PDA

View Full Version : Little project

Tin Falcon
11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Well Guys:
Most of us have a list of projects longer than our arm . This is one I have been thinking about doing for months. Well knocked it out this evening. They say there is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness. May have crosses the line. But remember no need to suffer from mental illness enjoy it!!! LOL
Anyway the project. A few years ago I bought a digital caliper from the Grizzly yard sale. It has been working fine except the little plastic part that holds the wheel to move the caliper head broke and the little wheel fell off. So have been wanting to make one from aluminum. There was a little more shape to it than I realised. Felt like more steps than the Philadelphia Museum of art. So here is the photo with the sketch the old part the new part the wheel and a dime for size reference.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/Tin_Falcon/Wheelcatch.jpg

Regards
Tin Falcon

Carld
11-07-2006, 10:38 PM
nice job. Makes a person feel good when they tackle something like that and succed don't it.

Mike Burdick
11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Wow! Making a little part like that isn't easy at all. Good job!

lugnut
11-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Great job! It’s little projects like yours, that makes the time, money and effort as a home shop machinist all worth it! It really make one feel good to be able to replace or repair something like your project.
Great job and thanks for sharing it with us
Mel

outback
11-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Darn, I wish you would have made extras, I'm in need of the same exact parts. Only yours are better than the originals.
Jim

sidegrinder
11-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Now every time you use it you'll get a little dose of self-satisfaction...Can't beat that!

Tin Falcon
11-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Guys:
This was a fun little project. I was thinking it might be a good idea to make an extra. I have several of those types of calipers around. Thanks for all the kudos. Most of the work was done on the mill I tryed to do as much as I could before I cut the part off the parent metal. I cut it out with a regular woodworking style power scroll saw also a little filing and sanding w/400 grit.A jewelers saw would also work. Here is a photo of it in the mill. I was pilot drilling for the mounting hole. I ended up just using the regular vise to hold the part. I do have a little 1" insert vise that I figured I would use but did not need it.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/Tin_Falcon/wheelcatchsetup.jpg

Outback: Maybe this will inspire you to try one.
Regards
Tin Falcon

A.K. Boomer
11-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Better than new, good work...

Evan
11-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Nice little piece. If I had to make that it is probably the sort of thing that I would do entirely with files except for the hole. Just bring upstairs a stick of metal and a few files and whittle away on it while sitting in my easy chair with a paper towel in my lap. Kinda like basket weaving.

Your Old Dog
11-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Cool ! Now I know where to send my instrument work :D Nice job.

Tin Falcon
11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Evan: the original plan was to trace the old part cut out with the jewelers saw and finish with files. But when I actualy had the old part out I realised there was more shape to it than met the eye. That is when I opted to start with the mill. I pickup up a rebuilt delta scroll saw at one of the travling tool sales and that is still on the bench next to the mill so made scence to use that as well. The original plan should have also worked though.
Tin

JimDobson
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Great job!

Evan
11-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Speaking of files I scored a minor tool win yesterday. We have a surplus store in town that sells the usual array of camping stuff and cheap chinese imports. He also gets in unpredictable stuff that he buys from closeouts etc. I was poking around the tools and noticed a rack full of Nicholson Black Diamond files, made in USA. I picked up half a dozen different ten and eight inch files including mill, mill bastard, half round, general purpose and a 4-in-hand plus a couple of six inch for $16.00 for all of them. :)

Tin Falcon
11-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Evan:
good score. I found a set of nicholson swis pattern files at the flea market yesterday. Also a handful of 3c collets and several starrett drill and wire gages.
Tin

texas_po_boy
11-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I wish I could see it. No URL oh well my bad.