PDA

View Full Version : OT-weather, seasonal depression

BillH
10-30-2006, 10:12 AM
I grew up in the North East, and after the fall, the weather gets sucky, gloomy, depressing. Now I never really suffered depression from it but the mood was just icky.
Now living down in South Florida this time of the year, it is amazing. Despite my injuries, I never felt better. My body is acting like its a beutiful spring day in late May. I am happy, its 7o something here, dry, just awsome. Been this way for past 2 weeks.
It is as if my summer never ended. This is important, as I will have to decide where I want to settle down in life after school. Seattle is OUT of the question, as is the North East. Maybe I will stay in Florida.

Evan
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
http://vts.bc.ca/pics/hurricane.jpg

A.K. Boomer
10-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Wow, its ---- its --- its - beautiful...

dp
10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Ah - but we have this: http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/images/sthelensplume01.jpg

It's Mount St. Helens. The plume coming off the growing lava dome was backlit by the sunshine this am - yep - Sunshine!. Our temps have dropped to 33.5 F this morning. We had to bring in the taro plants and coffee trees last week so they don't freeze to death, but the fall colors in the back yard are very nice.

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/images/taroplants.jpg
Time to make poi! The hibiscus are plastic but we had a good crop of real ones this year.

The backyard yesterday at breakfast. A hail storm had just started and 10 minutes later you couldn't see the deck for all the ice.

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/images/fallcolors.jpg

Last batch of coffee beans fresh from the roaster
http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/images/coffeebeans.jpg

It was about this time last year that 3 months of steady rain began and it was pretty depressing :) To make this topical - I'm trying to make a proper coffee roaster from a hot air popcorn popper and am looking for a way to make a chaff separator/catcher screen that won't catch fire and still look nice. A table top drum roaster is next.

Evan
10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
A major storm moved through BC this weekend. Some areas have 2' of snow and we got a few inches. The temp is -10C this morning and the fall colors are long gone. Winter always sets in here by Halloween. Fortunately, I have 36,000 lumens of light in my small shop. I am considering adding some more to light up the dimmer corners...

Tom Buchanan
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
82 degrees here in oklahoma yesterday.won't last though...supposed to get clear down into the 60's soon.

Your Old Dog
10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
BillH
Up yours.
Ray (in Buffalo!)

pstephens
10-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I rather like the rhythm of the seasonal changes here in the midwest (Indiana). The coming of the cold weather signals the start of the Indoor Projects Season. No more worrying about planting, mowing, trimming, weeding, raking. My shop is cozy and warm, and there's plenty to do.

Evan
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Same here. Now, if I could figure out a way to not have to go outside at all in winter I would be happier.

wierdscience
10-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Mid 65-70 here,low humidity,clear blue sky,nice fishing weather,think I'll go Saturday:D

JimB
10-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Come on over Darin, I have a boat, wife will steer while we fish and drink beer.

BadDog
10-30-2006, 08:29 PM
I've lived all over; WA, NJ, FL, AL, AZ, etc. I'll take AZ thank you. I recall reading that Phoenix metro gets like 360 days of sunshine a year. Sure, it's hot for a few months, but I'll be laughing while setting in my hammock wearing a light jacket in the dead of winter while you guys slog it out with overcast skys and snow up to your... well, you get the picture... ;)

A.K. Boomer
10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
I have to have the change of seasons , if it was nice all the time id never get anything done on my mill or indoors on the house, I do some of my best work when im a little "blue" (no colloidal silver jokes please)
My mills in the basement and i hate it down there when its nice out, id rather be riding my bike somewhere, but i hate the cold and dont ski or anything so when the weather gets crappy I like to hunker down in the basement and fire up the china hoe ---- enco delivered today and im heading down to chuck up some of my new stuff, china tools for my china hoe, life is good.

Evan
10-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Sure, it's hot for a few months, but I'll be laughing while setting in my hammock wearing a light jacket in the dead of winter while you guys slog it out with overcast skys and snow up to your... well, you get the picture...

Yeah, except when it drops to 20F and snows like it did one night when I was riding a motorcycle back to Fort Huachuca from Tuscon.

lane
10-30-2006, 09:51 PM
IF you can live through the summer LOUISIANA`S great the rest of the time The north part any way.

