PDA

View Full Version : Stent Tool Grinder project

luckypierre
10-29-2006, 07:10 PM
I recently aquired a set of castings for a Stent tool grinder,and am starting this project I believe machinist workshop mag had a blow by blow description of construction some time ago would anyone have a copy of this available or care to share their experiences with making this Stent tool and cutter grinder

lane
10-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Sorry I cant help . But where did you get the casting from . Looking for some here in the states cheep

JCHannum
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
As far as I can recall, Machinist's Workshop or Home Shop Machinist have not had anything on the Stent. There were several articles by Walter Mueller on improvements to the Quorn, and other articles on homebuilt T&C grinders.

rkepler
10-29-2006, 09:29 PM
There was a series of articles in Model Engineer, I've got them out in the shop somewhere as well as a 90% finished Stent (OK, I know where the Stent is, I'll have to look for the article copies).

lazlo
10-30-2006, 12:34 AM
As far as I can recall, Machinist's Workshop or Home Shop Machinist have not had anything on the Stent.

The Stent is a commercial casting kit sold by Blackgates U.K:

(under equipment castings, halfway down the page): http://www.blackgates.co.uk/

RKepler, where the heck did you find a set of Stent castings in the US?! :)

luckypierre
10-30-2006, 06:29 PM
On reflection I think the article may have been in Model Engineer Workshop magazine, or Model engineer magazine. I picked up the castings at auction in Australia and ordered the missing casting from Blackgates in the UK.
LPR Toolmakers may have castings available in Australia.

rkepler
10-30-2006, 06:44 PM
where the heck did you find a set of Stent castings in the US?!

I didn't, I bought them from Blackgates and a friend picked them up at a show. After handing them off to a couple other folks they landed in a container of food processing equipment on it's way to Chicago. After being picked up there by another friend they were posted to me here in Albuquerque (I was temped to see if I could get them here without formal shipping, but broke down).

I helps to have friends all over the place, and since I'd been hauling things to friends all over the world....

Norman Atkinson
10-31-2006, 03:59 AM
The article was definitely in Model Engineer!
For some reason- probably mental whatsits- I actually wrote a reply but it hasn't posted. I've had some in MyMyford forum as well.
Lazlo will have to put up with a tad of repetition- sorry mate!

The first thing to mention that there are 2 Stents! One has a longer rear bit for the motor. The next thing was that Blackgates also offered a part machined set of castings and a fully made machine. I have been trying to get Lazlo an untouched but partly machined set but without success.

So onto the castings as they come from Blackgates. Quite simply, these require an awful lot of milling and power milling because of the long runs of both Tee slot cutting and milling vee ways. In the Model Engineer article, the guy used horizontal milling for most of his job. I was stuck with a Chinese mill drill and it does present a lot more problems. Given a mill which is both horizontal and vertical, the base appears a doddle.

Once the Stent- Stent is sort of lying on the bench ready to have the spindle and tool holding gear added, it is time to have a re-think because the
Quorn spindle can be substituted. Again, I think that I have flogged that too often already. Again, the tool holders are OK and look like John Stevenson's CD bits on the Clarkson and Boxford, it is worth thinking Quorn yet again but
the Quorn tool holder has to be tilted. Geof Howe in Projects 1 gives a blow by blow account of how(?) he grafted one to the other.
My mate, George, has a Stent with the Quorn bits like Mr Howe's but George fitted stops onto the worktable and fitted the Quorn spindle.
I cannot recall the exact details but he used a Tee piece of iron piping to take the spindle- and not the casting.

Again, I cannot over emphasise the usefulness of John's CD because as George rightly pointed out, his Stent is a baby Clarkson. The drawings of the
Stent tool holding are scaled down versions of the Clarkson ones.After all, I have a Clarkson set!

Clearly, the adding of tooling is the really hard part.

I hope that this helps

Norm

smagovic
10-31-2006, 05:11 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished grinder, including a name of the guy who build it.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bsme/member_projects.htm

Vic

Norman Atkinson
10-31-2006, 05:43 AM
Thanks Vic!
Again, another Stent which appears extensively modified but still looks great.

I keep feeding Lazlo with bits and bobs and ideas. At the end of the day, I hope that he will be able produce a machine which has all the features but avoids the horrendous surcharge of postage and packing.

It makes me feel lucky having got an ancient Clarkson for £100 plus half a tank of gas and then a phone call asking if I wanted a whole raft of goodies for only twice that. In other words, it was cheaper adding both costs than buying castings and then making a Stent.
Yea, it is as rough as a badger's butt /bottom but it all works.

Thanks again, Vic, for adding more useful info.

Norm

lazlo
10-31-2006, 09:38 AM
I didn't, I bought them from Blackgates and a friend picked them up at a show.
I helps to have friends all over the place, and since I'd been hauling things to friends all over the world....

That's a great story Russ! Adds a nice history to your Stent. :p

I wish someone in the 'States like Gary Martin (Martin Model, the US distributor of the Quorn castings) would pick up the Stent and the Hemingway castings -- I'm sure there's a lot of U.S. HSM'ers that would buy these castings if the shipping didn't cost as much, or more, than the castings.

I'd also love to purchase a set of the CES Hobber castings...

lazlo
10-31-2006, 09:55 AM
The first thing to mention that there are 2 Stents! One has a longer rear bit for the motor.

Didn't the original Stent castings also have a shorter table? I remember reading the build log of a U.K. builder and he was lamenting that he would have bough the Stent kit with the longer table, if it were available at the time.

Again, I cannot over emphasise the usefulness of John's CD because as George rightly pointed out, his Stent is a baby Clarkson.

Mine's on the way from England -- can't wait to see the German home-built T&C grinder :)

So why is it that books and CD's ship so cheaply by Royal Air Mail, but Blackgates charges £110.00 ($208 USD) to ship 30 Kg (66 lbs) of castings? :confused:

Is there some big export tarrif that the U.K. applies to retail goods?

luckypierre
10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
where might I aquire a copy of John Stevensons Cd you speak of Norm?

I probably should know but I am relatively new to this game and am enjoying it a great deal.
Regards Luckypierre

lazlo
10-31-2006, 10:38 PM
where might I aquire a copy of John Stevensons Cd

John sells the CD through Ebay as the seller "marypoppinsbag":
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160042790666