PDA

View Full Version : Military style coffee

Dawai
11-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Sitting here having me a cup of military style coffee.. MY teacher, Jack, He was a Air force Nuclear missle technician as a kid. He got me started. I wish I could remember all he taught me.

Military coffee, you take the morning grounds, add another scoop and a fresh pot of water.. TOwards the end of the day, it is so thick you can stand a spoon in it.

He had the most amazing memory, He could recall wire colors from a machine I built in the eary 80s.. He has had a stroke, lost part of his brain. A honest guy who never fooled around of his wife. A good example for all us skirt chasers.

HURRAH for the US military and it's allies. Molding young boys into MEN. They had a effect on me, thou I never made it past the physical.

pcarpenter
11-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah....hurrah for these guys :D

I liked the response from some of the brass when questioned about this. It went something like "we tend to stay out of politics, but our guys in the field can be really resourceful" or something like that. Thanks go to the brass for giving these guys some elbow room in the face of having just been insulted.

Something like 98% of all enlisted men have a high school diploma. Something like 97% of all officers have college degrees....and then there is John Kerry who is educated beyond his intelligence.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/uploads/irak.jpg

Paul

Evan
11-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I like camp coffee. It's what I make when out on a trip in my canoe. Scoop a reasonable amount of coffee into a pot and then double it. Fill with water and boil for a while until you can't see the bottom of a spoon when you take a spoonful. Take it off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes for the grounds to settle and serve. Afterward throw the grounds you didn't drink out in a hole so you don't accidentally kill any wild animals. Prevents problems with parasites. Makes paddling easier. :D

motorworks
11-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Evan
I think I'll stick to Tim Hortan's!!

pcarpenter
11-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Evan-- my parents taught me a variation of that theme. You boil it for a few minutes and then drop a raw egg in. The thing instantly "grabs" the coffee grounds and turns into a toxic baseball:D You just dip that sucker out of there and you have coffee free of most of the grounds.

Paul

Alistair Hosie
11-02-2006, 05:20 PM
In Germany like the states most people drink coffee not tea as with us they use paper filters no need for eggs etc or am I missing something :D:DAlistair

pcarpenter
11-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Naww...that is how we make it here most of the time. Over the campfire, however, you usually don't have the luxury of an auto-drip coffee maker. You just throw ground coffee in a boiling pot of water and then hope you can pour it out while leaving the grounds in the bottom....thus the egg idea. Except for the yuppies, we Americans are a bit uncivilized when we camp;)

I won't say the egg adds no flavor because it does. Camp coffee is some of the best and I don't know how much of that comes from that egg dropped in at the last minute and how much is just because you haven't had any coffee in a while, but it is just somehow different....and good.

Paul

Tin Falcon
11-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Ahh the memories AKA "Lifer juice" spent 24 years in the reserves had a couple of Associates degrees when I left. When the coffee in the fabrication shop would hold the the spoon up by itself the machinists would call it welders coffee. We drank it though and I think we actualy liked it in spite of the of the complaints. A buddy of mine used to be a dentist in the navy. Said when the huge coffe pot was down to about 1/4 full and had been sitting for hours the chiefs would line up "That was the best part of the pot" they would say . John Kerry does not deserve to suck the coffee grounds of the fine men an women serving today. Too many educated fools in government.
Tin

Evan
11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Paul,

You can't afford to be wasting eggs that way when you have to carry everything on your back on the portages. The pain makes you real thrifty.

John R
11-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Back in the fifties I was on a small wood crew boat headed to a drill rig off the coast of Louisiana.It was before daylight and we needed coffee. The Capt. filled a galvanized bucket with Mississippi River water, poured in a one pound can of coffee and boiled it for some time. He poured it thru a food strainer into the cups. Man, talk about good.
John R

kc5ezc
11-02-2006, 06:33 PM
We pore dum Okies did not know to use the whole egg. We fried the egg (in bacon grease) and put the egg shells in the coffee pot to settle the grounds and ate the egg. Or made 'creek-bottom coffee' using the bucket from a well (with water) threw in the coffee, boiled, let it settle and drank it from the bucket. Really good when it is cold and you have been out hunting all night and are several miles from home. Of course the buckets were zinc coated so that is probably what is wrong with me.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

WORMgearster
11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I work with quit a few ex-military types. I have found that the 20 year non-commission guys can drink their coffee or just about anything they drink any way on any day. They have confirmed that in the field that the morning egg shells in the grounds is acceptable military standards to settle the double shot of coffee grounds needed for the proper strength that they require in their coffee.

Me... I like fresh.:D

cadwiz
11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd like to take time out from the topic at hand (although I do like strong coffee, especially working dogs, down in south La it's really thick) and say welcome back David Cofer. Haven't seen you actively post here in awhile.

Cadwiz (Clinton, La)

Al Messer
11-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey, David!! Welcome back! Campfire Coffee---Yeah--one of life's little pleasures--anyway it's cooked!!

