PDA

View Full Version : Removing mill head??

Ron Horton
11-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Greetings to all-- A question if I may-- I bought a Grizzly mill which weighs about 700 lbs, and it's sitting in my garage-- It needs to go into my shop in the back yard-- This weight is more than I can pick up, so I'm wondering if I can remove the head from the column to lighten the load, without causing a problem-- The column is round, and the mill needs to be dialed in before I use it anyway-- Comments, suggestions?? Thanks again for all of your help--
Best regards, Ron

On the other hand, we have, the other hand--

TECHSHOP
11-06-2006, 11:37 PM
If it is a mill/drill type of tool then it should lift off "easy". If it is a G3102/3103 type it won't be too difficult. In both cases be aware that the "balance" of the head, you don't need that landing on you some where. If you have a "more" complicated machine, make sure you have "disconnected" all the "attachments" between the base and the head.

Tinkerer
11-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Yep I did it. I bolted a piece of wood to protect the table then placed blocking under the head lowed it and then removed the pivot bolts and used the table to move it forward. The head weighs about 150lb so take care. I removed the table ect. and used and dolly to move the base. Just reverse the process to assemble. If you look here you'll get a good idea of what it took. Mill set up (http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=20217).

Ron Horton
11-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi Techshop-- Thanks for the reply-- It's a G1007, and I can't see any other connections-- BUT!! I am new at this, and last week I could not even spell mill-- I think it would be much safer to remove the head as it's so top-heavy-- You are right on the money, that I don't want any part of that thing in my lap-- Best Regards, Ron

On the other hand, we have, the other hand--

Ron Horton
11-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey Tinkerer-- Thanks for the info-- I built a gallows frame out of 4 inch square steel tubing so it will straddle the mill--I plan to pick up the mill with a come-along, and place it into a HD wagon, then reverse the action when it's in the shop-- I called Grizzly and asked them about lifting the whole works by the head-- Their answer was a resounding NO!-- I thought lifting 2 pieces would be safer and easier than trying to rig under the bottom for a single lift--
Best regards, Ron

Your Old Dog
11-07-2006, 05:31 AM
I have a Rung Foo mill/drill at 650 pounds. I bought a 'engine lifter" from harbor freight to deal with mine. The engine lifer has found a lot of use on the property as I have no one to help me with projects and I can lift damn near anything with mine. It was the best two hundred bucks I've spent for my needs.

You might try a block and tackle to a tree branch just to get it off the truck and onto something else. In my case, when I brought my mill home it was on one of those 4x6 utility trailers that sits about 1foot off the ground. I pulled the trailer in the barn door, rolled the engine lift under it, raised the mill and then wheeled it thru the door and put in position. My engine lift folds up so it only takes up about 1ft by 5ft of floor space along the wall.

I didn't have to remove the head to move mine around. The balance was such that it put all of the weight on the head AT where it meets the column so the head was not stressed at all. Once I had it raised with the lift I placed some 2x6's across the legs of the lift and then set it down on there so it wouldn't upset the lift if I hit a small piece of gravel or crater in the floor while pushing it into position. My lift has steel wheels.

Mine is similar to this one but the two long arms on the floor are hinged to fold up for storage
http://montreal.craigslist.org/tls/228129635.html

A.K. Boomer
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I do what tinker does and use my mill table as a lift, one could use muti-layers of stout plywood bolted to the table, build the plywood progressivly higher with holes in it deep enough to fit the fully extended quill in the locked position and walla --- just a thought, right now i just set it on wood and try to be carful...

John R
11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
We had same problem with an Enco mill/drill. We cranked the head all the way up, removed the motor and the top cap, then had two men lift off the head. the rack came off with it. When putting back together you have to be carefull about meshing the rack with the cranking gear when you slide the head and rack onto the column. It went smoothly for us. Good luck
John R