PDA

View Full Version : I need some help!!!

dgh43
11-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi all, I'm in need of some help. I'm in a wheel chair and I do alot of hunting, I have to use the mount shown in the photo my problem is the plastic pully that turns the unit ( circled in red ) breaks real easy I'd like to have a few made out of metal so it don't break. Does anyone know who I could send one of my pulleys to to have a few made? Thanks.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/D_D4570/gunmount2.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/D_D4570/pully.jpg

A.K. Boomer
11-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention, i dont know why but that thing scares me, perhaps its the idea that it could be mounted somewhere with a camera and someone could pop somebody half way across the country while sitting in a coffee shop using thier laptop, Their are some custom on line machine shops that im sure some of these gents know about -- You just send them that piece and they will make a new one for you but be prepared for some wallet lightening:)

Carld
11-13-2006, 10:44 AM
If you do a google for cogged tooth pulleys and belts there are manufacturers that make those in many sizes. You may have to modify the bore, etc. to make it work but you should be able to get the sizes the keep the same ratio. It would be cheaper to buy the stock item rather than having a custom made pulley. You may have to buy both pulleys because they may not match the cogged belt you have now.

Willy
11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Try Stock Drive Components,I've got a couple of their catalogs in both inch and metric and I'd be very surprised if they can't help you.Good hunting.
Their website thingy....http://www.sdp-si.com/index.asp

Evan
11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Looks like 14 tooth and .2 pitch. I have quite a selection of metal cog belt pulleys at home. I'll have a look this evening when I get home and let you know if I have a suitable replacement. It may not be until tomorrow as my internet at home has been acting up. It would be helpful if you could post the shaft size and the OD across teeth of the pulley. I'm guessing that it is a .25 shaft but could be metric. If you can please post the distance between centers of ten teeth on the belt.

dgh43
11-13-2006, 12:34 PM
If you can please post the distance between centers of ten teeth on the belt.

What do you mean?

RPease
11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Count 10 links on the belt that drives the whole thing and measure the distance between the center of #1 and the center of #10. That way Evan will know what the pitch of the belt/pulley is.

Evan
11-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Measure distance "A" please.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/timingbelt.gif

Carld
11-13-2006, 01:22 PM
He means turn the belt inside out and measure from the front edge of one tooth counting to the tenth tooth and measure the leading edge of that tooth. So from the leading edge of tooth one to the leading edge of the 10th tooth is how far in inches and thousands?

JPR
11-13-2006, 01:46 PM
If Evan does not have one, then maybe modify the current pulley? I am assuming the inner hub is splitting. How about machining a simple steel ring to slip over the inner plastic hub?

dgh43
11-13-2006, 02:08 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/D_D4570/belt2.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/D_D4570/shaft2.jpg

I hope this is what yall meant. Theres one of the shaft too.

Evan
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Please measure over 10 teeth from the same point on the first tooth to the same point on the tenth tooth.

The calipers need to be completely closed on the shaft for an accurate measurement.

John Stevenson
11-13-2006, 03:01 PM
No need Evan, the size is on the belt 90 XL ;)

G.A. Ewen
11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
dgh34 , I think that I have one that will fit if Evan doesn't.

What kind of hunting do you do?

George

dgh43
11-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I hunt deer and squirrel mostly they stand still the longest:p . But I really enjoy punching holes in paper.:D

G.A. Ewen
11-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I hunt deer and squirrel mostly they stand still the longest:p . But I really enjoy punching holes in paper.:D

Yes I enjoy paper punching as well. My boys took me out grouse hunting this fall. I shot the ones on the trail and they tramped through the bush.

Here is a photo of a Spruce Grouse that I took with my HPA .177 .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GAEWEN/Air%20Guns/FirstkillHPA1377004.jpg

Evan
11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Yep, 1/4"shaft and 0.2" pitch. I'll look tonight. I have boxes of these left over from when I worked on photocopiers. I may even have one with the correct keying.

My boys took me out grouse hunting this fall. I shot the ones on the trail and they tramped through the bush.

:D Around my place I just open the door on the truck as I drive up the driveway and grab them by the neck.

dgh43
11-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Yep, 1/4"shaft and 0.2" pitch. I'll look tonight. I have boxes of these left over from when I worked on photocopiers. I may even have one with the correct keying.

That would be great just let me know what you want for it.

Evan
11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
I have a pulley that will work. I was able to modify one in my stash to do the job and it is all metal. Please PM (private message) me your address and I will send it to you. It will cost you a picture of it in use. :)

(Just the stand with rifle will do, outside :cool:)

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/tbpulley.jpg

It doesn't have the key but has a setscrew in the right place that will hold on the flat just fine.

John Stevenson
11-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa

I don't believe it, shades of the 21st century.
Evan with a DIGITAL caliper,

[ And it's showing the right time :D ]

dgh43
11-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Please PM (private message) me your address and I will send it to you.

I sent you a PM.

Evan
11-14-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't believe it, shades of the 21st century.
Evan with a DIGITAL caliper,
I found it on the road. :rolleyes: ;)

Evan
11-14-2006, 09:26 AM
DGH,

I am curious what prompted you to ask for help on this forum.

John Stevenson
11-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I found it on the road. :rolleyes: ;)

Lucky it didn't get scratched :D :D

A.K. Boomer
11-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I cant believe you got one of those just laying around Ev,, This may be a Wopticle dillusion (mainly because im the one looking at it) but what about gear teeth width? the plastic gear looks much taller to me as it sits no?

dgh43
11-14-2006, 10:17 AM
DGH,

I am curious what prompted you to ask for help on this forum.

Well I done a search for machinist forums cause I thought I was going to have to have one made. It didn't occur to me to just find one already made.:p

Evan
11-14-2006, 11:10 AM
I cant believe you got one of those just laying around Ev,, This may be a Wopticle dillusion (mainly because im the one looking at it) but what about gear teeth width? the plastic gear looks much taller to me as it sits no?

It's the same width as the belt. The plastic gear is slightly taller but part of the illusion is the angle I took the photo at. It will work. You wouldn't believe what I have laying around.... maybe you would... :D

DGH,

Well, you came to the right place. There are plenty of people here ready to help out. If it weren't myself George or somebody else would have fixed you up.

Doc Nickel
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I cant believe you got one of those just laying around[...]

-Actually, that's not even slightly hard to believe. I've seen literally dozens of that exact size belt (and cogs) in various printers and plotters.

The fact is, more and more companies are using more and more "off the shelf" parts, onbly using custom-made pieces when they absolutely need to. It's easier (source the parts from a manufacturer- that way you don't have to have the facilities to make them yourself) cheaper, and usually faster (they already have them on the shelf.)

The upshot of it is, that the same motor or stepper, belt and gear might be used in ten or twenty different products. And since they're making, using and then scrapping about a million or three photocopiers and printers every year, those of us that strip them down for fun and interesting parts tend to wind up with a basketful of them.

Doc.

Evan
11-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Doc,

It's really hard to find that stuff made from metal these days. They are all some sort of plastic. I have a bunch that will do ok but are some sort of injection molded fibre filled polymer, probably acetal. The metal ones I have are from long ago when a photocopier weighed half a ton for an ordinary office model. All electromechanical with nary a semiconductor in sight and a huge aluminum frame with a 1hp drive motor.