X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeereGuy
    • Dec 2003

Gear cutter arbor finished

Thought I would share what I ended up with for a arbor. After much thought and input from everyone (thank you all for the input) I decided not to go with the tapored arbor. This one is designed to use between centers on my dividing head and tail stock. The drawing didn't show what I was going to use to drive it because I wasn't real sure what I wanted to do last night when I drew it up. Today after mounting it between centers and looking at how much room I had I knew I was going to have to come up with something compact yet would hold well. Soooooo....after much going back and forth I decided to weld a premanent dog to the arbor. Worked out great and I have plenty of room for the cutter to clear. This arbor is for a gear with a 1/2" bore. Later I will make on for a 3/8ths.

Thanks again everyone for the input and sorry about the not so great pictures. Phone cam has a hard time if there isn't alot of light.

Last edited by DeereGuy; 11-05-2006, 12:27 PM.
    Bob
    Pics of shop and some projects
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39...achine%20Shop/
  • billyboy
    • Jan 2005

good job old chap!! i'll send you an order for a full set of harrison gears.

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

Interesting solution. I was wondering how you were going to do that. I assume you checked the runout of the arbor after welding. Did it introduce any measurable runout to weld it?
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• DeereGuy
        • Dec 2003

Evan, yes I did and it is still unmeasurable with my indicators. The parts were turned in my 5C collet chuck. I took almost an hour just to do the fit up. Lots of careful grinding on the end to contour for the od of the arbor. I had the mig turned down low and took my time. Just a spot at a time. I must have done ok with getting it welded square because when I tighten the two bolts to the leg it doesn't pull the far end off of center. I can just crank the tail stock into the pilot hole.

I am getting ready to turn my first gear with the cutter out of 1.4" aluminum. According to Marv Klotz's gearspur program it should come out to 26 teeth just fine. We will see soon. I will post back results with pictures when I am done. Later this afternoon I hope...
        Bob

Comment

• DeereGuy
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by billyboy

Thanks billboy, but I won't do you much good with just my single cutter...
          Bob

Comment

• DeereGuy
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by billyboy
            billyboy, just seen your post on the tool grinder....great job and I liked your site.

Tell ya what. You sharpen my dull end mills and other cutters I have and I will make a few of those gears for you..)))...

I have had my Mill and Lathe 3 years now and just now getting time to use them. I finally have the shop close to what I want and the log home finish is about done.

Here's a link to some pics of stuff I have done.
            Bob

Comment

Working...
            X