BadDog
10-30-2006, 10:00 PM
IF you can live through the summer LOUISIANA`S great the rest of the time The north part any way.
If the bugs don't carry you off that is... I lived in N. AL (born and raised) for many years, and if anything, the bugs were sometimes worse than the humid heat... Same for yellow flies in FL!

Evan: I've seen it hit low 30s on the very odd occasion in the Phoenix area, (even saw it snow on Christmas in '97 IIRC) and we get snow as close in as nearby Cave Creek just North, but it very rarely gets below 40 (and then usually when an arctic front swings abnormally low due to Jet Stream diversion) at my house in N. Paradise Valley (which is an appropriate name I think).

Evan
10-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Arctic Front. Yeah sure. I think they call that "modified arctic air", very modified. :)

If I were to live in the states I would pick Arizona. I like the desert and I like hot. If you recall I was out melting 70 lbs of lead this year on the hottest day of the year (100F in the shade). I really like the country down there, it's some of my favorite.

Here is one of the pinnacles in the Chiricahua National Monument:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/view2.jpg

I climbed it too. Here is the view looking down:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/view3.jpg

Tinkerer
10-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Evan. I have 36,000 lumens of light in my small shop. I am considering adding some more to light up the dimmer corners...

That's' like 45... 14 watt mini spiral light. So what type of lighting do you have that is kickin' that many lumens. :eek:

Evan
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Mainly high brightness daylight 4' tubes, 8 of them, 3300 lumens each. There is a very big range of brightness available in 4' tubes from as low as 1500 to as high as 3300 lumens per tube. I also have individual work lights, also daylight spectrum as well as a few other lights scattered around. Bright is good.

x39
10-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Autumn in Maine is a good thing. The tourists go away. :)

Tinkerer
10-30-2006, 11:05 PM
I've been trying to cut down on my electric usage so been removing all my 4' fixtures and replacing with the mini spirals in bright white. Been quite surprised with the amount of light these little bulbs put out. 14 watt usage with 60 watt output. Put a few of these in those dark coners. ;)

rsr911
10-30-2006, 11:30 PM
I've been trying to cut down on my electric usage so been removing all my 4' fixtures and replacing with the mini spirals in bright white. Been quite surprised with the amount of light these little bulbs put out. 14 watt usage with 60 watt output. Put a few of these in those dark coners. ;)

I switched my entire house over to the spirals, really helped the electric bill.

I've heard of light therapy for seasonal depression, some special sort of bulb that emits more like the sun but without all the UV.

Me? I like winter, it's the very end of winter just before spring that I don't like, everything seems dirty and usually is. Well that and it's also the time I realize how many of the winter projects I didn't finish or even start in some cases.

A.K. Boomer
10-30-2006, 11:48 PM
I bet i have the highest efficiency shop when it comes to lighting, as long as my 14w benchlight is not in use i have a 14w spiral light a 11w spiral flood and a 15w 2ft floresent tube light, 40 watts is what i use right now but thats soon to change when i get my mill mount light, prob. another 11 watts, my shop is L shaped but i would say equiv. to about 6'6" by 12'

BadDog
10-31-2006, 12:46 AM
"Modified Arctic" or not, it FEELS Arctic to us hot desert dwellers when it comes through! ;)

Nice pics Evan, and I too really like this area. So much terrain variety within a very short distance in various directions. I love being "out there", particularly under a cold, clear, dark (no moon) night...

Edit: Well, "cold" by my reconning. You would call it "balmy" I expect...

BadDog
10-31-2006, 12:49 AM
I've heard of light therapy for seasonal depression, some special sort of bulb that emits more like the sun but without all the UV.

When we lived in Redmond, WA, my wife was diagnosed with severe SAD first winter we were there. Before the next winter, I spent a bloody FORTUNE refitting my 2 story house with those full spectrum "day lights". Didn't seem to help much, just delayed the onset a bit is about all I could say in their favor as a treatment for SAD.

Evan
10-31-2006, 01:02 AM
I've been trying to cut down on my electric usage so been removing all my 4' fixtures and replacing with the mini spirals in bright white. Been quite surprised with the amount of light these little bulbs put out. 14 watt usage with 60 watt output. Put a few of these in those dark coners.

