PDA

View Full Version : Home shop uses for these?

sidegrinder
11-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I came across these while scrounging around. They are about 4.75" od/2.5"id and are the self aligning type. I was thinking of maybe pressing some type of cathead into one and making a base for a steadyrest out of it. Would need to come up with some type of shielding also. I am wondering if the self-aligning feature would be a hindrance because of lack of rigidity compared to a normal bearing or steady? It would still support the tail end well enough, but would it be apt to "swivel" against cutting pressure on that end? Any thoughts? Any other uses jump out at anyone? Sidegrinder.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/bearings.jpg

Your Old Dog
11-05-2006, 02:08 PM
don't know about you but it never fails to smoke by butt to have something really neat that I can't find a use for :D

Evan
11-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Not only that YOD, but when I finally do find a use for them it always seems that I really need one more than I have.

Those are really cool bearings. Planning on building a helicopter in the near future?

TGarey
11-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Don't know about the whole bearing, but the races (inner and outer) make great parrelles.

barts
11-05-2006, 09:30 PM
They'd make nice bearings for really heavy duty rollers if you like making
large round things...

- Bart

Ian B
11-05-2006, 11:34 PM
As well as the rings, the individual rollers make very handy spacers to put under work on the milling or drilling table to keep the work away from the table. Just don't run your favourite cutter into them, though!

Ian

mauserbull
11-06-2006, 07:57 PM
belt sander slave wheel, band saw verticle, overhead run for a heavy duty winch, horizontal mill would be real nice, good luck I wish I had em.

BillH
11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I wish I had some laying around, just because!

Ken_Shea
11-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Well sidegrinder, if you are having trouble finding a use, I will be having double the trouble with 5 of the same thing only over 7" OD x 2 3/8ID and about 16 pounds each :D

These are extremely expensive bearings, I believe I had traced these to costing over a grand per bearing but that was some time ago and so not absolutely sure on that. It would be interesting to know what the application. Unfortionatly, worth little more then what scrap goes for unless one could find someone needing them.

chardy
11-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I have some big D-2 tool steel rollers,of which ;a couple I want to adapt to my english wheel.The bearings pictured,stirred my old creative juices. I want to mount the big rollers on the bottom of ewheel and smaller on top side.I am firstly an artist and almost allways do things obliquily,if not reversely.So might the men bearing;bearings be interested in selling some of their booty(reasonalbly of course) as I am a poor starving artist. **** Stack-Hillsdale Mi.

Elninio
11-08-2006, 11:46 PM
make urself a cnc lathe with those

Alistair Hosie
11-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Nothing is ever broken beyond repair its just a question of money:DStrange but trueAlistair

sidegrinder
11-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Check your PM's chardy.

Your Old Dog
11-09-2006, 04:33 PM
thanks for bringing up the subject sidegrinder! I had to go into a bearing dealer and I asked him I was looking for four matching thrown away bearings and told him I wanted them for my mill. He came thru with 4 that will work great as spacers when I Dremel away what I don't need on them. I thank you and I'm sure my mill table would thank you at some point in the future :D

vmil3
11-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Maybe get their cataloge for some ideas!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/vmil3/Sphericalrollerbearings.jpg

Elninio
11-13-2006, 12:21 AM
this might be a stupid question, but does the space shuttle use major sized bearings? lol..