PDA

View Full Version : Was the BB down last night?

wierdscience
11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Last night when I tried to get here all I got was the background colors and a message saying something like"data backup has failed" or some other such gibberish,anyone else see this?

Jim Caudill
11-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Yep, same thing happened to me. The nessage also said that "tech support" had been emailed about the problem. You could get the HSM homepage, but not the Forum.

Evan
11-14-2006, 09:21 PM
I had the same problem. It declared a database error. This however presented the strangest problem I have ever seen and it has me completely stumped. I was able to log on the BBS using my wife's computer with no problem but not with mine. They both run from the same wireless router. I totally wiped out all caches and cookies on mine and it made no difference with Firefox or IE, I still could not get on. With my wife's machine I logged on and off as my usual self still no problem.

I cannot figure out what the difference is as both machines should look the same on the net since the router hides the machines by way of network address translation. Both machines are at the same software level.

PolskiFran
11-14-2006, 09:27 PM
I popped in for a look-see on saturday night and it was up and running. Cecil e-mailed me to see if I had trouble bringing the board up, but i probably missed the glitch.

Frank

Craig Foster
11-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I got the same thing last night, which was a complete surprise for me. Apparently we had a server that was shouldering too much of the load, so the guys on the night shift did some rearranging.

It wasn't planned or anything, otherwise I would have known and been able to shoot our a warning.

Craig

mochinist
11-14-2006, 09:40 PM
I had the same problem. It declared a database error. This however presented the strangest problem I have ever seen and it has me completely stumped. I was able to log on the BBS using my wife's computer with no problem but not with mine. They both run from the same wireless router. I totally wiped out all caches and cookies on mine and it made no difference with Firefox or IE, I still could not get on. With my wife's machine I logged on and off as my usual self still no problem.

I cannot figure out what the difference is as both machines should look the same on the net since the router hides the machines by way of network address translation. Both machines are at the same software level.I could explain it Evan, but it is pretty high level computer stuff, and I wouldn't to confuse you.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lane
11-14-2006, 09:43 PM
My old slow dial up worked ok.But I wonderd where every one was . Not many on last niggt.

BillH
11-14-2006, 10:08 PM

I cannot figure out what the difference is as both machines should look the same on the net since the router hides the machines by way of network address translation. Both machines are at the same software level.

Ah, its the NSA, they are tracking us with our MAC addresses! the Mac Address database thats secretly written into the BBS forum software had a crash. Thats why your wifes computer would work, her mac address wasn't flagged and therefore a lookup on the database that wasn't working...
This is my guess and Im sticking to it!

Evan
11-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Nope, MAC address of the router is the only thing the net sees. It doesn't matter how many computers are on the LAN side they all seem to originate from the router.

Once I deleted all the cookies I cold booted and still the same thing. Even stranger, I have never before used IE for the BBS from this machine. That says it can't be the browser but something to do with the computer in some other way.

dp
11-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Your two machines have unique cookie information stored in them from the BBS. Perhaps if you had wiped out the cookies on both machines and reentered the bbs with each clean system they may have presented the bbs more or completely alike.

Evan
11-14-2006, 11:28 PM
I did wipe the cookies on both. It made no difference. Even so, why would it allow me to log in on one but not the other?

An interesting part of it was the in the source code for the error page were some comments that don't show on the page. I didn't keep a copy but it said that "user dante"@"hsmbbs.homeshopmachinist.net logon refused with password 'YES' "

Who the heck is "dante" and why does it think I am he when I use my computer?

Joel
11-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Perhaps your computer has passed into the first circle of hell, possibly in an attempt to join Bill Gates in the fourth.

Evan
11-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Time for the pic again. :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/gates.jpg

Norman Atkinson
11-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Well, it was for me on the Scottish Border.

Dante? Now that is a confusing word. The sick comedie Francaise or Inferno or- if you really can do a pun in the Count of Monte Christo- Barren Danglers.

Well, that last bit was my view on the Cock Up( Ah, Yes)

Just a classical education?

Well,

Norm

Willy
11-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Same thing here,three computers, none could get on.Obviously working tonight...or I'm typing to myself again!

Your Old Dog
11-15-2006, 05:30 AM
I had the same problem but had it in the morning about 5am. I deleted the cookies and it made no differance. I sent them off an email as the error message suggested to do.