PDA

View Full Version : Something rung with my Wrong Foo Mill/Drill?

Your Old Dog
11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Was going along fat, dumb and happy and getting stuff done. I needed to run the fly cutter, put the machine in it's lowest gear, flipped the switch and popped the fuse panel. Shifted gears, turned it all by hand and went back to L-1 Slowest speed and the same thing happened. Now the L side of the trany works with the 2,3 speeds. In fact all combinations work except L-1, the slowest speed. Any ideas what I might try. I'm gun-shy about pulling the top off and having a bunch of gears flopping around that I can't get back where they belong.

Anybody had the top off? Is it difficult to put back on once you've had a look?

ray.......

A.K. Boomer
11-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Just right off --- to diagnose that something isnt stuck (or missing a tooth) in your gears try low but rotate the machine by hand in reverse? I put a question mark there because i dont know the layout and it may not help with feed aplications?

Your Old Dog
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks Boomer. Well in the low range it's very hard to turn even on a good day but I'll try getting a wrench of some sort on it to see if it will turn. My damn dovetail cutter has come and I can't do nothing becuase I need the slowest speed......aarrgh !

CCWKen
11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I told you so!

:D

That'll teach ya to loosen bolts.

GKman
11-07-2006, 08:44 PM
The switch on mine screwed up somehow and was tripping the breaker on startup intermittently. It felt like the switch knob slipped on the shaft and was turning the guts of the switch too far and shorting something to ground. Messed around with it an it has worked ok since. Are you sure it is gear dependant?

QSIMDO
11-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Dog, a fella's got the top off one (well, the same head anyway) over here but you have to register to see the pic's. I don't think I can strip them out of there to post.
Doesn't look so bad in there if you've got any kind of tranny experience.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26850&page=2

motorworks
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
"Something rung with my Wrong Foo Mill/Drill"

You don't like you chinese food combo # 3 ? :D

Your Old Dog
11-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Doesn't look so bad in there if you've got any kind of tranny experience.

I just blew half a cup of coffee out my nose :D :D

Least you think I ain't grateful, thanks for the tip.....and the chuckle.

I did try the pics but it wouldn't let me open them. I'll try to register and see how long it takes to get approval.

Your Old Dog
11-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks Qsimdo, I got in and downloaded all the pics. I may wrap my slr in a plastic bag and photograph the devil out of it as I pull it down. It don't look like a good time :D

DICKEYBIRD
11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Just curious Mr. Dog, which R/F mill do you have?

BillH
11-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Ah hell, just rip all the guts out and place em all over, think of it as a jigsaw puzzle, if you succeed, you will know your machine far better than most. Failure is not an option, life is a game, have fun, challenge yourself :)

Carld
11-07-2006, 11:25 PM
You will get a better finish with a flycutter if you run it at about 1000 rpm with a moderate feed. I feed by hand so it is by feel only. If you run it slow the finish looks sloppy like it was done with an end mill. Grind an angle on the leading edge of the cutter so it cuts about a 45deg angle on the work. That way it won't hammer while cutting. I have cut .050" deep with a fast feed rate and get a nice finish. My finish cuts are usually .005" or .010" though and leave a nice smooth finish.

You better pop the top off and have a look see.