PDA

View Full Version : Used Shapers

SJorgensen
03-06-2003, 10:48 PM
I've been thinking about getting a shaper. One of the shapers I was looking at on ebay sold for only $102.50. (Of course then there is the subjecto of SHIPPING!) Just look at this shaper at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25280&item=2511916148&rd=1

My question is about the line between the practical size and too big. If this machine were in my city I would have been the new owner (I don't know if I could have talked my friends into helping me move that Behemoth.) I also don't have three phase power but I have used converters with success in the past. Also I remember how three phase power is so much different to use, because of how it draws more current depending on the load. And you just can't seem to slow it down no matter how thick a piece you are cutting. I have a SB 9" lathe and I would like to have a mill or shaper in about the same size or capacity. The mentioned Shaper is obviously outside of that criterion. Is the value of that machine basically inhibited by its weight or capacity? Are there other problems that are not apparent to the desirous shaper buyer?

Spence

Rich Carlstedt
03-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Yes Spence
AS shapers get bigger, they get cheaper.
A 7 inch may go for 500 while a 16 inch is hauled to the junkers even when free.
A 7 inch machine is ideal for a home shop.
A 10 inch is a heavy unit
a 12 is about max for a garage because you are probably looking at 3,000 to 4000 pounds.
I have a 7 and would only go larger if I came accross a hydralic powered shaper (last ones made and very smooth)
Another problem to be aware of, Shapers have GOOD vises !. but many shapers are stripped of their vises and that makes a "free" shaper worthless ...You will pay more for a vise that the whole shaper..

rtremaine
03-06-2003, 11:48 PM
here's one worth looking at: currently 400.00:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=633&item=2511808853&rd=1

randy t

SJorgensen
03-06-2003, 11:57 PM
I've been watching that one, but I don't go for the "prettied Up" machines. I think that the same machine was up for bid and didn't get ANY. Paint doesn't significantly change that for me. I need to find one in my area under some hay.
Spence

Oso
03-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Not completely worthless, before vises, people used table strips, and various hold-downs, supports and bracing. Me too, until I bought another shaper to get the vise.

At the moment thoug, it is off the table, and the work is held with clamps. That is the only way to get to the full capacity.

JCHannum
03-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Painted over old chipped paint looks worse in person than in pictures. 2000# sounds conservative for weight.
I have seen many nicer than this go begging. If there are any older machine shops in your area, there are probably lots of good old machines lurking in the corners you can snag for under $100.00. Keep an eye on industrial auctions, and ask yourself if you really need one.

BC21OSH
03-08-2003, 02:14 AM
With shapers, it's not a matter if we need one. They are just really great toys in the shop if you have the room and can afford an extra toy. I ran a 24" Cincinnati that had been donated to the college by a local manufacturing plant that no longer had any use for it in their shop. I really enjoyed playing with it. So much so that I had to have one but since space was limited, I settled for a 7" Atlas, unfortuneatly before I was able to get it reassembled after taking it dowm to pretty it up, I was forced to relocate. It's still in packing boxes.

Bernard

SJorgensen
03-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Dear Bernard,
It is painfully obvious that this shaper has caused you grevious harm' and provided you with no joy. Divest yourself of that damned burden now. I, in my most magnaminous gesture, will pay out of my own pocket (and maybe one or two others)for the shipping of this most damnible object to as far from you as Salt Lake City, Utah. You will never be harmed by the sight of it again. These boxes have burdened you enough. Be done with it, once and for all. I feel your pain.
Spence

Al Messer
03-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Spence, you ever sell used cars, or encyclopedias door-to-door? Ha! You're good!!

John Stevenson
03-08-2003, 10:33 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Messer:
Spence, you ever sell used cars, or encyclopedias door-to-door? Ha! You're good!!</font>

Not that good, he still doesn't have a shaper http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

billr
03-08-2003, 11:21 AM
good morning.

i would like to find a shaper too, but i am poor.

if anyone knows of a 'shaper deal' anywhere in or near east texas, i woul;d appreciate hearing about it. i would be willing to do a lot of work [retired] to make it right, but can't find one that is in my price range. maybe some of you 'multi-shaper folks' will take pity on me and offer me one cheap.

thanks.
bill

BC21OSH
03-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Spence,

I truly appreciate the offer, however since I must have some masochistic predication I plan to keep the little critter as long as it takes to bring it back to life. Since I took a serious beating already from a less than scrupulous machinery dealer on the East coast I am into it a little deep.

