PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sad Time

Paul Alciatore
10-31-2006, 11:12 PM
I am currently on Funeral Leave. My father died last week and the funeral is Thursday. He was actually my step father and one of the finest men I have ever known. He always treated me like one of his own (good things and bad). Also one of the vanishing group of WWII veterans. He fought in both the Pacific and European theaters.

He died of cancer but the end was fast. The diagnosis was less than a month ago and he was his normal, active (for an 80+ year old) up till that time. We visited a few months ago and he drove us several hundred miles to Sacramento to visit one of my wife's brothers. He insisted on doing most of the driving and only let me take over for the last hundred miles or so. He didn't suffer much so thank the Lord for that.

His name was Joseph (Joe) Dreher and a prayer or two on his behalf would be much appreciated is you are so inclined.

Locksmith
10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your stepfather.
Sometimes, at times like these, this quote makes things better. It did for me in the past:
God answers all prayers, but sometimes the answer is no, and only he knows the reason why.

Mike W
10-31-2006, 11:55 PM
I am sorry to hear that Paul. My best to you and your family.

CCWKen
10-31-2006, 11:59 PM
My condolences as well. The passing of a family member is always hard to take and no amount of words ever seem to help. I lost a very close uncle back in June. The feelings always follow the same path--Denial, Grief, Anger then Understanding and Acceptance.

My sincere sympathies for you and yours. I pray your family recovers quickly.

BadDog
11-01-2006, 12:52 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss. Seems most all the men in my family die painfully of Cancer in their 60s, I figure I have 20 years left, tops. I count him a lucky man, and seems you are also lucky for having known him. Kind regards to you and yours...

sidegrinder
11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
My condolences to you and your family Paul. My mother died of cancer a little over 5 years ago at age 54. It's never easy--just know that "this too shall pass." The pain you're feeling now is just temporary, but the good memories you'll keep forever. Sidegrinder.

jr45acp
11-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Today, 11/1 is All Saints Day and when I go to Mass I'll light candles and say a prayer as well. May your Father rest in the arms of God.

Your Old Dog
11-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Our prayers are with you. Your stepfather was a lucky man to have a stepson that called him father and saw him as such. Not all stepfathers and stepsons are as fortunate.

ray............

Cecil Walker
11-01-2006, 08:13 AM
My condolences also Paul. I went thru almost the same thing with my Dad a few years back. He was 86 and a WWII vet as was yours. Heard somewhere that we are loosing these men at the rate of 1500 a day, very sad, they contributed so much.

Norman Atkinson
11-01-2006, 08:27 AM
" As we that are left grow old".

Paul, your step father gave us that opportunity to grow old.

To him and those like him, my heartfelt thanks.

Norman Atkinson

wierdscience
11-01-2006, 08:29 AM
You and your family are in our prayers.

Alguy
11-01-2006, 08:31 AM
My condolences , yes we are losing alot of the veterens at an ever increasing rate . I heard from a former little german boy, 11 during the war asking about my dad and some others in his unit , it seemed the unit dad was in befriended him, now i am sending him dads mailing list so he can get in touch with others while he still can, he resides in ca.
It is hard thing to deal with losing a family member ,all we can do is to try to carry on , wish i could say more than i am sorry, most of the time like this words fail.

Evan
11-01-2006, 08:32 AM
My condolences Paul.

Evan Williams

Al Messer
11-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear this, Paul. I lost my own Father in 1999. Sometimes, I still want to pick up the phone and ask his advice on a woodworking problem---and then I remember.

Orrin
11-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Paul, Cathy and I extend our sincere condolences, knowing this is a very hard time for you.

Best regards,

Orrin and Cathy

cam m
11-01-2006, 10:44 AM
My condolences Paul..

It's never easy... Try to remember the good times and treasure them.

Cam

StephenK
11-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Are prayers are with you Paul.

Janis and StephenK

Zuesdawg
11-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Paul, I would like to send my condolences to you as well.

My mother fought cancer for the past year. She was finished with the chemo and actually won her fight. Having tested clean of cancer and done with the chemo treatments she died three weeks ago from complications associated with it.

You and your family are in my prayers. Three weeks later I think of her every day and think I will for the rest of my life. She was not suppose to die. I guess I can take solice in the fact that she passed peacefully.

BillH
11-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear about it Paul. Unexpected is always harder to deal with.

lynnl
11-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss Paul.

It's especially painful realizing all of those great men from the greatest generation of men ever, who saved the world from the Nazis and Japanese are now passing from us so quickly.

Ausserdog
11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Paul,
My condolences as well. My father-in-law passed away from cancer 2 months ago. Another WW2 vet and one of the finest men I've ever known. It's not easy, but be at peace. You and your family are in our thoughts.

torker
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Paul...Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine on my 13th birthday and still miss him from time to time.
I hope you got to spend lots of time with him over the years!
Godspeed...
Russ

Furnace
11-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Sorry for your loss as well. I lost the best friend I have ever had in my 30 years of living on September 24th. Even though I had only known and worked with him for 5 1/2 years I was closer to him than I was to my dad. He got up to go to the bathroom and had a heart attack and never recovered, he was 51. Best man I have ever met...period. I took his position at work, reluctantly, but having them hire someone else to fill it wouldnt have been right. They wouldnt have done things the way he wanted. Once again sorry for your loss.

Paul Alciatore
11-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks to all of you for the kind sentiments and prayers. I also feel for all who have lost loved relatives and friends. There are too few of both. I shall say a prayer and light a candle for all here who have lost love ones.

Peace and friendship to all!

freddycougar
11-02-2006, 01:09 AM
sorry about your personal loss
freddy

Ron Horton
11-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Paul-- So very sorry to hear of your loss-- GOD bless you and yours-- Best regards, Ron

Dawai
11-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Sorry for you and your family. I sure miss my dad.

SJorgensen
11-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your step dad. Sounds like he lived a pretty full life and had many exciting adventures along the way. He was lucky to have you and others that appreciated him around as well. It was also strangely fortunate that the desease was relatively quick. Some desease and treatments only prolong the unbearable for both the patient and the family.
My father has been ill all summer and near death more that once. Only now does there seem to be some small improvements and maybe a light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a roller coaster and the medical industry isn't all that it is made up to be. If not for my sister's expertice as a nurse and my sister in-law's expertice as a nurse, he would be long dead of negligence and incompetence of some of the doctors, hospitals and nurses. They have lots of paperwork, but little communication and too many patients.

Think about some of the good times and remember a joke or a story that he used to tell and share that with someone else.

speedy
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I am sorry for your loss Paul. You are lucky to have had such a man to call Dad.
Celebrate the life of loved ones we were fortunate to know.

laddy
11-02-2006, 03:32 PM
God only takes the best, some of us will be here for a long time. He only takes them when He has the right place for them. Hope he is happy and comfortable.