The four foot tubes are about the same efficiency as the spirals if you get the right ones. The ones I have put out 3300 lumens for 40 watts. That's just as good as the compact fluorescents and the light is much better distributed. I also use several 23 watt spirals as work lights and have a couple of more in the ceiling, all the daylight spectrum type.

We use compact fluorescents almost exclusively and have only a few exceptions, mainly the 300 watt outside halogen floods. Those aren't on much and fluorescents don't work outside in the winter.

Dawai
10-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Bill:

I have been all over the country. I loved Colorado. Loved Northern California, I moved back here to North Georgia.

Pro's good weather most the year. Southern people are pretty nice. THEY are a lot of crazies down here.

Cons: I live in a slave labor oriented town where they use illegals and semi legals, very little work for a high paid electrician at times. WORST allergy area in the world, we have more mold, more pollen, more junk in the air than anywhere else in the world.

Lemme tell you about depression.. I have been hypoglycemic for two years now and they still won't write it on a piece of paper.. Got a 10 year old daughter without enough love for Dad to come visit when she is supposed to. The way she is going I am not happy. Not enough religion, nor moral training, nor respect for elders. She exists in the "ME" world.

I'm bored with the toys: I want a Haybusa.. been pressing my face up to the dealership glass.

BillH
10-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Guys, I wasn't trying to rub anything in to anyone, I was being serious. The weather this time of the year down here is tricking my body into believing its late spring in the North East. It really does have an effect, makes me feel exactly like school just ended and summer vacation just started. I was being serious, I never thought such critieria would be so important for picking a place where I live, now it is.
I never been to Arizona but its a place I would like to check out sooner or later.
Dave, I thought about Georgia, what I really want is nice weather and lots of cheap land in a Red State.

wierdscience
10-31-2006, 08:55 PM
Come on over Darin, I have a boat, wife will steer while we fish and drink beer.

Jim I would take you up on that,but there is a live steam show in Meridian this Saturday,guess where I am going?:D

Besides,remind me to tell you why I will never again set foot on a boat shorter than 125':D

BillH
10-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Jim I would take you up on that,but there is a live steam show in Meridian this Saturday,guess where I am going?:D

Besides,remind me to tell you why I will never again set foot on a boat shorter than 125':D
OOoh a story, tell us!

wierdscience
10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Bill:

I'm bored with the toys: I want a Haybusa.. been pressing my face up to the dealership glass.

First what is a Haybusa? and can it be cured with penicellin?:D

Also,did you get mail from me?

Evan
10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
http://vts.bc.ca/pics/hayabusa.jpg

Joel
10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
There is no cure Wierd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0aK-yIKvv0&mode=related&search=

JimB
10-31-2006, 10:05 PM

Darin, I guess that leaves out fishing from one of the original bow riders.
http://myweb.cableone.net/barney9014/images/11/5.jpg
Your always in the bow no matter where you sit. Jim

wierdscience
10-31-2006, 10:07 PM
OOoh a story, tell us!

Well it's a two parter,but here goes-

A long long time ago,on a river not far away,I had a buddy with a houseboat and a deathwish.He and I would run his trot lines and slatboxes and had many hours of fun doing so.
But this one night late one winter we went out on his same old boat,but with a new motor.It was an 18' flat,that now had a 65 merc on the tail.This is fine for open water,but not on a small river during low water.This was the first trip that new season.The evening was spent with me in the front to hold the bow down and get out and push when we hit every sandbar,cypress knee and log on the river.
It's a challenge to dodge birch limbs during daylight,but at night it's just not humanly possible,especially when it's cold and your moving at what seems like 300mph.
Also,you would not think snakes would be out coiled up in those tree limbs when it's 50* out,but hey it was a learning experience.

Flash forward a few years,a customer and friend invited me to go for a spin in his new rig.46'not counting the stern ramp,full inboard,AC,big screen tv,fullsized bunks,a shower albeit small and room for six with reasonable comfort,oh and a dive ramp and fishing gear.
It was he and his girlfriend,her three friends,me and a mutual aquaintence.He and his girlfriend were trying to get me married off at the time,so it was sort of a setup,all three of the friends were female,mid 20's and friendly.I particularly remember one named Jenny,still see her from time to time and she still makes a bikini look good:)
There is something about single women,sun,sea and boats that makes a good combination:D
What I liked about that boat was the sheer comfort.You didn't have to sit there and bake for the whole trip,it had AC in the cabin,if the fish weren't biting you could watch TV,you could use an actual toilet,you could sit in an actual chair with a pretty girl in your lap and .....well:rolleyes:

So the moral of the story is,if 46' is that nice,125' should be more than twice as good,that and you guessed it,I am spoiled rotten:D

wierdscience
10-31-2006, 10:19 PM
So that's what a Huyabusa is,hummmm...looks fast,looks like lots of trouble too,kinda like that 125'er I want,sad a man can never have enough money or life:D

Jim,I will be fishing from the bank,you have seen me in person,there wouldn't be much freeboard left ,plus I would need one for the other foot too.ARRRRRGHHH....matie,I r a fat bastard,plus I be ugly which is why me young lass Jenny ran the otherway on the beach:D

Dawai
11-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Darin:

Jenny may have ran the other way on the beach for you? I ran this poor girl in Adairsville out of her shoes, they have a street dance every year. I introduced myself with a quart of whiskey in one hand and a freshly laid over nose and a bloody shirt. I looked down, she had kicked them off so she could make good time.

I got Carrol. I wasn't looking for a woman when I found her. She has taken care of me during my ill periods, The best I have done for her is build her a house *not a very good one of those either. It is a plywood shack wrapped in vinyl. She has been a good enough woman to mostly make up for all the self centered "it's all about ME" personality types I have had before.

http://bbssystem.com/files/thumbs/t_lex_n_david_napping_662.jpg
My new best buddy.. GROWING at a alarming rate. 15+ lbs in a month. Allready a character, he steals tools out of the shop like Butch used to. He learned what the word "look out" means the same way Butch did. I got this one rubber coated tape measure he likes to steal so I chase him around the yard.

Carrol says not 'no" but "Hell no" on the Hayabusa. ( I do have this 350 out of a drag car, and a tbucket frame thou)

Your Old Dog
11-02-2006, 04:54 AM
BillH,
Hope you know I was just funnen you :D I got blood all over Florida. Hell, some of my best friends are from Florida ! :D

ray.........

wierdscience
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Darin:

Jenny may have ran the other way on the beach for you? I ran this poor girl in Adairsville out of her shoes, they have a street dance every year. I introduced myself with a quart of whiskey in one hand and a freshly laid over nose and a bloody shirt. I looked down, she had kicked them off so she could make good time.

I got Carrol. I wasn't looking for a woman when I found her. She has taken care of me during my ill periods, The best I have done for her is build her a house *not a very good one of those either. It is a plywood shack wrapped in vinyl. She has been a good enough woman to mostly make up for all the self centered "it's all about ME" personality types I have had before.
)

Ya,Jenny,the Hayabusa and a Ferrai all fall in the same catagory,you know you can't afford the up-keep,but you would like to drive one once:D

Ahhh...but there is a lot to be said for happiness.My buddy here and his wife,they have chosen the simple life,no big house,no new cars,no big bills,they and the're kids are happy.Next door to him is a 6,000sq ft house,with three cars in the garage,big swimming pool and two very unhappy people who have no kids and never see each other making money to pay for it all,why????

Evan
11-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I was snooping around on the net today and look what I found. Never mind the Hayabusa... :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/jetbike.jpg

speedsport
11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
David C.,
What happened to Butch?, did the heartworms get him?

dp
11-03-2006, 12:21 AM
How to say dat? Iz for short. Kahmahkah vee voh oh lay

The cure for depression is to seek out uplifting things. My personal favorite is this man, his music, his culture, and his islands:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=brRsRTTp1Pw&mode=related&search=

Not just this video - but the music and culture behind it. Hawai`ian music is relaxing. Very relaxing. Bruddah Iz passed in 1997, but he left so much of himself behind. When the video is over the music continues at http://www.hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/irhlive.html and other internet radio stations. Nothing like it to make you feel better about the world when the days draw short and the nights are cold. Give it a week and it will give you a lifetime. It's island fever - catch it. No - I don't get paid to say this. I paid for the t-shirt, got the tattoos, bought the CD's :)

Wayne02
11-04-2006, 04:04 PM
This is important, as I will have to decide where I want to settle down in life after school. Seattle is OUT of the question...
Say what? Where is the love for Seattle???

