OT--Interesting news item

lenord
10-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Found this while surfing for a minute & thought y'all mght enjoy it.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061020/D8KS6M800.html

Lenord

IOWOLF
10-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Jet packs, invisability cloaks, whats next invisable jet packs so people see you floating in the air?

miker
10-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Lenord, that is interesting.
By the way, just what were you searching for?? and don't say "Engler degrees", I already used that one! :)

Rgds

Evan
10-20-2006, 05:52 PM
I have been following that since the first story came out some months ago. It's an interesting idea. It remains to be seen if it can be made to work with light. That's an entirely different ball game from doing it with centimeter microwaves. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are a lot of things that can be done with microwaves that aren't feasible with light. Light exhibits far more of a particle nature than centimeter microwaves.

Forrest Addy
10-20-2006, 06:21 PM
That cloak of invisibility and elusiveness has been around since the there were debtors, plumbers, and good spouse material.

thistle
10-20-2006, 08:20 PM
damn fine idea, now for home shop use it would have to be a tarp big enough to fit over that extra lathe/mill/shaper you have to sneak past the missus.

Millman
10-20-2006, 08:25 PM
[[That cloak of invisibility and elusiveness has been around since the there were debtors, plumbers, and good spouse material.]] Forrest, that was funny and true.

Rich Carlstedt
10-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Back in April of 1963, Popular Electronics magazine had a cover showing a ordinary light bulb that extracted light waves from the envirionment by using 'reverse power", sort of reversing DC current. The area under the lamp was black when power was applied. They explained that when this "new" concept was used, electric resistance units like Lamp filiments (etc) actually Increased the flow of amps as opposed to decreasing the flow of "normal' current. the source of this 'extra" power was extracted from light waves, so the lamp was comsuming light, instead of providing it. Very interesting article that created an uproar in the electronics community. it did obey the law of physics, since energy and mass were totaly interchangable as evidence by the negative light. The uproar occured, because many did not pay attention to the date of the magazine. it was April first....
they had to come back and appoligise for creating such a furor

On another note, the military already know that light can cloak items from discovery. They did extensive tests and found that the following is true.
When ships are on the horizon, or tanks in the desert (far away) If they put spotlights outward towards the observer, with the right amount of light, the objects are invisible to the naked eye (not to radar!). they did this when experimenting with camofluge paints and patterns. its one reason why some ships are painted pinkish, the reflection from the sky matches that of the spotlights.

Rich

Tin Falcon
10-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Tranparent aluminum? Gee I think there is a link in the achives on that one. Soon we will be seing universal tranlators advertised and for sale on e-bay. something like this http://www.ectacodeal.com/main.jsp?refid=2550&do=products-view_item&item=5713

A co worker was telling me he saw one advertised in a magazine for emergency personell that woud do 20 languages and had an option for 2O more. Not a whole lot of good if it will not do Klingon or Pharsi.
Have you hugged your personal communicator today?

rgbai
10-21-2006, 10:34 AM
this is what it looks like in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmyf4diYmpc

Cecil Walker
10-21-2006, 11:06 AM
I undoubtedly have a cloaking device in my shop, didn't know it, but is has to be there. That is the only logical reason why i haven't seen some of my tools in years now. Did not loan then, surely i didn't misplace them, cloaked..... that's the answer. I also must have a de-cloaking device too. I have notice that immediately upon the purchase of a replacement tool the cloaked item reappears.

Your Old Dog
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
quote from the article: "In an ideal situation, the cloak and the item it is hiding would be invisible. An observer would see whatever is beyond them, with no evidence the cloaked item exists."

I got something like that now. Use it mostly for hunting. Used it in Vietnam for hunting also. We called it camo then.