PDA

View Full Version : APT Boring Heads

Peter N
10-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Anybody use one of these? Opinions good or bad?

I have a horrible cheap import boring head that has the detent groove in the micrometer adjuster so badly machined there is around 0.015" backlash in it.
I can live it with providing I keep measuring the bore but it's a pain and I would really like a better one.

The Wohlhaupters and Narexs that come up on e-bay are nice but far too rich for my pocket, and I came across these APT Made in USA items on Froogle.
The price is comparable to the UK sourced far eastern imports as the exchange rate for us is still pretty favourable, and is still a lot less than a similar Criterion.

I can get it bought & shipped via brother-in-law in NY, but I know nothing about how good or bad they are, and I was hoping you guys could give me a bit of feedback.

Peter

Millman
10-22-2006, 11:34 AM
You gotta look at it like, Can I fix it, or is it worth it to replace it? Personally, I would figure out a way to shim, the slot. Even cheap tooling can be fixed. Just takes time.

JCHannum
10-22-2006, 11:36 AM
APT is a good quality US manufacturer. I have not seen their boring heads in person, but they run about 1/2 the cost if comparable sized Criterion.

I see no reason they would not be a good purchase. Maybe some US manufacturers are finally discovering that offering a quality product at a reasonable price is a good business plan.

daryl bane
10-22-2006, 11:38 AM
I have one and its very good. Seems to be well made and very repeatable. If any complaint, I wish the graduations were alittle bigger for these bad eyes.

madman
10-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Git Yourself a big magnifying glass. Really helps. Youll have the eyesight of a Buzzard using one. I bought a Narex head years ago i really like it. Its got so many features just amazing czech device.

billr
10-22-2006, 11:49 AM
I have one and its very good. Seems to be well made and very repeatable. If any complaint, I wish the graduations were alittle bigger for these bad eyes.

good morning.

i also have an apt boring head. mine has a 3'4" straight shank that is integral with the head.

so far i am happy with it. like Mr. Bane, i think the gradations could be a little bigger, but i am old and everything could be a little bigger. reading glasses are a pain in the ass.

good luck, whatever you do.

peace.
billr.

rkepler
10-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I had one and a different experience than Daryl, mine didn't feel very good in setting and the dovetail didn't adjust easily. I never was able to get it to slide easily enough that I could set it reliably and lock - it always went from "too loose" to "too tight". I returned it for a Criteron DBL-202 that I've never had trouble with. Since the designs are so similar I think I just got one of the APTs from the wrong end of the tolerance curve.

I also have a Yuasa that's a lot like the 202, and except for the metric screws (inch reading, though) it's the equal of the Criteron.

John Stevenson
10-22-2006, 12:15 PM
reading glasses are a pain in the ass.

peace.
billr.

Bill, The glasses are supposed to go on your head.

lazlo
10-22-2006, 12:18 PM

I've seen that APT boring head at a local shop -- like Daryl says, they're very nice.
I have a set of APT cobalt boring bars, and they're very nice.

One warning though -- I think APT, like many other vendors, has begun to outsource a lot of their tools, so I don't think all APT tools are Made in the USA.

Millman
10-22-2006, 12:20 PM
[[so I don't think all APT tools are Made in the USA]] So, what is?

lazlo
10-22-2006, 12:26 PM
[[so I don't think all APT tools are Made in the USA]] So, what is?

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic Millman, but my point was that there are two "grades" of APT tools being sold on Ebay, so make sure that the APT boring head you're buying is really Made in U.S.A.

I've seen some of the APT import stuff, and it was the run of the mill Chinese import, with the same APT circular logo on the front of the box and holder. As far as I can tell, the only way to tell is look for the U.S.A stamp in the actual tool.

Millman
10-22-2006, 12:37 PM
[[head you're buying is really Made in U.S.A.]] Lazlo, you are a smart guy; my question is how does Anybody Really know what is made in the US? The tags you will see, does not mean it is solely made in the US. Distributor and manufacturer may not be the same.

lazlo
10-22-2006, 12:44 PM
my question is how does Anybody Really know what is made in the US? The tags you will see, does not mean it is solely made in the US. Distributor and manufacturer may not be the same.

Yeah, that's sure as heck true. I bought some Brown & Sharpe stuff ("Ultra Precision Parallels", 1-2-3 blocks, V-blocks,...) that were obviously made in China, but they sure don't advertise them as being imports.

I haven't run across any tools that were stamped "Made in U.S.A." that weren't though...

Charles Ping
10-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Anybody use one of these? Opinions good or bad?

I have a horrible cheap import boring head that has the detent groove in the micrometer adjuster so badly machined there is around 0.015" backlash in it.
I can live it with providing I keep measuring the bore but it's a pain and I would really like a better one.

The Wohlhaupters and Narexs that come up on e-bay are nice but far too rich for my pocket, and I came across these APT Made in USA items on Froogle.
The price is comparable to the UK sourced far eastern imports as the exchange rate for us is still pretty favourable, and is still a lot less than a similar Criterion.

I can get it bought & shipped via brother-in-law in NY, but I know nothing about how good or bad they are, and I was hoping you guys could give me a bit of feedback.

Peter

Peter

Don't know about APT but might have a Lushington no 2 spare in the next week if you're interested.

Charles

Ian B
10-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Peter,

Have you tried www.ebay.de ? There are more Wohlhaupters over in Germany, so prices tend to be lower there. Don't forget that the ones you're looking at are boring heads only; they can't do facing. I picked up a UPA/5 Wohlhaupter like this one but on a 40 int:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Wohlhaupter-UPA5-Plan-und-Ausdrehkopf-Set_W0QQitemZ120044595766QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46363Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

on ebay.de for € 500; boxed, perfect condition and with all the accessories.

Regards,

Ian

Peter N
10-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Peter

Don't know about APT but might have a Lushington no 2 spare in the next week if you're interested.

Charles

Thank you Charles, definitely interested. I'll drop you a mail later on, and I've still got to pop over some time to get those change gears.

Peter

ralphe
10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I have been using an APT head with an R8 shaft for a few years. It has worked nicely for me.

kap pullen
10-22-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't know what you are getting at?

"I have a horrible cheap import boring head that has the detent groove in the micrometer adjuster so badly machined there is around 0.015" backlash in it."

All boring heads and slides have some backlash.

You have to keep the backlash in the same direction to get accurate readings on most mechanisns without ball screws, or hardened, ground, and lapped threads.

Set the gib to give slight "drag" on the screw so the slide dosen't move from vibration and cylindrical forces.

When using a boring head, I will save .015" for finish cuts, and take 1/3 of that, in three cuts, checking between each cut to achieve accurate size.

Setting an indicator to monitor movement will help. Set the indicator at "O"
at the high point, or low point, of the slide as it is rotated by, by hand.

Tool "spring" is a big problem in fiddly little boring bars, and big ones.

Kap

viking
10-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I have a APT boring head with integral R8 shank and it is a nice piece except as others have noted the graduations on the dial are really small and closely spaced. I guess I should follow the advice of others and keep a magnifing glass handy.

outback
10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
I have two APT boring heads. One holds 3/8 shank boring bars and the other holds 5/8 boring bars. I did some work on the dovetail gib of the 3/8 boring head. Don't remember now what I did but it works great now. The 5/8 head worked well right out of the box. Both heads have R-8 shanks.

I also have a 3" boring head purchased from ENCO. Holds 3/4 shank boring bars and the head has an R-8 shank. It is made in Taiwan and is darn good head for around $80.
Jim