Here is our current 7 day forecast...
http://bimedia.ftp.clickability.com/fishwebftp/KOMO/4_6day.jpg

;)

And, to further entice you. Seattle recently spent 200K to come up with a new Seattle tourism slogan... "Seattle Is Metronatural"...
hardy har har!!!! I can't make this stuff up!

http://www.visitseattle.org/images/site/headers/visitor/fishAd.jpg

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/ap/img/9aa30f95-2f75-4ea7-981d-3ee18d9e2928.jpg

BillH
11-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Wayne, My Uncle and his room mate here in Naples are both ex Boeing Engineers. I don't think they would ever let me go to Seattle willingly, nor work for Boeing, lol. Yeh that lovely weather, I hear about it all the time. My uncle just got a laugh out of your post.

nheng
11-04-2006, 06:10 PM
BillH, You're gonna get bored of the flat land, you'll have the same car for 30 years as it won't rust in the hot sun, your tools WILL rust, and the women wear very little clothing due to the heat.

I'll be right down ;)

Evan
11-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I can't decide which is more ridiculous, "Metronatural" or "Say Wa".:rolleyes:

Who approves this stuff anyway?

Wayne02
11-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I can't decide which is more ridiculous, "Metronatural" or "Say Wa".:rolleyes:

Who approves this stuff anyway?
Why our great leaders who know what's best for the peoples of course. Seattle got a deal with Metronatural, as the consultants only charged 200K to come up with it. The "Say Wa" consultants charged 500K to come with that state tourism slogan.

"Say Wa" was dropped a few weeks ago because studies showed people couldn't figure out what the heck it was supposed to be about. Duh.
I can't wait to see what the state comes up with next...

Evan
11-04-2006, 10:06 PM
What happened to "The Emerald City"? That isn't half bad. It sounds green and "green" is in these days.

Dawai
11-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Speedsport, NO.. 44 did, he did not suffer. I loved him, he loved me and my wife, unfortunatly after his nuggets dropped he started acting more beserk and less likely to win friends. Some say he was a clone of my personality. He always tried to be boss, he gave me 5 warning bites in about three seconds. None broke the skin. That was a day after he growled and bit the fence at my grandbaby.

He got loose ran the neighborhood and put everyone in thier home. I laid him to rest and squalled for two weeks, I still tear up. I could not think of anywhere kids were not to send him. Some of the kids need thier ass tore up, but today that can't happen. Especially with that breed, you lost the case before you get to court.

A pet owners responsibilty is more than just to his pet. THE new pup has been deballed. He is a nice pup that loves the ups man and would lick the hand of a burgular. I really didn't want another pitt.. I got another one gave to me.

We'll try this again, I will keep the teasing rock throwing kids away from this one. So far he has loved everyone he has met.

Butch put two people who climbed my six foot chain link fence back over. I got motion detector internet based cameras now. RUnning Linux, motion software a free download from sourceforge.org, a $20 chinese dvr board and HF cameras. Anything move and it takes a snapshot, My software uploads it to my webspace.

speedsport
11-05-2006, 10:12 AM
David C.
Sad to hear that it came to that, had to be a really hard thing to do, but if had had chewed up your grandchild or worse........., well we won't go there. You gotta keep us posted on the new one. Name?

gizmo2
11-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Spent many years in the Chicagoland area, and the winters did get on your nerves. NOt enough snow to go play, just muck up travel and get dingy. Sometimes weeks would go by without sunshine. Damp cold winds off the lake. Chills the bones just to think of it. Spent the last 15 years in Wyoming. Winter comes sooner and the wind is ever-present, but the sun rarely takes the day off. Funny thing about that wind machine; it shuts off about 2 feet past the Colorado border. It's the damnedest thing.

deltap
11-05-2006, 02:19 PM
BillH,Tell me what you think of FL weather after you sweat thru a summer. Everyone who can leaves in the summer(snowbirds). Many move here and then head for TN or the Carolinas(halfbacks).Population of Naples/Ft.Myers doubles in winter. Better brush up on your Spanish. I could go on about education and taxes and insurance and drugs and crime rate but you wil get the picture soon enough.

