PDA

View Full Version : My dog is ill

Alistair Hosie
11-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Over the last few weeks my dog takes a funny turn goes wobbly then seems as if he's having a fit of sorts.The trouble is it only lasts a few minutes then he is fine .He looks worried by it but then he's fine so anyway what could it be if it was his heart then it would last for longer.Alistair

Allan Waterfall
11-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Alistair,

Take him to the vets and get him checked out,might be just old age or the start of something a bit more serious.

Allan

Evan
11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Epilepsy is just as common in dogs as in people. It can be treated with phenobarbital and is cheap and effective. The dogs like it. :D

My beardog has epilepsy and phenobarb has the effect of making her a bit more mellow which is a good thing. If we are late in giving her a dose she will come into the living room and start to turn and stare at her tail. If we don't pay attention she will start snapping at it. If we still ignore her she will start whirling in a circle while snapping at her tail.

I am pretty sure she is trying to tell us she wants her drugs and she wants them NOW. She is making the point that if she doesn't get her drugs now bad things might happen.

Your description sounds like a petite mal siezure which is the most common type.

sidegrinder
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
My dog has been epileptic since a pup. The first couple of times it happened were pretty wild! A veternarian could prescribe something (phenolbarbitol?) if its a good size dog--otherwise its tough to split the pill small enough for a consistent/proper dosage. Might be something to check out...

jportale
11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
My dog has siezures also. He is a Border Collie, Healer, Blue Tick Hound mix. My vet said it is commion for high energy dogs. e would watch him goofing around in the yard or house, then it was like he would just short ciruit. The vet had us put him on phenolbarbatol. He got fat because of the drugs and was given a new nickname: The Round Hound; but no more siezures.

Good luck.

Norman Atkinson
11-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Alistair,
Five months ago I had to say Goodbye to my 15 year old Border Terrier. Having said that should convince you that you have a duty to your pet to give it the devotion that it has given to you. As Allan- and I would expect many others will confirm- get the poor wee thing to the vet as quickly as possible.

You may be luckier than me.
I hope that you are

Norm

BillH
11-07-2006, 03:07 PM
I lived down here in Naples for 6 months back in 1999 and the neighbors dog hated my guts, just a black lab, didn't like me, don't know why. Well this year, being down here again, the neighbors dog comes over, she is now much older and grey. She walks up to me and looks at me like she recognizes me but cant seam to remember who I am, and she just walks away. The next day she looks at me and starts to bark, she remembered me now. Well Im tired of this crap, this racist dog who does not like me for no apparent reason, so I decided that I will give her some food to show good will that Im not this evil person she thinks I am.
Well I hold out some food for her and she looks at me in disbelief, barking, not sure what to make of it. Bottom line is that she wouldn't come near me, so I placed the bowl on the ground and went inside. She never ate the food.
And you know what? She hasn't been around since, havent heard her barking. We all think she died. Perhaps my good will gave her such a shock it gave her a heart attack and keeled over. Am I an evil person for thinking this is funny?

Evan
11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I would be quite pissed at anyone that tried to give my dog food without my permission. They are taught to ignore anything that they haven't been explicitly given by us. This especially applies to anything found outside.

BillH
11-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I would be quite pissed at anyone that tried to give my dog food without my permission. They are taught to ignore anything that they haven't been explicitly given by us. This especially applies to anything found outside.
Can't blame you, the neighbors are well aware of it and my uncle been doing it forever. He is a tree hugger.

Alistair Hosie
11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Taking the dog to the vet ( my neighbour)is not a problem as he is insured fully for all meds ops etc etc etc but if I take hime when he is ok what will that prove unless a blood test will show up anything Alistair

Your Old Dog
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Your description sounds like a petite mal siezure which is the most common type.

I was having upper lip quiver for some time. Googled upper lip quiver and came across an article about how artifical sweetners can cause this. I had just started using artifical sweetners when doctors told me I was glucose intolerant (diabetic). I stopped the artificial sweetners and the lip quiver quit after about a week.

Any chance you're giving your dog sweetners at all? Hope your pup is feeling well soon, I know what they can come to mean to some of us. My moniker, your old dog is homage to the best friend I ever had, a big black lab named Phreddy.

Alistair Hosie
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
He usually eats what we cook so if we cook chicken he gets a leg with his biscuits etc and if we cook beef he gets that with his filler stuff. He does pretty good I am not great lover of tinned food for dogs you never know what they put in it.no sweeteners at all although I take them in my tea.he's a smasher largest king charles I ever sawhere he is when I was building my woodshop Alistair

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/tybachdai/new%20shop%20extension/extension_approaching_completion_003.jpg

Evan
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
How often does the animal have these fits Alistair?

aboard_epsilon
11-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Is he still pulling so hard on his lead,that it leads him to almost cut his head off.

That cant be any good for him ...probably cutting the blood supply to his head ....god only knows what damage this has done to him over the period of his life .

