PDA

View Full Version : Making washers

gld
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
In a past issue of Machinist Workshop there was an article on making flat washers. Saw it this summer in a Borders book store.
Should have purchased it.(Brain fart) Now I want to order the back issue and need to know which one.
:confused:
Thanks

Peter N
10-27-2006, 03:13 PM
32 views and no response - everyone thinking the same thing then?

Can't help with the magazine issue, but for making washers just turn your bar stock to size, face, drill, part-off - then repeat the last two for as many as you need.

Peter

SGW
10-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Drop a line to our generous host, Neil, and ask him. His e-mail address must be somewhere on this site. I think there's also online indexes of all the Village Press publications here somewhere, which might turn it up.

lynnl
10-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Well thankfully Millman didn't see this first!

I seem to recall that issue. Seems it showed how to part several at a time just a skosh deeper than the desired ID, then they'd just slide off onto the drill as the hole deepened.

dp
10-27-2006, 04:53 PM
These are not exactly washers but the process is the same. I needed to make some slotted shims for my tool post because various positions cause the handle to interfere with the tool holder, so I turned some brass the size I wanted, ran my parting tool partway into the brass rod several times to generate a variety of thicknesses, then drilled the rod. The washers dropped one at a time onto the drill.

I stacked them and clamped them in a vice and put a slot through all of them so they would slide under the clamping nut with clearance for the mounting stud. Now I can put the tool at any angle and still have clearance with the handle. It was cheaper than a new style tool post. That will come later - it's a pretty crappy tool post. I just checked with Grizzly to see if they're too embarrassed to sell them separate from the G0516 Lathe and apparently they are.

gld
10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I did check online and did not find it. Also called the reprint sales number and they could not find it either. (don't think I was dreaming)

I have tried the parting off thing. The parting tool never leaves the back side of washer parallel with the front. Even made sure the cut off tool cutting edge is square with bar stock. It always seems to wander off one direction or the other.

winchman
10-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I used a simple home-made collet to make all these washers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/Projects/Tire_Mold_1.jpg

I turned the stock to size on the OD, drilled the ID slightly undersize, faced the end, bandsawed that piece off, and repeated the process. I marked the stock so I could get it back in the 3-jaw in the same position each time.

I did enough blanks to use up about an inch of stock, then took another grip on the stock.

The collet gripped on the OD of the blanks while I finished the ID and faced them to thickness. I shortened the collet as the washers got thinner.

I'm sorry I can't find the photo of the collet to show you.

Roger

Your Old Dog
10-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Well thankfully Millman didn't see this first!

He's tied up on the campaign trail :D

Mcgyver
10-28-2006, 10:25 AM
winchman, neat work, any more info on the collet & what is the item in the centre of the pic?

winchman
10-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Here's a sketch:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/000_14742.jpg

The three saw cuts are offset 60 degrees from the chuck jaws. It was machined and indexed like a spud to eliminate chuck error. It always went back in the chuck in the same position it was in when the recess for the washers was bored.

The project was a mold to make custom tires for RC cars.

Roger

PHiers
10-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I remember seeing it but I don't remember what issue it was. I you want to search for it this is the url.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/articleindex.php?pubcode=MW