BadDog
11-05-2006, 02:31 PM
BillH,Tell me what you think of FL weather after you sweat thru a summer. Everyone who can leaves in the summer(snowbirds). Many move here and then head for TN or the Carolinas(halfbacks).Population of Naples/Ft.Myers doubles in winter. Better brush up on your Spanish. I could go on about education and taxes and insurance and drugs and crime rate but you wil get the picture soon enough.
For this and many other reasons, we left S. FL in the late 90s...

BillH
11-05-2006, 04:19 PM
this was my second summer here, first was in 99. Well summer starting in August.
Yes, I actually go to school in Miami. I have an apartment in Miami, my uncles houe where I am stuck while I wait for surgery this Thursday is in Naples. I know all too well about the population exploding when the snow birds get here, my parents among them :(
Yes, I know all too well about the Spanish crap too. I'll still have it all over a bitter cold winter, thank you very much.

BillH
11-05-2006, 04:22 PM
. RUnning Linux, motion software a free download from sourceforge.org, a $20 chinese dvr board and HF cameras. Anything move and it takes a snapshot, My software uploads it to my webspace.
This intrigued me, I believe I found what your talking about, Video4Linux and the Motion program for motion detection. When I get a chance, will try getting my Intel cs330 camera working with my fedora file server. I also found a program that does the same thing for Windows from sourceforge, it is called Dorgem. Too bad my web cam is in Miami at the moment.

JimB
11-05-2006, 07:04 PM
David's camera setup sounds good. I often thought it would be nice to take pictures of the varmints that climb over my fence. The last one tore through the screen door on the porch and ..... cleaned out all the cat food, with the Mr. Tom on the porch, I think he hid. On a more serious note there have been other, bigger varmints that hauled of my little boat at the pier. So sounds like a great set up. Jim

Dawai
11-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Bill..

I wrote and modified a visual basic program that will work with any windows configured camera, and I found a driver for the bttv card. Linux recognizes the card when you boot up. I can load the windows machine up and find the driver if you need me to.. any camera software can see it then. YES, XAWTV is one application that allows you to view it, THere is another webcam package too.. Motion does not have a graphical interface, you start it from console.

Speedsport,
LEx is the new pups name, and he is a handfull.. He sleeps outside in a kennel but stays right next to me all day. When my wife goes to kiss me he is standing between us like a small child. He already understands a lot of words. He has grown four inches in two months now.. I have a new pic of him sleeping sitting on his rump leaned up against my wife with his head laid over next to his rump in a sideways fetal position. I have never saw a live animal sit like that. ONLY POSED or stuffed DEAD ONES. He sleeps on his back a lot with his legs splayed out. I got a showin winkie complaint on the other board.
Like any large animal, you should be aware they have a mind of thier own. Can be dangerous, will be if taught to be by unruly people or ignorant owners. It is fun evidently to tease a puppy rattling a stick on the fence, till the dog can jump six feet straight up and ten feet sideways, then the lil blonde headed boy ran off screaming for his dear life *over butch.. I offered to stomp his father if I even saw that kid in front of my house.(that cured that) NOW that is what happened to Butch, when I'd mow I would find egg sized rocks all over my yard. He was taught to hate kids by kids. ANY animal as powerful as a pitt bulldog must be respected. OR A HORSE.. I got headbutted by one that knocked me silly.
Tear gas just excites a pittbulldog by the way. Never play tug of war with a puppy, it teaches them aggression and if they win, domination.

Butch was a alpha, Evan spoke of having a alpha dog and got lowballed critisized by a bunch of people. If you want to look up the old post, I guarantee he was correct in every word about a alpha dog. Even thou, you can't change the personality of a man or animal, you either love them or hate them or are indifferent. I loved Butch. While my sugar was near coma level, he followed me room to room.