All the best..mark

heidad01
11-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Take him to the Vet Alistair. It might be a heart problem if he has not had similar symptoms in the past. They say any condition that does not go away after a few days need to be checked by a doctor.
DavidH.

WORMgearster
11-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I would agree that "Fido" needs to go the vet. There are several conditions that could manifest themselves with a seizure. Epilepsy, brain tumor, head trauma certain poisons and even over exposure to carbon dioxide from heaters or car exhaust warming up in the garage. If Fido is mans best friend than a quit trip to the vet and a several hundred dollar vet bill may be a small price to pay.

Good luck!

John Stevenson
11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
You don't ask the vet how to square up work in a four jaw so why are you asking us what's wrong with your dawg.

Take the damn thing down there you tight fisted old scrooge.

Eichmann sure missed you..................................

speedy
11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey Alistair if your mate is crook then don`t bugger about; get him to the vet ASAP.
I am not a vet, you are not a vet. See a vet.
I do hope that it is treatable. Good luck.

wierdscience
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Does the dog ever go swimming,or get wet from dew in the grass or such?

And do the fits coincide with him getting wet?

Does he wear a flea collar?

topct
11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
It's one of those viscous spaniels. They are not to be trusted. They have been known to sleep with cats.

Stop feeding him the biscuits and get him a very expensive parrot to have as a friend and he will be cured.

Carld
11-07-2006, 11:37 PM
A friend of mine's dog did that and he found the dog is diabetic.

jr45acp
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
My wife and I had a Golden Retriver that had similar symtoms, the Vet said it was ascending/descending neuritis, as I recall. The end result, unfortunately, was the dog had to be put down. We both cried like babies for days. Admittedly we are dog lovers, replaced the Retriver with a Rottie and lost him to bone cancer, replaced him with another Rottie, who will soon be three years old. God, how I hate to have to put any animal down.

lenord
11-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Alistair,

Open the wallet and take the dog to the vet !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lenord

Norman Atkinson
11-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Alistair,
I have just spent the morning in hospital. First, someone was making my eyes water with a firmly inserted finger. Then, I spent some hours with on an X Ray machine with a dye tracing its way through my various bits of plumbing. Then, I got an ultra scan and finally, I got a camera and fluid up my
loose tackle to see where a gorgeous half Chinese, half Scots lassie had had her Black and Decker some three years ago!

As I lay there, I thought of your little friend who can't explain its difficulties.
I hoped that it was getting the same level of care as me.
Whilst I guess that your other friends were sharing my thoughts about your dog, I am glad that they were not being reminded in the same way!

Good Luck to you both!

Norm

ProGunOne
11-08-2006, 11:52 AM
You don't ask the vet how to square up work in a four jaw so why are you asking us what's wrong with your dawg.
Take the damn thing down there you tight fisted old scrooge.

:D :D Haa, Haa

Tin Falcon
11-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Alistair:
maybe this village press forum would be of more help than this one

http://bbs.pointingdogjournal.com/ubbs/Ultimate.cgi

Regards
Tin

Evan
11-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Did you take him to the vet yet?

A man runs into the vet's office carrying his dog, screaming for help. The vet rushes him back to an examination room and has him put his dog down on the examination table. The vet examines the still, limp body and after a few moments tells the man that his dog, regrettably, is dead. The man is clearly agitated and not willing to accept this, and demands a second opinion. The vet goes into the back room and comes out with a cat, and puts the cat down next to the dog's body. The cat sniffs the body, walks from head to tail poking and sniffing the dog's body and finally looks at the vet and meows.
The vet looks at the man and says, "I'm sorry, but the cat thinks that your dog is dead, too."
The man is still unwilling to accept that his dog is dead. The vet brings in a Black Labrador. The Lab sniffs the body, walks from head to tail, and finally looks at the vet and barks.
The vet looks at the man and says, "I'm sorry, but the lab thinks your dog is dead, too."
The man, finally resigned to the diagnosis, thanks the vet and asks how much he owes.
The vet answers, "$550."
"$550 to tell me my dog is dead?" exclaimed the man!
"Well," the vet replies, "I would only have charged you $50 for my initial diagnosis. The additional $500 was for the cat scan and lab tests."

Alistair Hosie
11-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Listen first off Evan the dog only started this over the past few days.As far as money goes the dog has the most expensive insurance you can buy so it will cost me nothing. As I have already stated to take the dog to vet and treatment till the end of his days is also covered. I made an appointment to take him but it has nothing to do with money so get that out of your heads and also it has a mid waist collar so mark nothing to do with collar which millions of dogs have.Thanks so far but I dont think it's his heart as these fits only last a few minutes hes had about 3 of them so far, so I figure if it was his heart it might last longer than the 2 minutes the are currently lasting.It seems to be when he sits down or should I say lies down for a while he goes to get up and is a bit wobbly on his feet and I thought at first it might be hip trouble anyway I will let you know what the vet says thanks guys Alistair

japcas
11-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Alistair, if you are worried about the vet not understanding what you are trying to explain to him, video the dog when these fits start so you can actually show the vet what is happening. That would help a lot more than any explanation could.

