PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Scale Output

Charles Ping
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know how to convert the sine output from a Mitutoyo AT linear scale to be compatible with a TTL DRO?
Looks like it's either very easy or very difficult - any suggestions?

Thanks

Charles

lazlo
11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know how to convert the sine output from a Mitutoyo AT linear scale to be compatible with a TTL DRO?
Looks like it's either very easy or very difficult - any suggestions?

It's relatively simple. Mitutoyo's SPC output uses standard TTL signal levels, but the protocol consists of a stream of 13 BCD digits with other special characters embedded in the stream to indicate data such as current sign (+/-), the location of the decimal point, and the units (inch/mm).

Here's a guy who did it with an 8051 microcontroller:
http://www.matronics.com/cncscale/

He has a Mitutoyo and Starrett SPI timing diagram here:
http://www.matronics.com/cncscale/DiagramRev2.pdf

I've been working sporadically on an AVR implementation, but I probably won't get back to it until Winter (when it's too cold to work in the shop ;) )

Charles Ping
11-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Lazlo but I think that you're refering to the Digimatic scales (as in the the calipers) aren't you whereas I'm refering to the Mitutoyo AT series glass scales.

Charles

lazlo
11-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks Lazlo but I think that you're refering to the Digimatic scales (as in the the calipers) aren't you whereas I'm refering to the Mitutoyo AT series glass scales.

Oh geez, you're absolutely right Charles -- sorry!

The Digimatic glass scales are probably going to need a conversion to conventional quadrature output -- another job for a microcontroller.

nheng
11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Charles, This Heidenhain document is about as good as it gets. It discusses interfaces in details and even gets down to specific recommendations such as interface ICs (differential amplifiers and other devices).

I've never seen much info on Mitutoyo internals. If you have the pinout, you may be able to check the signals with a 2 channel scope. If it provides a quadrature output with motion, you might have a fighting chance.

For 1 volt analog scales, Heidenhain lists a converter at the end of the .pdf and I think I've seen something like that from Mitutoyo.

Den

http://www.heidenhain.com/wcmsshow.php?filepath=wcmsmimefiles/208_961_24_16952.PDF&&mimetype=application/pdf&WCMSMimeFileUID=13930

Charles Ping
11-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Thanks Den

The Mitutoyo output is like this:
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/mitpic.jpg

Which isn't the same as Heidenhain but needs a little tweaking to be TTL

Charles

DROtechguy
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
.....or you could just use one of our adapters. :D
Part number 09AAA198 ($50 list) will get you A and B signals at .0005 resolution, the same as our earlier counters recieved from the "N" type scales.

If you want higher resolution use the PSU-200. You can divide the 20 micron signal 4, 8, 10, 20, 40, 80, 100, or 200 .
Part number 539-005. $386 list.

Charles Ping
11-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Part number 09AAA198 ($50 list) will get you A and B signals at .0005 resolution, the same as our earlier counters recieved from the "N" type scales.

Thanks - that would be just fine.
I'll send to a "private message". If you don't receive it then email me.

Regards

Charles

nheng
11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
DROtechguy, Welcome to the forum ! There are many DRO enthusiasts here and your presence (even occasionally) is appreciated. Does Mitutoyo have any technical literature online similar to the other brand I mentioned earlier? Den

Charles Ping
11-10-2006, 01:34 AM

Thanks. I'll go that way.

Isn't it just typical? The item costs $50 in the US. It costs £66 in the UK. That works out to $127 at the current exchange rate for exactly the same item. I somehow sense that I'm being ripped off since the item probably isn't made in either the UK or the US

Charles

John Stevenson
11-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Charles,
Isn't that what the QC100 board does on the Shumatech site ?
Convert glass scales to Chinese read out ?

If so Lester Caine has these in the UK already.

Charles Ping
11-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Charles,
Isn't that what the QC100 board does on the Shumatech site ?
Convert glass scales to Chinese read out ?

Not quite.
The QC100 converts TTL to "cheap chinese scale" protocol (which is a bit odd). That way you can plug TTL scales into a Shumatech DRO.
What I'm looking at is converting the sinewave from a Mitutoyo galss scale into a square wave for a TTL input.
I might give this a whirl before paying Mitutoyo UK a large wad:
http://www.redcircuits.com//Page17.htm

Worth a go. be about £60 cheaper if it works!

c

Timleech
11-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Charles (or anyone?)
Is there a way to uce Mitutoyo scales with the older Heidenhain type of counter?
I ask because I'd like to be able to use the third axis display on my mill, and those older Heidenhain scales never seem to turn up.

Tim

Charles Ping
11-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Charles (or anyone?)
Is there a way to uce Mitutoyo scales with the older Heidenhain type of counter?
I ask because I'd like to be able to use the third axis display on my mill, and those older Heidenhain scales never seem to turn up.

Tim

Beyond me Tim - but I'd be interested to know.

Charles

Charles Ping
03-24-2007, 11:20 AM

If you want higher resolution use the PSU-200. You can divide the 20 micron signal 4, 8, 10, 20, 40, 80, 100, or 200 .
Part number 539-005. $386 list.

Finally sorted it.
The part (09AAA198) that costs $50 in the US is a whopping $133 plus tax in the UK. For exactly the same part. Add to that the fact that Mitutoyo in the UK are hopeless and don't reply to anything I was getting a bit downheartened. Luckily I found one in the US via a really helpful vendor that arrived for $21 including postage.
I can confirm that it works fine with a Mitutoyo AT112 scale plugged into my Anilam Mini Wizard.

Regards

Charles

oblio1612
07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
hey Im in the same boat. I have mitutoyo at2 fn glass scale and need to have the sine wave convert into ttl. any help would be great. the 20 dollar thing that replaces the 09aaa thing would be great. thanks jb.

Charles P
07-08-2011, 11:47 AM
hey Im in the same boat. I have mitutoyo at2 fn glass scale and need to have the sine wave convert into ttl. any help would be great. the 20 dollar thing that replaces the 09aaa thing would be great. thanks jb.

It was a long time ago but the only solution I found was the correct Mitutoyo part. When I'd got that it worked fine.
I was lucky and found a second hand one in the US on Ebay. You need to keep looking and realise that most people selling one won't know what it's for!

Charles