Mcgyver
11-02-2006, 08:25 PM
can't stand tim hortons, or horny tims as we like to call it. tooo weak and watery. I can't find a decent commercial cup of coffee, Timothy's strong one comes close. sometimes. starbucks bold, put up with it cuz they're everywhere, still weaker than i'd like. my fav is fill the metal silver filter until it won't take anymore of fresh ground dark french roast, sometimes just expresso beans. yummy

and yeah, welcome back David, haven't seen you here much lately, hopefully you'll stick around

motorworks
11-02-2006, 08:36 PM
"can't stand tim hortons"

BLASPHEMY!
And I bet you don't read the Machinery Hand Book each nite before going to bed! :)

Go sharpen some drill bits as your penance.

I am off to bed.The line up stats early at Tim's around here!!
e
ps good to here from you dave. How's the mill working?

speedsport
11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
personally I prefer pantie tea.

Evan
11-02-2006, 09:28 PM
personally I prefer pantie tea.

You are in luck! You can buy used schoolgirl panties from vending machines in Japan. :rolleyes:

http://www.photomann.com/japan/machines/bizarrex.jpg

wierdscience
11-02-2006, 09:38 PM
This pretty good coffee,still not the best,but close.

http://www.communitycoffee.com/ccc/Catalog_CS/coffee-detail/2095/premium-coffee-blends/everyday-premium-coffees/new-orleans-blend%C2%AE-coffee-and-chicory/

speedsport
11-02-2006, 11:40 PM
anybody got any contacts in Japan?, you know in Japan it runs horizontal don't you?

rsr911
11-03-2006, 01:41 AM
I was out hiking about a year or two ago with my young daughter when it started to pour rain. We ran to a pavillion and since she was cold I gathered what I could and got a fire going. A short while later two men of middle eastern desent stopped into the pavillion and asked if they could use our fire to make some coffee. I obliged and was quite surprised by the taste. In there small backpack they had a small pot, coffee beans, a hand grinder, sugar and some small cups. They filled the pan with water, fresh ground coffee, and sugar then set it to boil. When it was done they sprinkled cold water on top to settle the grounds and graciously produced cups for my frezzing daughter and I (we were soaking wet and so where they). The explained they where Turkish and this is how they made their coffee. I don't actually know if it was real Turkish coffee but it sure did taste good as well as warm us up enough to get back to my truck. I've tried this at home several times since but can't seem to reproduce that "campfire coffee".

Our troops? Simply the finest men and women in the world today. One can only hope that the "smart" people in power could learn to put aside politics and pick up even an ounce of the patriotism that these troops have. My country may not be perfect but it's still mine and I'm proud to be an American. Most wars are won and lost on the home front IMO.

Mike Burdick
11-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Our troops? Simply the finest men and women in the world today. One can only hope that the "smart" people in power could learn to put aside politics and pick up even an ounce of the patriotism that these troops have. My country may not be perfect but it's still mine and I'm proud to be an American. Most wars are won and lost on the home front IMO.

I can't answer your question about coffee but your statement regarding our troops is right on. Thanks for posting it!

pcarpenter
11-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I have worked with a fellow for years here who spent some time in Turkey in the Army. He spoke of Turkish coffee and said it was "thick". My guess is that it was the sugar??

Paul

tonydacrow
11-03-2006, 10:53 AM
My recollection is that Turkish coffee is thick because you very finely grind the beans and it remains in the coffee.

Guido
11-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Best remembrances of Louisiana travels in younger days long gone:

1) Listening to WWL broadcasting from the Roosevelt Hotel, midnight to 2AM.

2) Taking in the FQ over Easter Break and bringng home a can or two of Steamship to drink while studying for finals in the spring.

3) Relegated to a wooden crew boat for an all night trip from Grand Isle to one of Exxon's platforms in the Gulf. Coonass skipper spoke only French.

4) Hitchhiking through the state, an older, black couple picked us up in a 1950's Chevy sedan, with the back half of the roof cut off making for a pickup type of ride. The lady had a shoebox full of fried chicken, which she shared with us, the best fried chicken I've ever had. Just toss the bones over the side----------

And on and on------G

Ed Tipton
11-03-2006, 09:39 PM
I was stationed in Turkey for 15 months. I can assure you that there is nothing in Turkey that I would ever go back there for, including their thick, gritty coffee. As far as military coffee went, Our NCOIC had three coffee cups that he would rotate each day. On Thursday, he would start with the cup from Monday. That cup, by then, had about a half inch of coffee remaining in it and about three or four half inch circles of mold floating in it. The cups were never emptied or washed...they just kept fermenting. It's something of an "acquired" taste.;)

Mcostello
11-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Hay Speedsport, Here in America it just runs EXPENSIVE!

Locksmith
11-04-2006, 03:55 PM
"They say Marine Corps
Coffee's mighty fine
looks like muddy water
tastes like turpentine

"They say Marine Corps
chickens mighty fine
One jumped on the table
and started marking time.

"They say Marine Corps
biscuits mighty fine