Evan
11-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Excellent idea.

aboard_epsilon
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Sounds like an inner ear infection to me .

Did not notice that so-called special collar when he took me for walks :)

So that's how you stopped him pulling his head off ...good solution :)

Hope he gets well soon.

I see you're biting like your dog doesn't :)

"referring to yee old scotts money jokes."

all the best...mark

John Stevenson
11-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks so far but I dont think it's his heart as these fits only last a few minutes hes had about 3 of them so far, Alistair

Are these tight fits, bearing fits or press fits.

If it's a tight fit cut 2" off his bootee's
If it's a bearing fit get him as compass and if it's a press fit what weight can he bench ?

Allan Waterfall
11-08-2006, 06:02 PM
I might have missed it,but how old is the dog ?

Allan

aboard_epsilon
11-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Sir John, Earl of Sudspumpwater,

Talking suds ...my friend Alwyn who runs an enginnering business, has been made to buy an incubator to monitor the condition of his suds.

he has to grow cultures from sud samples in the incubator ...and then compare the results with a chart .

he says every business will be made to do this that uses suds.

All the best.mark

Alistair Hosie
11-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Allen the dog is7 1/2 years old and normally as fit as a flea/The special dog harness was bought because Bronwens athritis is getting worse and she was Using this device able to get him to virually stop pulling.Which was a problem for sir Johan when he was a boy:D:DAlistair

Allan Waterfall
11-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Well in that case you'd better get that dog insurance and make a claim,because from what I remember the pet insurance companies don't want to know when a dog gets to eight years old.At least it was like that last time I looked at a policy.

Allan

Alistair Hosie
11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Allan you could be correct brother. Still they never were slow when it come to taking my money over the years. I have never claimed before but I do love my dog and he is crazy about Bron and me, so money is no object either way.I was very saddened when he eventually stopped shaking and came to me for reassurance the kept insisting I cuddled him for about ten minutes justy like our children they get frightenend and need our love he's really a beautiful dog.Alistair

speedy
11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Dog insurance???

Alistair,
I have just spent the morning in hospital. First, someone was making my eyes water with a firmly inserted finger. I hoped that it was getting the same level of care as me. Good Luck to you both!Norm

Alistair. Don`t do this to your dog yourself, see the vet.
Seriously, don`t wait about.It may be something or nothing but you cannot be sure.
Shaitan, our old cat had bad breath. I thought "She`ll be right mate, give it a few days and if it hasn`t cleared up we`ll see the vet". By the time that I had rattled my dags the cat had renal failure. A few hundred dollars of emotional blackmail by the vet later and Shaitan was dead. We gave her a burial ceremony then stuffed her down a post hole in the back yard.
We could have purchased a few pedigree cats for the money but she was family. And our pets are; aren`t they?

BillH
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
7.5 is pretty old for a dog. My cat was 19 years old when we had to put her down. Not fun, very sad, always is.

Alistair Hosie
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Don't do what to my dog????????Alistair ps please read the posts I have an appointment

speedy
11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Don't do what to my dog????????Alistair ps please read the posts I have an appointment

"someone was making my eyes water with a firmly inserted finger"
Just my sense of humour Alistair.

Norman Atkinson
11-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Oh, bugger!
That's what I get from being polite!
I was actually doing the Billy Connolly reference to his regular rectum
( damned near killed 'em) medical examination. Well, I could have used uphill gardening but you lot are sooooooooo polite. Ican only hope that the bloke cleaned his finger nails afterwards( Indian Joke about toilet paper with hole in).

There was I standing in the middle of the changing room trying to get my arthritic bones to replace the rear opening front but not rear draught excluder after- they had had their way with me! Well, a nurse said- " would you mind getting changed in cubicle" to which I pulled myself up to my full 6 foot odd and replied " Is there something which you lot have not waved, tugged and had something inserted" Somebody had a Box Brownie( Oops) up my miniscule front end. Well, it felt like it! To cap it all, someone comic said that I may find blood in my urine. For those who may have missed the first edition, blood in my urine was why I was in hospital!!!!!!!

I know, I know that I am confused- but I don't expect to be paid for it.

Where was I? Oh, yes, I promised a ghost story.
Excuse me but I can't sit for very long.
Bye

Norm

speedy
11-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Norm, I hope that you are on the mend. You should be more concerned that he had cleaned his finger/s beforehand.
Oh well, carry on.

mike petree
11-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Our Cocker Spaniel had similar symptoms but more severe than what you describe. Turns out he had canine vestibular disease. Sort of an inner ear
type of disorder. Took some time to recover but he came through it and was
back to his old self. Best wishes for your pup.
Mike

BillH
11-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Alistair, I wish your dog a quick recovery. And the neighbors dog came by earlier today so my good will towards her didn't give her a brain aneurism after all.