PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/Bridgeport head teardown

cadwiz
11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Started disassembly of the 2J varispeed head. Got the motor and upper housings removed, now down to the lower gear housing. Does anyone know how the spindle bull gear should be removed so the housing will come off? Seems kind of tight. A puller may work but I can't tell with all the grease if there is a keeper or something to remove first. I can't tell from the drawings if there's something else keeping this thing from moving. Looks like the spindle gear hub has a thread at the bottom but can't make out the details.

JRIowa, I know you've got a lot of experience. Any help here?

Thanks, Cadwiz

lane
11-21-2006, 08:44 PM
You wont need a pullery for any thing .that is as far as you can go untill you remove the three bolts holding the 2nd section. The bullgear assembly comes apart from the botton of the 2nd section . Get a manual befour you mess something up . Nothing will need any force to speak of to come apart. If you think you need force you are doing it wrong.Look for hidden set screws one behind the other in a few places.

cadwiz
11-22-2006, 08:37 AM
I appreciate the response about not using a puller. That's why I posted before trying that. I've got the three bolts removed from under the 2nd section and it will only lift up about 3/4" before the lower plate hits the bottom of the gear. I've removed as much grease as I can given the tight working space and can't see any other means of attachment. I've got three different copies of the manual but the details aren'y very clear as to what's holding the gear on. What I'm looking for here is someone that's done this before to say "ya gotta find and remove ______ first before the gear will come off". Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Cadwiz

cadwiz
11-22-2006, 09:43 AM
OK, got it now. I confused the three vertical tee nuts with the three lower housing stud nuts. Got them off and the lower housing is now removed. I see the splined gear hub is apparently what's holding the bull gear in place and a special socket is required to remove it. Will work on it later.
Persistence pays off again
Thanks, Cadwiz

lane
11-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Take care going back together . Those 3 long bolts with the 11/16 nuts on the bottom . DO NOT TIGHTEN more than finger tight untill YOU get every thing finished and power hooked back up. Turn mill on run about 500 RPM and shake top of head around it will move a little let it find its running center .Then and only then tighter the 3 nuts run RPM up anh listen and move Quill up and down check for binding and rubbing by listing to machine . if not ok loosen nuts go back thru process.