PDA

View Full Version : OT Laptop and Defrag

aboard_epsilon
11-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Got a laptop off ebay it's a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT

It's running windows 98 (no windows 98 disk) has 80 MB of mem and 2.5 gig hard drive...166 MHz

I bought it just to run one prog ...to map the LPG in my car.

not put the prog on yet.

The laptop Runs great ...quite fast for what it is ..
does not stall stutter/freeze or slow down...and generally performs very well.

That's until I came to defragment it ...
it says that it has to fix errors before deframenting.

Last time I let a computer do this...(xp with ckeck disk ) it deleted files that were needed to run windows and it would not start again ..and it was unfixable ...and I ended up reformatting ....and a 155 gig hard drive became a 122 gig hard drive !!

Any idea what windows 98 does when fixing errors ..

Should I forget about this ...error fixing .....not do it ..or the defrag....because I don't have the win98 disc... if it goes wrong.

Will i possibley risk buggering up such a small hard-drive ...they are probably unobtainable and expensive for this comp....laptop remember ...

All the best..mark

BillH
11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
laptops use small 2.5" ide hard drives, they are easilly obtainable. I'd be more concerned about the bios not liking a new 30gb drive. Fix the errors, if you lose any files, reinstall win98. Win98 is easily obtainable if you know the right people. I wont say more about that, hehe.
If that HD is creating errors, it needs to go anyhow.

Al Messer
11-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I've got a Dell desktop model that runs on Windows 98 and I do not have the faintest idea as to what it "fixes" when I De-frag except that it took over three or fours hours to run the program the last time I did it. Plus, I think that it still has some sort of a glitch in it as the Mouse "pointer" is constantly "hanging up" and won't move until I have heard some sort of "action" going on in the CPU, and it is slow as Christmas when going from one screen to another. Maybe Santy Claws needs to bring me a new one??

Allan Waterfall
11-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I've been using Disk Keeper for the last three weeks and it seems very good.It defragments all the time the PC is on,it works in the background and I've not noticed any detriment to my PC use.

I've got quite a bit more disk space now than I had three weeks ago.
http://diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

My disk was so fragmented the windows defragmenter wouldn't run,possibly because there wasn't enough free space,I don't really know.

Allan

ligito
11-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Be careful with the Toshiba. They use some proprietary stuff that can get screwed up easily (BIOSES and such)

I messed up my Toshiba Tecra by eliminating a profane name that was used for the hard drive, that was put there by the seller.

I deleted it it with Regedit and it was extremely slow after that.
I even paid a local PC company to reinstall Windows and my software, to no avail.

It has never worked right, since.

Evan
11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Any idea what windows 98 does when fixing errors ..

Well, Microsoft's idea of fixing errors is like curing a bunion by amputation. If a file is found with an error in the checksum of a file the file will be deleted. Unfortunately, you can't change how Windows deals with errors. As long as errors exist in the file system they have the potential to cause even more errors so you must let scandisk do it's thing and then defragment. It probably won't kill the system but the potential does exist. Many of the errors that are possible will not result in a dead machine so I wouldn't worry too much.

aboard_epsilon
11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
I will just make sure i have the 98 disk before doing it

last defrag was 860 days ago.... phew ...

thanks Evan.... and rest of you guys .

All the best...mark

ligito
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Be sure to have a few floppy disks handy, in case it asks for them.

DROtechguy
11-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Scandisk can create UNDO files if you choose so.

The hard drive WILL fail eventually. Guaranteed. They all do. Brand doesn't matter.

I would check around some thrift stores for the W98 cd. W98SE had no bootdisk. You can get a boot disk (Windows startup disk) if the BIOS doesn't support booting from cd. http://www.bootdisk.com/

I have used Gibson Research's Spinrite, since version 2. A definite must have, if you're maintaining multiple pc's, in my opinion. Seems expensive at first glance but it has saved me a bunch of cash over the last 20 years. http://www.grc.com

I used to fdisk, format, and re-install everything, about once a year, when I was running W95 and 98. Speeds things up a bit. For the single app you are going to run it's probably not necessary to do this on a regular basis though.
I have done this to the the three laptops I have owned over the years. IBM, Dell, and Compaq (not really a laptop. Portable I guess. The original, sewing machine sized unit :) )
Never tried on a Toshiba, so dig a little bit, for info, on whether it's a good idea or not. Toshiba tech support may be able to tell you....if you get to the right person.

aboard_epsilon
11-09-2006, 07:13 PM
yeah... just found on the net the full user manual ..now downloaded

and the actual service manual..........not a lot of use, as its over my head. lol

service manual ...scroll down

http://laptopservicemanuals.no-ip.org/index.php?page=71

user manual 4th from bottom

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?moid=1073769776&ct=DL&BV_SessionID=@@@@1826327345.1163023215@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddjfllemdhcgfkceghdgngdgnj.0

would you beleive that this computer cost over $2500 back in 1999 !

Alkl the best..mark

BillH
11-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Service manuals are absolutely required if you ever need to take apart your laptop. My friend was using my laptop and it slid off his lap, landed on wifi card and smooshed the PCMCIA slot inwards and lifted it away from the mother board. Yep, I fixed it but I would of never been able to take apart this laptop without that service manual. Talk about a cryptic jigsaw puzzle, just CRAZY! Only way to fix it was insert the new card while the computer was in pieces and assemble it back together. I left the card in there for a few months and everything eventually bent back to shape. I still don't take that card out unless I have to though. It's like I performed orthodontics on my laptop, same idea as braces.

J Tiers
11-09-2006, 11:45 PM
AS far as the HDD size, with some assistance from Evan and others, I replaced the HDD in my Satellite 1605. Needed a 10 gig, I put in the smallest I could find, a 40 gig.

Not only did it run OK, it addresses all of it, to the best of my ability to determine.... I certainly have not filled it yet !

So, probably no problem to replace. Only cost about $70, not bad for a "specialty item". I think I recall paying $400 for a several megabyte HDD long ago..... and thinking it was really large. Prices has went down.....

aboard_epsilon
11-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Darned silly prog .

Found that it would not do defrag ...not because it had errors (which it said it had) ...but because it had not been properly error checked

Did the error checking ...and it found non .

Went onto defrag then ...and then it defraged ....ITS doing it now :)

Looks like defrag prog must have proper evidence of error checking before it proceeds

This comp hasn't had any use by the looks of things ...there is a complete absence of dust in the fan ...it's like new .

All the best....mark

J Tiers
11-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Darned silly prog .

Found that it would not do defrag ...not because it had errors (which it said it had) ...but because it had not been properly error checked
Did the error checking ...and it found non .
Went onto defrag then ...and then it defraged ....ITS doing it now :)
Looks like defrag prog must have proper evidence of error checking before it proceeds
All the best....mark

That's odd, because it generally defaults to running the error check before it defrags. I have NEVER had to do it manually..... at least not with 98 , or 95 either.

Evan
11-11-2006, 02:41 AM
There are some bugs in the Win 98 defrag routine. In particular, there is one where defrag will tell you that errors exist and scandisk must be run. Run scandisk and no errors will be found. Run defrag and it will insist there are errors.

The fix is to run defrag and first defrag files only, then defrag free space only, then defrag all.

Millman
11-11-2006, 05:04 AM
The young man is Defineately " better at computers"