Bernard

SJorgensen
03-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Bill,
I've seen some of these machines go on Ebay for basically scrap value. The key I think, is to find one in your area. I recommend you use the "saved search" function on Ebay. It really is pretty cool. It can be set to send you an email when ever one appears on Ebay that fits your criteria, including price range and location. Then it's just a matter of sitting back and occasionally checking your traps. I have several set but haven't seen the machine for me yet. If an Atlas 7" wanders into my trap I'm gonna pounce on it.
Spence.

Al Messer
03-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Bill, Have you posted a message on the Yahoo!Shaper list? There's a guy named "Art" on it that seems to be able to find them pretty easily.

JCHannum
03-08-2003, 06:52 PM
I hope the guy that sold that one on eBay can afford some light bulbs now.

brunneng
03-09-2003, 03:09 AM
How come these are never 15 minutes from my house. Not that I could use it, but still

SHAPER, GEMCO, 24" STROKE, VISE, UNIVERSAL
Starting bid $450.00 ZERO bids so far in Detroit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2514116266&category=25280

brunneng
03-09-2003, 03:25 AM
Ok, so it's not 15 minutes away - more like 45 minutes. But it's even bigger.

Cincinatti Model 28 SHAPER machine no tools
$100.00 no reserve - between Merced, Ca and Yosemite
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2513933212&category=12584

Let's try this again. I wish there was a 7" model near by.

Al Messer
03-09-2003, 08:47 AM
Guys, and ladies, I have a 7" South Bend that can do a LOT of work, but there are times when I wish it had a longer stroke or a larger capacity. But it seems that the next size up, usually a 12", is getting into the monster machine size requiring 3 phase power and heavy to boot. I have often wondered if it would be possible to build a hydraulic one using limit switches like on a horizonal grinder to move the ram back and forth?

agbear
03-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Bill
Where are you located in E Texas. I recently acquired a 7" Amaco (sp) and may know where another one is. email me off list )billhood@gower.net) I live between Whitehouse and Troup.

Thrud
03-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Al
I have seen many conversions of shapers to hydraulic - most of them done badly. But it is doable. But I would only do it if the gear train is caked (or some other catastrophy) because the hydraulic is always noisier - and not as retro. I can sit and think while a shaper chugs away - kind of soothing...

Forrest Addy
03-11-2003, 02:24 AM
One thing you have to remember: everything too heavy to pick up weighs the same to a chain hoist. Two guys can muscle a 7" shaper. A 12" shaper has to be handled on wheels for horizontal motion and with a chain hoist for vertical motion.

I have a 24" Cinicnnatti shaper with the universal block I moved in my 3/4 ton pick-up - all 5400 lb of it. I built a lifting horse to lift it off the truck and set it on the floor. I roll it around (barely) on a pallet jack or pipr rollers.

The problem is knowledge and safety in moving heavy weights not the actual weight itself. So long as the rental company doesnt run out of equipment, I can move anything I want.

Al Messer
03-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Thrud,

I would not convert my little South Bend for the world. I was just thinking out loud, wondering if an "I" beam and a hydraulic cylinder and accessories could be used to make one of longer stroke but without all the weight. Just a pipe dream!!

allfoden
03-11-2003, 12:01 PM
The seller of the 16" shaper on Ebay username
PTCSELLS sells only first rate equipment.
His company Perry Technologies is about 15
miles from me and I have seen his equipment
for sale in person. He stands behind what he sells. He does have other shapers for sale from time to time.

Thrud
03-12-2003, 02:57 AM
Al

It would be a lot cheaper to adopt an orphaned monster like Forrest has. You can sometimes get them in top notch shape with all the goodies for nearly nothing. The weight scares most guys away - nothing like 10,000lbs of love! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Your only real cost would be moving it, so in the end it would be reasonable, but a PITA to move at a later date.

SJorgensen
03-12-2003, 02:46 PM
That's funny because it reminds me of my girlfriend!

Spence

Al Messer
03-12-2003, 08:11 PM
We won't go there for obvious reasons!! HA!

Thrud
03-13-2003, 02:58 AM
Spence
I would not say that out loud though. You could get crushed to death for insolence.

You should go see Steve Martins new "'boo" movie - it is a hoot. It is worth the price of admission to see Steve try to be a rapper... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif