PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for follower rest

TGTool
11-14-2006, 05:41 PM
The follower rest that came with my Atlas/Craftsman just slips onto the back part of the dovetail so that seems a viable option.

Of course mine won't do that any more since I put a T-slot crosslide table on it, so I've got your same problem (more or less) though I do have the T-slots as a head start.

Jan

kenrinc
11-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Looking for some tips on a homemade follower rest. I need to thread some long thin rod on my Logan 10. The stock follower will not work because it is fastened to the tailstock side of the carriage and leads the tool meaning it will crash into the tailstock as I thread (left hand threads). I need something that will support the tool directly behind it. I've considered just bolting a piece of hardwood or a 6061 block directly behind the tool with ball bearings mounted on it but can't find any place to drill and tap for a bolt on the crossfeed. Maybe I should use the dovetail?

Ken-

BillH
11-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Frank Ford on this forum has this on his web page, quite a good web page...
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/Tooling/MiniFollower/minifollower.html

lynnl
11-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Something's odd about this thread. What appears to be the first response, from TGtools timestamped at 1041GMT, shows up ahead of what I assume is the initial question, by kenrinc timestamped 1043GMT.

Is TGTool clairvoyant? ...er what?

BadDog
11-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Sounds like you need what I've seen called a "box tool"?

Yeah, somebody has a time machine! :D

Al Messer
11-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Why can't you add some additional length to the part of the tailstock end of the screw that will allow you to turn the thread and later on cut off the excess?

TGTool
11-14-2006, 09:02 PM
... and now that I've done that, what are those stock tips worth to you?

Actually I have no idea how this thing did what it just did. But OT, it reminds me of a particularly clever scam I read about. Some guy had sent out a letter to investors touting his prowess in predicting stock futures. And to give them some confidence he wasn't just BS'ing them he made a specific forcast that a certain stock would go down the next week.

Well, about two weeks later, investors receive a letter pointing out that if they were watching the stocks he had been right on his prediction and they could have made money on that. And just to show that he wasn't just lucky, he'd give them one more free tip that another stock was going to go up this week.

Sure enough, it goes up as predicted, so they get a third letter soliciting real money if they want him to do stock advice for them.

The scam was this. He sent out the first batch of letters, half predicting a rise and half predicting a fall. So he was wrong on half the ones he sent. To the ones he'd been right about, he sent another letter, again divided 50/50. Now he had 25% where he'd been right both times so he just reeled them in. How do people come up with these things? They've obviously got more time to scheme than I do.

J Tiers
11-14-2006, 11:31 PM
I also have a Logan, and the same thing is of course true of it as for yours.

But, the follow rest actual support comes about an inch or more in from the tailstock side of the crosslide, because the rest is curved over towards the headstock. So it actually is within reach of the cutter if the toolpost is reversed.

Is there any particular reason you can't put the cutter on the tailstock side?

I have a 4-way post, so it's just a matter of reversing the cutter.... But I'd think that much the same could be done with a QC toolpost, even if the pressure will come on the wedge instead of the solid part of the dovetail.

Reversed, the pressure of the tool and the support are nearly or completely coincident.

Mcgyver
11-15-2006, 08:27 AM
The stock follower will not work because it is fastened to the tailstock side of the carriage and leads the tool meaning it will crash into the tailstock as I thread (left hand threads).
Ken-

what makes a thread left handed is changing the direction of rotation between the spindle and leadscrew.

to cut a left hand thread from the tail stock to headstock, reverse the feed direction and run the spindle in reverse and mount the tool upside down - this should let you cut the thread using the stock travelling steady you have

kenrinc
11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks all! Good ideas as always. I didn't even see the small QC toolpost mounted follower that Frank showed and I've been to his site before! He's basically using for exactly what I need but the follower is on the compound which means you have to adjust it after each cut. I guess that isn't the end of the world.

I could infact swap the side of the QC post (jtiers). To be honest I didn't think about that but the follower still crashes into the center on the tailstock or more specifically the tailstock barrel. But I bet I could figure something out.

I wanted to avoid adding any unnecessary length to the stock but with a follower actually working I guess it wouldn't matter. Either way I thank you for the help because I think I've gotten enough ideas to come up with something!

Ken-

kap pullen
11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
How about a self contained tool like this?

This rest body was hogged out of aluminum.
The rests are tool bits surface ground on the ends.

Hard bronze would work better on steel jobs,
but the steel worked on this brass one.

These parts are .125/.120 diameter with a 4-40 thread.
You guessed it, they twisted the first one off, and I
had to remake the handles to 3/8" diameter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/kappullen/follower2.jpg

Someone advertises a tool like this from time to time.

Kap

J. R. Williams
11-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Kap
You do not make parts like that from solid. Use threaded rod and drill and tap the knobs for the rod stock.

Nice looking follower unit. Similar to a standard screw machine box tool.

JRW

Al Messer
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
You say that your follower rest mounts on the compound? On my 10" Logan-made Power-Kraft, the follower rest mounts on the cross-slide behind the compound. Anyway you could post a photo of yours? Also, I can see re-adjusting the follower rest when actually turning; ie, reducing the diameter of the stock, but once that is done and you begin to cut the thread, why the need of further adjustment?

kap pullen
11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
JR,

I have to make them to MIL -TFP specs. (Make It Like- The Friggen Print).

If not, I get De-Merits.

Makes life interesting!

Kap

J Tiers
11-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Here are a couple pics of mine, which as you can see, handily fits the tailstock and a live center past the support. This is the follow rest shown in the Logan catalog, I don't know of any other type that mounts differently.

it's a little hard to see, but I have a threading bit set right in line with the supports. I could get it to the right of the supports if I wanted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/folow1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/folow2.jpg

kap pullen
11-16-2006, 09:16 AM
That posted by JTiers is pretty typical.

I made one for my 21X80 webb lathe lathe
years ago for an acme threading job.

I used a piece of 3/4" steel plate.

Drill it, bolt it on the carriage, bore the center hole,
saw the profile, and mill the slots for the bearings.

If the bearings don't point to the lathe center pretty close,
it can be a pia to use.

Old sparky may be needed for spacers or whatever.

You may have to be inventive on the jack screw mounts
and clamps.

Kap

kenrinc
11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
kap: like the rest. Very cool. jtiers: wow, that's not like the one I see in my Logan manual. Your's is cast over at least what looks like 1.5"? That's nice. I thought about just doing a pattern and casting one in aluminum. I'm sure it would work fine for what I need. I realized after reading your post that I could swap the QC to the right and reverse the tool and I'd be in business. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Ken

J Tiers
11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, something like 1 1/2" or even 2" to the support jaws.

Dunno... the picture in the manual may not be to scale.....

This one came off a parted-out Logan, as far as I know it's stock, fits the holes, shows up on-center, looks like the catalog pic, etc.

Didn't check for a casting number/ stock number, I'll look tonight.

How different is yours? Does IT have a casting number? Are you sure it's off a Logan? I think several types mount like that. Maybe one of us has a newer one, or one from a different machine.

The one Al Messer mentions does not sound familiar at all.

kenrinc
11-16-2006, 06:55 PM
I actually don't have a follower rest only a center rest. I figured, after looking at the pic of one in the manual, I could just work up a pattern and cast it but after seeing that pic of yours I was like, woah, that's different. I can easily just create a pattern based on what I see in the pic. Doesn't have to be perfect. The reality is that, and this is always the case, I end up starting another project to finish another project! I was looking for some quick!

K-

Al Messer
11-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I do not have a follower rest, either, and I mis-spoke last night when I used the term "Cross Slide" for its mounting location. The mounting holes for the follower rest (2) are on the Right hand side of the "Saddle" casting and would require a pretty good off set to line up with the center of the compound.

George Barnes
11-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Here are a larger steady rest and a follower rest along with the original steady for my 12" Atlas. I'm used to doing alot of flame cutting, so I just made patterns and used the products of those along with some bar stock pieces.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/gbarnes/SteadyFollowerRests.jpg