When that very large policeman threatened me on my doorstep, butch was biting the wire and jumping up so he backed off and unbuttoned his pistol. (Funny that rentor ended up somewhere else.) Almost cost me a lot thou. He wasn't a crooked cop I think, just listened to a lying woman and was manipulated by her version of the truth. The judge ruled in my favor.

wierdscience
11-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I was snooping around on the net today and look what I found. Never mind the Hayabusa... :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/jetbike.jpg

So,just where does one aquire Nomex unddies these days?:D

JRouche
11-05-2006, 10:48 PM
"the weather gets sucky, gloomy, depressing. Now I never really suffered depression from it but the mood was just icky."

California has great weather. JRouche

Oh yeah. Folks will want to bash Ca. due to what ever reason. Some people just like to complain about whatever comes their way.

The fact remains, California has the best weather in the United States. IMO of course....

Unless you like to: Shovel snow, Run the air conditioner always, Live in a bug room, Track tornados and hurricanes, Look for sun through the clouds, Experiment with lightening, Check for hail damage, Drive in an ice storm, Enjoy a dust storm, Cut five cords of wood, Pay the oil company, Embrace cactus, Landscape with all rocks and stone, Drive through rock salt, Dodge snow plows, Swim the flash floods or Watch the river banks overflow...

Nope, I have not had the pleasure of those weather events since moving here.

But, I thankfully have had the opportunity to live through each event while living in New Jersey, Colorado, Florida, Oregon, Washington, North Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Nevada, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, New York, Illinois and Thailand.....

speedsport
11-05-2006, 11:09 PM
mudslides, fires, earthquakes, smog, hideous traffic, etc.

JRouche
11-06-2006, 12:12 AM
mudslides, fires, earthquakes, smog, hideous traffic, etc.

Yep.

Though, the original topic was weather so I started there. Fires, earthquakes, smog, hideous traffic, etc is not weather..

Now, if we were to talk about other issues re: the problems with "our States" the can of worms will come crawling about, no doubt.

What state does speedsport live in? Im sure we can drum up some critical analysis...Haa..

Some have more than others but all states have something to be disliked, no doubt....JRouche

The world IS a perfect place. Without it we would be in a vacuum....

speedsport
11-06-2006, 02:03 AM
I believe that weather has a lot to do with fires and mudslides and smog. I live in Oklahoma and all we have is those pesky tornados.

Dawai
11-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Weather, isn't it all earthquake, mudslide, Hurricane? Forces of nature?

Evan:

There is a Hayabusa at the local sherriff's office. It got siezed in a drug dealers bust. IT has a queer paintjob that looks like a alligator back but has chrome nitrous tanks mounted on top of the gas tank. Cams, headwork, clutch pack, special brakes, special tires, shocks and header. Comes up for auction in December they told me.

There will be one pissed off drug dealer huh? Maybe his butt is sitting in prison thou and not bidding against me?

While I was experimenting on the hydrogen peroxide rocket booster to go on the harley, ya'll picked on me telling me I was nuts. I had it all drawed out on paper the cut-out speed control and all. Subsequent tests pushing down on a bathroom scale did not produce the pressure I desired. THERE Is a science to rocket nozzle development I never got. I got to 400lbs boost from a 1" nozzle.. Was expecting five times that. YOU needed ear plugs from the whistle.. Neighbors thought it was a whistle. Actually it was a steam whistle, it sure was no rocket. Lemme look on the bright side? I didn't die or get scalded.

JRouche
11-06-2006, 09:20 AM
I believe that weather has a lot to do with fires and mudslides and smog. I live in Oklahoma and all we have is those pesky tornados.

Fires, nope not always. Usually a$$holes are the start of those. Like the one we just had that killed five fire fighters. Started by a person. JRouche

Evan
11-06-2006, 12:35 PM
David,

You mentioned my previous experience with a truely alpha male dog. One thing I never did was post a pic of him in full gnashing mode.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/thor2.jpg

He would do this on command and after our two rounds of dominance contests was never a problem for us again. It can go either way though and if the dog doesn't submit then there isn't much else you can do but what you did. In my case the problem was simply a change of masters and he wasn't happy about the idea. I think it helped that his first master was my brother and he probably recognized me as a distant member of the pack.

speedsport
11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Isn't lack of rain the reason that SoCal is as dry as a tinderbox?, whoever started the fires should be hung by their nuts forever!, I will never understand why someone would do something like this.