PDA

View Full Version : Lets play 20 Question`s

lane
10-28-2006, 09:49 PM
http://www.cp-tel.net/mary/MT&CGrinder.htm

OK what is this ? Yes I know some kind of grinder ,But what is it for ,what was ground on it , My buddy found it and we design a work head design copyed from a Stent Grinder and adapted to it . The bar will go on eather side ,and straight in on the left side . Originalityit had a little platten on the end with two notches cut at differert angles and something like two little clamps on it. The name tag seems to say Peerless.

JCHannum
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
It bears some resemblence to the Gorton and Deckel grinders. Is the large diameter of the workhead free to spin?

Did Peerless make a Pantograph? These are used to sharpen pantograph styluses(styli?).

It certainly looks like a solid enough machine to be agood starting place for a T&C grinder.

lane
10-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes J.C. we built the work head it will rotate in 2 planes and rock forward and back about 30 degrees eather way . It will also move in and out about 1 1/2 in by screw travel on the bar it is mounted on. which is factory.The last 3 pictures are of the original piece that moved in and out on the green piece with the adj. screw to the far left. we re made the shaft and work head.

DR
10-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Engraving cutters? To grind engraving cutters you almost need a collet type workhead to hold round shanks.

Double end grinders with work heads and adjustment on both ends were used to grind cutters for Swiss screw machines, similar to yours, although they usually had coolant systems built in. The work heads don't use collet systems.

Mike Gibson
10-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Your machine has some similarities to a chaser grinder for threading machines such as Landis, Hill-Acme.

RobDee
10-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Looks like a valve grinder to me.

Norman Atkinson
10-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Lane!

How or Howe? Perhaps you should explain.

He's playing trick or treat

Cheers

Norm

lane
10-29-2006, 08:24 PM
NORM How OR HOWE what? Yes I know I cant spell H-LL I`m a machinist not an English teacher. Cant type eather keep hitting the wrong keys. No My buddy Monty came up with this grinder and we turned it in to something he could grind tool bits on for his lathe . Like most home shop machinist he just cant get the nack of grinding cutting tool bits. I may have to do like my old machine shop instructor did us . HE gave each new lathe studant a coffie can full of 1/4 -3/8 key stock cut 3inches long and a chart showing how to grind tool bits for the lathe and put us in front of a bench grinder and told us to grind tool bits untill we got them right. One guy was their for 6 weeks finely quit trade school. I learned after about 2 days and numb an melted fingers.

Norman Atkinson
10-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Lane,
You are a fine machinist- and you know it.
However, you are being naughty because the tool holder is from Geof Howe in Projects 1 for his Stent but copied from the Quorn which was copied from the Deckel which was- well, even I get lost.

Good gracious, me ole buddy, this is complicated enough. Now we want the rest of the good folks to actually start building their own versions. I would far rather read other peoples experiences than mine.

I was writing just yesterday to another member of the Forum about a takeover and I suspect that two tool and cutter grinders will be affected.
Maybe I'm wrong but will try to keep you posted whatever comes.

Me other job- was guessing. Who knows, I may have lost me knack.

Until- well, cheers

Norm

MRL
10-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Lane, why do it by hand when I have that grinder now. :-) As you know I knocked out a "perfect" 60 deg threading tool on it in a matter of minutes and it does just a great job on parting tools. Sure wish we could get it identified though. May have one of a kind grinder here.l

I am ancious to complete the fixture for the cuttermaster now. I think that will be the cats meow.

Norman Atkinson
10-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Obviously, I have lost me knack!

It was not the firm that I thought but Woking Precision Models!

Long time since I made anything from them. I recall them under the Forth Road Bridge in South Queensferry, North of Edinburgh.

Maybe I am a bit premature so let's wait and see.

Cheers

Norm