Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swivels

Guys,
    I have a large sculpture to build this summer, I need to find a supplier of swivels that can handle a lot of weight, they don't have to be hi tech or rare material, just strong.
    The local hospital has a childrens waiting area and asked me to build something for the kids outside the windows. I am think of a mobile with fishes and lures/flys. I need one to have the strength to handle 70 to 100 lbs. The other can be 15 to 20 lbs max strength.
    I am doing this one out the kindness of my heart, no money for me, just smiles.

Jerry
  • Techtchr
    • Jan 2002

Lazy susan bearings? I've seen these used in store displays to support and pivot quite a bit of weight. They're available at many woodworking supplies in a vatiety of sizes and they are inexpensive.I bought the last ones i needed from the local hardware store. Dunno about exposing them to the elements though.
    Matt

Comment

• ralenr
      • Dec 2002

Jerry,

Most boating supply houses (chandlery)that cater to sailors should have swivels that would suit your needs. They are available in stainless and some have bearings in them so the mobile would move freely. they come in a variety of load ratings for small dinghy's to large yachts. Not necessarily the cheapest items around but generally of very high quality.

Allen

Comment

• Stepside
        • Mar 2002

How about the rear spindles from a VW Rabbit/Golf/Jetta? This give you a sealed bearing, a mounting flange and the brake drum with studs to mount to. I used a set in a home built band saw. If it can handle a car at speed it should handle your device.
        Keep up the good work.

Comment

• firbikrhd1
          • Mar 2001

As mentioned above, ball bearing swivels for fishing. A bit pricey, very strong for their size. Use for big game fish as well as smaller fish in salt water usually. Just be sure you ask for the ball bearing ones and not the cheapies.

Comment

• Thrud
            • Mar 2001

Jerry
            If this is going to be over peoples heads, get coated/uncoated stainless aircraft cable with thimbles crimped on each end. The threaded chain connectors should be fine to connect everything. Marine or aircraft supply as well as large hardware distributors should have all this.

Comment

• Dr. Rob
              • Oct 2002

Yet again, fishing. Ball-bearing swivels for big-game fishing are a well-known and developed art. Available in any range of sizes with strengths guaranteed to up to 600 lb. Sampo is a goos name. Stay away from cheapos; there is a reason for their cheapness.
              Where? Try places like Meltons Tackle or Charkbait.com among many others.

Comment

• lynnl
                • Jan 2002

Don't know how many, or how big you need, but I was just in a local surplus store that handles a lot of machining tools (reamers, assorted HSS tools, drills, etc) and other hardware (plus lots of other stuff). I saw several boxes of swivels: snap, spring clip, and some that I'd call a kind of double 'D' (tho more of a square 'D'). ...about 1" 'D's. Probably had about 30 or 40 of those. Appeared to be chrome or nickle plated, with about a 1/4" swivel pin connecting the two 'D's. Looked to be pretty hi quality stuff. They were priced at $1.00 each.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                X